For women who have had a posterior birth - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My second was born posterior (and her arm was folded over her face!) I managed to birth her that way at home. But the pain was INTENSE!!! Compared to my first it was EXCRUCIATING! My midwife was fabulous and managed to turn her inside me as she was making her way out, seconds before being born so she wouldnt get stuck.I had a doula and she was so amazing, she worked so hard for like 9 hours straight with barely a break (I dont remember her ever leaving my side) but she did say she went and ate for a bit but i dont remeber that . I highly reccomend a doula. I was so afraid to have another posterior brith for my 3rd one, I did everything my midwife told me the thrid pregnancy, regualr squats, leaning forward, never slouching etc... I used birthing from within techniques for my 3rd and that was awesome. I had an amazing (much less pain) birth experience this time around. and I made sure to not hold everything in, to just let go and let the labor happen, part of my problem is I was tensing up and releasing all of that and letting go helped alot. I feel like i learned how to birth after reading that book. Good luck!!
#32 of 46 Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM

DD was OP when I gave birth to her. Because my only other previous birth to compare it to was an induced birth (Pitocin), I cannot really say if the pain I experienced was beyond normal.
From what I remember is that I moved around a lot. I felt the urge to push very early on and my midwife ok'd it. I read somewhere that it was ok to push even without being fully dilated as long as they were soft, gentle pushes. That helped relieve the discomfort some. Although, I also had an anterior lip so I'm not sure if the early pushing caused that.
I was squatting a lot in the tub as well.
I guess I was not complaining much as we were all quite taken by surprise when she was born face-up. Apprently she was OP all along.
#33 of 46 Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

right about not blaming yourself re: position.

it usually just is whatever it is.
#34 of 46 Old 03-17-2010, 01:17 PM

DS1 was OP through most of labor (~22 hrs) but turned before birth.

DS2 was born OP after 6.5 hours of labor.

What helped: counter pressure & forward-leaning positions.

DD was OA. I did receive chiropractic care most of the pg because my pelvis was so uncomfortable. The main difference I noticed in the labor was that there was no back pain, and I didn't need counterpressure. Also, it was faster - 4 hours start to finish, and I think she was asynclitic some of that time because it went a lot faster after I tried some asymetrical positions and I felt a big shift inside me.

Which means with a perfectly positioned baby I might have (gulp!) an even shorter labor.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#35 of 46 Old 03-21-2010, 11:35 PM

Wow, it's really healing to read this thread.

I spent over $1000 at the chiropractor before birth, and that did nothing to prevent the unlucky positioning. I had around 20 hours of back labor. It was absolutely awful. The MW just kept shooting me with nubane. Then she did AROM. I completely blame the AROM for the resulting c-section.

Did any of you other OP moms have AROM? What I understand now is that the sack of waters helps the baby to position better. Seems like that should have been a basic point for my MW.
#36 of 46 Old 03-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizznicole View Post

I spent over $1000 at the chiropractor before birth, and that did nothing to prevent the unlucky positioning. I had around 20 hours of back labor. It was absolutely awful. The MW just kept shooting me with nubane. Then she did AROM. I completely blame the AROM for the resulting c-section.

Did any of you other OP moms have AROM? What I understand now is that the sack of waters helps the baby to position better. Seems like that should have been a basic point for my MW.
I did, at my request. I was already at about a 9 though, and we were hoping it would push me through transition faster (it did). The pain did get much worse immediately though.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#37 of 46 Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I had AROM, but I was about 9cm when my MW did it. I had been in transition for about 2 hours and we were hoping it would get me to 10, so I could push. I think it was a logical decision at the time, although I don't know if I will do the same thing this time around (if presented with another OP baby). I did spend another hour in transition, so I don't know if the AROM helped or not. I also got my MW to inject sterile water onto pressure points on my back. I highly, highly recommend trying it if you have another OP baby. It completely eliminated the "back aspect" of my labor for nearly an hour, which allowed me to rest fully between contractions.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#38 of 46 Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Me. As soon as my midwife arrived she said she wanted to transfer to the hospital to get an ob to do AROM. After that they slipped me some pit (without telling me) and of course that led to an epi and decels and c-section. The AROM was done around 4 cm I think.

For the second, the bag ruptured on it's own around 8 cms. It was a successful vbac. She still came out posterior though.
#39 of 46 Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

I was just reading an interesting article from Obstetrics and Gynecology. Of all singleton births at Brigham and Young Women's hospital in 1998 (study sample), only 5.5 percent were posterior occiput presentation at birth. So, many of them do apparently turn during labor and it is apparently relatively rare to have an OP birth.

However, of those that remained OP, only 26 percent were born spontaneously, while 29 percent were assisted vaginal deliveries and 45 percent were C-sections. Yikes! Another reason to be weary of the hospital...

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#40 of 46 Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 PM

My third child presented ROP. I was not able to complete the birth without an epidural--it was definitely off-the-charts painful, unlike my other births. I did have a (wonderful) doula and the L & D nurse was also a doula, so I had a supportive team, but after pushing unaware of his position, we discovered a swollen lip of cervix, tried positions to change his position and the swelling for around an hour, at which point I was experiencing involuntary pushing and gushes of blood...and demanded an epi. In the end, the OB actually reached in and turned the baby inside of me. I was very thankful for the epi at that point--I believe that this type of birth can be one of the reasons why epidurals are sometimes just necessary. Also, he was a very big baby (9 lbs 9 oz), which didn't make his presentation any easier to deal with!

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#41 of 46 Old 03-25-2010, 11:56 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ds was OP and weighed 8 lbs. 6 oz.

Having a doula really helped, and I gave birth on all fours. My doula kept a hot pack on my back while my dh pushed really hard on my lower back (creating counter-pressure.)

Also having oxygen available whenever I wanted it helped tremendously. (An oxygen mask I could grab at will.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#42 of 46 Old 03-26-2010, 12:05 PM

nak

Can't address pain b/c DD1 was epidural birth. But, she was born "sunny side up" after an 18 hour labor which included 2 hours of pushing.

DD2 was posterior too, but this midwife caught on at 40 week appt and had me at home on my hands and knees to turn her. She did turn, and was born perfectly positioned, drug-free, after 4 hours of labor (15 mins of pushing).

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#43 of 46 Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM

my posterior baby was my 3rd and final birth, and it went well.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#44 of 46 Old 09-29-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to revisit this post, now that I have had my baby!! During the entire pregnancy, I never reclined on my back, only on my left side. I slept on my left side about 90 percent of the time. I also saw a chiropractor through week 38, and she did Webster a couple of times, but this baby had settled into LOA (with back pretty much right against my left side) by 32 weeks. So, he was in a good position for the labor.

I decided not to get a doula, since I had done a lot of preparation on positions. I also did the Hypnobabies course to help cope with the discomfort. We once again started at the birth center. My water broke at 6 am in the morning at 40+3 weeks. Contractions started at 7.30 pm. Baby was 8 lb 9 oz, two oz heavier than first birth.

The labor itself this time around was equally intense/painful as my first! It felt like a steam train! Contractions started at 2 minutes apart, and only increased in duration, until there was practically no time between them. I worked through the early contractions using my hypnobabies, but at some point, when the pain got to be too much, it didn't work for me anymore (though I still recommend it because it helped me a lot to prepare for the birth and in the early first stage). As soon as the pain got really intense, I had flashbacks to my first birth -- I thought, "this is the same! I can't do it! I should have gone for the epidural/hospital birth." I labored on a birthing ball in the early stage (at 4 cm), then moved to the bed, first draped over a birthing ball and then on hands and knees (with DH providing counterpressure). I had to vocalize between contractions, doing "oohs" and "ahhs'" and then sounding like a whale/cow and then eventually a lion, roaring through transition and pushing. I moved to my left side for the last contractions right before pushing, and pushed him out on my left side.

This time, he came out in 3 hours and 15 minutes! The intense steamroller was extremely hard to withstand, but it was short. As soon as he was out, I felt an amazing sense of relief and elation, as I'm sure my body was pumped with endorphins. It was a fabulous experience!

So, even though I was hoping the pain would be less, it wasn't. This time I was more prepared to cope with the pain, and used different positions during labor. I do attribute his coming so fast to the position he was in (and of course the fact that he was my second vaginal birth). Oh, and he came out with a nuchal hand!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#45 of 46 Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My 5th was posterior. The only difference I really noticed was horrible back labor. My previous 4 labor were all quick (4 hrs or under) and while they were intense they weren't nearly as painful as my posterior baby. My posterior birth was still fast at 2.5 hrs but it felt much, much longer cause my back hurt so bad. Hands and knee position with DH pushing really hard on my sacrum with a warm compress was thonly thing that made it bearable. It also seemed like it took a little longer once fully dialated for that urge to push to come on. Usually it'd come on right away, but I had to walk around for about 15-20 minutes to move him down alittle further. Luckily my patience paid off and it only took a couple pushes once I felt the need to push.

Anyways, I planned to start seeing a chiro soon to hopefully avoid another posterior baby. I do think that he wasn't in great positioning since he came 4 weeks early. Maybe if he had sayed in as long as his siblings he would have been in better position?

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#46 of 46 Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Both of my babies have been posterior thoughout labor, rotating a bit before birth. Water broke with both about 12h before labor. I saw a chircopractor with my second (I was breech for awhile, he flipped) and he loosened the muscles. I also saw an accupuncturist in the same office. It really helped shorten my labor because althuogh baby remained posterior, she had enough room to rotate once she moved down the canal. What you can handle for 2 hours is different than what you can handle for 18.

My midwife thinks that my office job is a complicating factor.

The epidural I had with my first allowed me to avoid a c-section. I am grateful for it. I am also really grateful that I didn't have one with my second. Totally different experience.

I have no idea if my labors were "hard" compared to others but the things people describe are foriegn to me: there is no walking/talking/decisions/interactions/requests. I am pretty much a wild animal most of the time. Hypnobabies helped me through the early parts and gave me a lot of confidence going into the birth. I assume I just don't get a break between contractions like other people.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page