Actual Experiences with TENS in labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning and hoping for a natural delivery for my twins who are due in September. In my state I can't use a midwife, but I've found a very supportive OB and am interviewing doulas right now.

I'm interested in using a TENS machine during labor. I've had good experiences with similar devices for other issues, so I think I might be a good candidate for having the TENS work for me. I found one that has gotten good reviews (mostly in the UK) through eBay for a decent price (around $60) and was thinking about ordering it (it's one of the maternity models with the boost button).

I just wanted to hear some actual experiences from those who've used a TENS unit during labor. I did a search but a lot of those threads are old. Thanks!

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 AM

I'm interested in hearing any replies too! I didn't use a tens in labor but started using mine after my last baby. It makes a huge difference in my back pain now. If I ever get preggo again I will totally be using it in labor!

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 AM

I used a TENS in labor with my first baby. It worked for me well, until I hit transition and forgot to use it. But by then, I was so "in the zone" I could have cared less about the darn TENS, and even if I had, I'm not sure if it would have made a big difference. I had a pretty fast transition, and didn't feel out of control at all. I was able to have a completely un-medicated labor/delivery.

I don't know what the current models are like, but in 1994, you had to manually dial it up and down with each contraction.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM

I used one for my last birth - also bought a UK model (called the Obi TENS). It was fantastic! I put it on and started using it as soon as I thought I might be in labor ( to help build endorphins). I just kept using it though my labor along with my hypnobabies hypnosis. I was still using it (and it was great) when I started feeling pushy. As soon as the pool finished filling I took it off and got right in the pool. I def. noticed a difference in how labor felt after I took it off, even with the hypnosis, but that also could be because my son was born about 15 minutes after I got in the pool.

I'd give it a big
Old 03-18-2010, 10:44 AM

I was living in the UK for my last birth and used one. I think it helped and I definitely noticed a difference when I took it off. I only had it off on "dry land" briefly as I was getting into the birthing tub. I did realize, when I took it off, that I had accidentally forgotten to turn it down between contractions at some point, so perhaps it's usefulness was waning. But during early labor it seemed to help.

User Tag List