Why did my legs hurt during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious of the physiological reason for this. During both my labors, when labor started to really get active, the worst pain I felt was in my upper legs/thighs. Its hard to descrbe the pain, but it was like nothing I have felt before, a pulling type pain, and it came on at the end of the contractions. In my second labor, I learned to love it since I knew it meant things were happening fast.

Anyone else had this and understand what caused it?
#2 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 12:40 PM

I've been having that sensation for a while now (no baby yet though!). I could be wrong, but I think it's the muscles in the legs being pulled up by the contractions that start in the abdomen. I mean, everything's all connected, after all.
#3 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 PM

I had some of that too. My theory is that it happens just because of all hormones and pressure of the baby working to open the pelvis up for the baby to exit. But I think some of it is just referred nerve pain too, because I've had mild versions of it with menstrual cramps.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#4 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Mine did too. I do get much milder versions during menstrual cramps and my friend gets that leg pain too.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#5 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyster View Post
Mine did too. I do get much milder versions during menstrual cramps and my friend gets that leg pain too.

Gosh, its been so long since I had a period (got preg with #2 just after stopped BF'ing #1) that I totally forgot that I had a very mild version of the leg pain with cramps, too!
#6 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 PM

there are multiple reasons for the pain radiating down into your legs during labor and late pregnancy.
1. the femoral artery passes through the inguinal canal and can be compressed by downward pressure of contractions and the weight of the belly
2. pressure on the baby to the nerves in the lumbar and sacral area can directly cause pain.
3. referred abdominal pain
4. diversion of blood flow from the lower extremities to the abdominal cavity (gotta get the oxygen to the uterine muscles when they are working hard!)
etc.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#7 of 12 Old 03-25-2010, 04:41 PM

I get this during menstral cramps as well.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#8 of 12 Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 PM

I had horrible leg pain with both my labors, esp. DS'. I've always wondered why....?
It was honestly the worst part of those labors!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#9 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ligaments are connected to your upper thighs from your abdominal muscles and uterus. When those muscles are tense the ligaments feel the strain, causing pain in your upper thighs.

Mother, wife, doula, and lactivist.
#10 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 05:49 PM

I had horrible hip pain during labor that radiated down into my legs. My theory now is it was because of my tight hip flexors. I've been working on a lot of bound ankle pose and pigeon pose in hopes that it will help this time around. I have no idea at all if this is related to the type of pain you had though.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#11 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
I get this during menstral cramps as well.
Me too! In fact, I get a twingy/crampy feeling in my legs just as I'm starting...it's how I know Never experienced it in labor, but my labors were both cut short by c-sections.

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#12 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 AM

I get this, and I always figured it was just an extension of back labor, or the pain radiating from my lumbar region down my legs. Mine doesn't ebb and flow--it is constant once active labor hits, just like my back labor. being in a pool helped this, somewhat.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page