Is the only "cure" for placental abruption delivery, or can it be fixed surgically? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'm not asking for any real person, lol. But DH and I are in the middle of watching a TV series on Netflix and in one of the episodes, the female lead character had a placental abruption late in her pregnancy, and on the show, they fixed it with surgery. A short surgery, at that, only 40 minutes.

I know it's just a TV show and everything, but I was just curious if this is ever done in real life.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#2 of 6 Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I'm not asking for any real person, lol. But DH and I are in the middle of watching a TV series on Netflix and in one of the episodes, the female lead character had a placental abruption late in her pregnancy, and on the show, they fixed it with surgery. A short surgery, at that, only 40 minutes.

I know it's just a TV show and everything, but I was just curious if this is ever done in real life.
Let me guess. It was Private Practice? Grays Anatomy?

I have never seen more inaccurate -- dangerously inaccurate! -- information on pregnancy and birth anywhere else on TV than I have on those shows.

This presentation on the subject does not list a surgical fix -- unless a classical C-section would be a "fix."
http://www.slideshare.net/boblhen/ab...centa-original

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
No, actually it was Alias, lol.

It didn't sound right to me, but I didn't know for sure.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#4 of 6 Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't even figure out how you'd "fix" placental abruption with surgery (other than a c/s!) Like what did they do, sew it back onto the uterus?? Geeze. It's really irritating that shows like that can't be bothered to get basic medical info right!
#5 of 6 Old 03-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in a bad car accident in my second trimester with DS. I had to stay 24 hrs in labor and delivery being monitored, one of the things they were worried about was placental abruption. Pretty much what it came down to was DS was not developed enough to survive out of my womb, so if there was one, we would have lost him. No one said anything to me about it being able to be fixed, so I would say it most likely cant. Was the scarriest day of my life

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#6 of 6 Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no can't be fixed by surgery- placental abruption is where the placental bed separates away from the uterine lining there is blood loss , the blood can be trapped between the placenta and the uterine wall or can come out. Although it looks like a hunk of meat the placenta is basically an organ it attaches by sending out spiral arteries that settle in and grow into mom's fluffed out endometrial tissues that are also filled with spiral arteries there is some remodeling of the circulation and the nearness of the baby's arteries to mom's arteries allow nutrients and waste to pass between mom and baby- those little bits of micro-circulation would not be easy to repair because they are very small and numerous- now if a part separates the body may wall that bit off and clot and there still be enough circulation function left for the baby to be fine but not always - and the blood is irritating to tissues so it can cause contractions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page