Mothering Forum banner

Labour snack ideas - preferably sticking with a GD diet!

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  rootzdawta 
#1 ·
I don't have GD - and I seem to make big babies either way. DS was cooked on cakes (literally lol) and he was 10 and a half pounds...This one seems to be big despite being well behaved and on a GD diet from pretty much the start of this pregnancy.
I was planning on caving when I went into labour and just snacking on what I fancy - which will indeed be cakes lol...

But what would be a better and healthier choice in labour snacks? What would a person who did have GD snack on during labour?

TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
I didn't have GD, but was borderline. I loved snacking on nuts during labor. Almonds, especially. (Plus we delivered in a hospital, and nuts were really easy to eat quicky in case a nurse came in the room
. Technically we had permission from my OB to eat during labor, but the hospital staff were pretty disapproving of it. It was my only real complaint about my hospital birth).

And thank you, Ann of Loxley, I am now craving cake.

#3 ·
I had GD throughout three pregnancies, and honestly, they usually don't care at the point you are giving birth. Whatever you eat is unlikely to affect the baby's size at that point. If on insulin or meds, you are told not to take them that morning (assuming you're induced...as is often the norm for diabetics).

GD friendly snacks would be nuts, cheese sticks, apples (whole fruit of any kind), berries, protein (sliced turkey, chicken, hard boiled eggs), etc. As sometimes you really don't feel like solids, I would make up some really good homemade broth or something along those lines.

#5 ·
I made a big zucchini frittata to take to the hospital last time. Of course once there was a transfer of care they wouldn't let me eat it, but I did while the nurse wasn't looking and it was the best thing ever after my C section.

It would be very GD friendly because it's just eggs, cheese and zucchini (oh and probably onion and garlic too) baked in a big lasagna dish.

#7 ·
Well, I'm planning on having honey sticks and emergen'c for energy boosters. I never really want to eat anything while in labor, so I don't have anything else planned. After birth, however, I'm always STARVING, and I like things like scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc., so I have that on hand. I think cake would make me sick, lol, but if it sounds good to you, I say go for it!

#8 ·
I have absolutely no good ideas, because when I was in labor with my second I was walking the hallways and found the small kitchen....in there I scored the holy grail of chocolate pudding and it's all I wanted to eat my entire labor. This pregnancy I am TRYING to be prepared in advance, but man breathing thru contractions on a birthing ball with someone feeding you chocolate pudding, actually is quite marvelous!

#9 ·
I don't have GD and this is my first so I have no frame of reference BUT since I'm due in July and all I've been craving is FRUIT (in any form) that's what I'm planning on having around....

In an ideal world, I will have had time to stock my freezer with yummy, nutritious, easy food for afterwards. Also I would love to do some baking (cookies!!) or get something in the crockpot while labour is still manageable. But, no matter what, I plan on having fresh fruit (especially berries! small and bite sized!), nuts, things along those lines. If I end up deciding I need a sandwich, oh well, but fruit and nuts are my go to snacks in every other situation....

#10 ·
You could always make a healthier cake... like one with some almond flour or oatmeal in it... and good antioxidant rich cocoa powder.

Actually, now that I'm thinking of desserts, one of my favorites is not totally GD-unfriendly, but I think it would be hard to transport...LOL... it's a pavlova. Nice big meringue (egg whites=protein), whipped cream, fresh berries... Yummy. Only sugar is in the meringue bit.... and usually a little cornstarch/corn flour, vinegar..... the whipped cream you could even leave unsweetened and just add a splash of vanilla or something (or agave).... yum. OK... off to see what I have in the fridge.... I think I have everything but whipping cream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.