Mothering Forum banner

Consuming placenta questions

592 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Belle 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting my placenta encapsulated. I've had a rough pg and a lot of recent extended family stress and i am a little worried (maybe unnecessarily) about ppd. Here's my questions though. With both other kids I felt GREAT after having them. Happy, balanced, calm. Birth and pregnancy seemed to reset my hormonal system in a good way. Both times I had oversupply so I am not worried about milk supply- in fact the opposite- I am sure that I will have too much again.

All the benefits of pg and breastfeeding on my hormones ended when my pd came back after my 2nd ds (10 months)- I started getting seriously scary PMS with rage so I am trying to do anything I can to avoid that and keep my hormones regulated. I also had IF before conceiving ds #1 so I have a history of hormone issues.

I know this is rambling but I am wondering- so I sound like someone who needs to eat the placent or is that just silly to waste $200. when I've never had baby blues or ppd or milk supply issues? WOuld the placenta increase my already overproductive milk supply? Or would it regulate things?

TIA

#3 ·
Geez, I wish I could help you out.

If you lived near here, I have a friend who is (certified) doing encapsulation for $50. I am probably going to go for it since it's so cheap; I wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

But this will be my first experience with placenta-eating, so I can't answer any of your questions. Just wanted to give you a bump and some encouragement!

#4 ·
I just did a placenta smoothie, I like the idea of encapsulating but a smoothie was easier/cheaper (midwife made it) and really it just tasted like a yogurt and berry smoothie.

I feel better this time but I don't know if that's because I'm actually taking the time to recover, the awesome birth, the smoothie or a combination.

#6 ·
nak
I did it myself. We already had the dehydrator for drying herbs that we bought at Goodwill for around $10. (They always have two or three of these) I steamed the placenta in pieces first then put it in the food dehydrator. Then I ground it in our Magic Bullet Coffee grinder attachment. Then put it in the capsules. It cost me an afternoon and the cost of the capsules.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.