Baby born with broken ribs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-07-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard of a baby being born with broken ribs? My daughter's best friend had her baby yesturday and she was told a little while after birth that baby has 3 broken ribs. Baby weighed 11.5 lbs.

I've heard of a broken clavical, but never broken ribs. I'm guessing her Dr. was waaay too rough. I'm thinking she might want to put in a complaint. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Baby wearing, cloth diapering, work at home mommy of 6!
DD - 20, DD - 16, DD - 14, DD - 6, DS - 4, DD - 1:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 PM

The only other thing that came to my mind was brittle bone disease. I had seen a show on Discovery Health that was telling about a child that had this but they didn't know it for quite a while but when the child was born it had broken bones, although I don't remember where or how many. There are different levels of the disease and I believe it can be hereditary or just be a gene mutation. This may be the extreme but just another thought I guess.

Mama to my girls on earth and in heaven... innocent.gif K (10); energy.gifA (6); energy.gifL (3)

candle.gifBella (19 weeks) Jan '10; candle.gifRachel (16 weeks) Dec '10; candle.gifGrace (18 weeks) Oct '11; angel1.gif(10weeks)May '10, angel1.gif(4.5 weeks) Jun '07; angel1.gif(10weeks) Jun '98

#3 of 5 Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
osteogenesis imperfecta?

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 5 Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 PM

I agree with the 2 prev posters - osteogenesis impefecta or brittle bone disease is a congenital problem with the bones that lead the bones being broken very, very easily. This was the first thing that came to my mind, and hopefully will be the case for this little one's pediatric provider. Often parents are heavily scrutinized for child abuse before a child receives a diagnosis b/c it's so abnormal to have an infant with broken bones. If this child does indeed have this condition it would be a blessing for the family to find out so early!

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#5 of 5 Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
was the baby resuscitated? I am thinking that ribs breaking from chest compressions is possible- and who knows, a friend of mine caught a baby- hands off no shoulder dystocia, mom caught the baby herself and the baby had a broken clavicle, probably just the way the baby moved through the pelvis-
this baby being 11.5 lbs is a pretty big baby could just be an unusual fit near the tail bone or it could be if there was some moves done for shoulder dystocia- like supra pubic pressure that it compressed the chest and the ribs broke then hard to say.

User Tag List