Birth ball or fitness ball? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I want to buy a birth ball on Amazon but birth balls are twice as much as a fitness ball. I don't know what the difference is really. This one,

http://www.amazon.com/TKO-Anti-Burst...932265&sr=8-14

is anti-burst so don't you think it would be suitable? I'm about 130lb. Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 05:24 AM

Same same. Buy a fitness ball

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#3 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 AM

There is no difference - they are the same thing! lol

The only thing you may want to consider is the size of the ball.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#4 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM

I'd recommend a larger size than the one you've posted. I didn't want to buy one, so I ended up laboring on Mom's Pilates ball, but it was really too small for me. It was ok (mostly I wrapped my arms and torso around it while kneeling), but I would have LOVED a slightly bigger one. I think 65 cm is recommended for an average-size woman, but I think I would have preferred a 75 cm.

HTH!

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#5 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm 5 feet so it says 55cm would be the right size for me. When I read a review, a woman who is 5'' 4 said that 55cm was too small. Should I get a 65cm?
#6 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM

I'm a fitness instructor & have been trained in teaching stability ball work. I agree, buy a regular old fitness ball!! Same difference! I think the concept of a "Birth ball" is honestly kinda silly... just because you're using it for a different purpose shouldn't change the name of the item! Those things have tons of uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
I'm 5 feet so it says 55cm would be the right size for me. When I read a review, a woman who is 5'' 4 said that 55cm was too small. Should I get a 65cm?
I'm 5'4" & I really do prefer a 65 even though I'm supposed to be on a 55. HOWEVER - I have long legs for my height. The rule I learned was that when sitting on the ball, your hips should be about level with, perhaps slightly below your knees.

Bear in mind, however, that the amount you inflate them can make a big difference. A harder ball is more challenging to work with - which, if you think about it, makes sense. It's harder to stay balanced on a firmer ball vs. a squishy bean-bag-chair like ball. So I say buy the bigger one because you'll want it slightly on the squishy side anyway - if you chose to sit on it in labor, it shouldn't be super challenging for you to stay seated on it. You don't need it for workout purposes while in labor!
#7 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM

I am 5'4 and went for 65. Its perfect.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#8 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluhia View Post
Same same. Buy a fitness ball
Yup. I bought a cheapo one from Target and it served its purpose beautifully.
#9 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM

I'm 5'6" -- would you guys recommend the 65cm or 75cm?

Also, this may be a weird question, but since this is my last baby, would the ball be suitable for my children to play with after I'm done with it? I assume I could just wash it with soap and water if it gets dirty, right?

Michelle, Christian , sahm, homeschooling , breastfeeding , no vax, blogging , photographer mom with ADD and Social Anxiety Disorder Mom to 4 boys, 3 girls.
#10 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioleabha View Post
I'm 5'6" -- would you guys recommend the 65cm or 75cm?

Also, this may be a weird question, but since this is my last baby, would the ball be suitable for my children to play with after I'm done with it? I assume I could just wash it with soap and water if it gets dirty, right?
Hm, I'd probably say 65cm still. Although see if you can try one first, maybe at a gym or sporting goods store.

Yes, absolutely! You could wash it. I'd just be careful about where they play with it. It's absolutely inevitable to fall off the thing! As I always tell members in my classes - it's a right of passage, so don't feel bad! So you just have to be sure if you roll off to the side, you don't slam into something that can hurt you (or you could destroy it!)

A fellow fitness instructor who's also a physical therapist told me she read of a study that had kids sitting on balls in class. Because they had to engage their muscles a bit to stay ON the ball, they actually were also concentrating better in school! It's great for posture & core strength to just sit on one instead of lounge back while working. &, of course, the excises you can do with them are innumerable! they're awesome!
#11 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 PM

This is so great to hear! I also want a "birth ball" but was just going to get a regular old fitness ball, because they are cheaper and I want to use it for exercises after the baby comes. Glad to know they will serve both purposes.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#12 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 PM

Just make sure it is burst resistant. If it gets poked with something sharp, you want it to slowly loose air and not burst with you landing hard on your back. I haven't seen any for sale in stores lately that don't say burst resistant - but I have seen ones in action burst. You can get really hurt.
#13 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

So...what size would you recommend for me? I'm 5 feet. 55 or 65cm?
#14 of 16 Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
would the ball be suitable for my children to play with after I'm done with it?
I recently bought a new one (see below) and you would think I brought home Disneyworld. It's this and this and this all. day. long. The kids will not leave it alone. I nearly have to fight them for it.

Quote:
Just make sure it is burst resistant. If it gets poked with something sharp, you want it to slowly loose air
Yeah, like by a 3 yo with a diaper pin. My dd was going thru a poking things with other things stage shortly after ds was born. (and yes I know my 3 yo shouldn't have had access to an open diaper pin )

FWIW I got this one since it's phthalate free. It doesn't say so on amazon but I found it elsewhere with that claim in the description and when I received it, the package info did confirm it. I'm between 5'4" and 5'5" and the 65 cm is just right for me. I do tend to carry my height in my legs though.

Sara:  Playing ref to my jumpers.gif    Sweet Pea 10 read.gif Tootle Pants 7 bouncy.gif& Trouble Monkey diaper.gif 18 mo

#15 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 05:45 AM

I'm 5'3", use 65 cm. LOVE it. Used it when pregnant, used it during labor, used it afterwards to bounce the baby to sleep. Now it's in the play area and I sit on it when I'm in there playing with the baby and the floor is getting too hard for my pregnant butt, haha. One of the best preg/baby things I ever bought.

And yes, it's just a fitness ball, it's the same thing.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#16 of 16 Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
Hi,

I want to buy a birth ball on Amazon but birth balls are twice as much as a fitness ball. I don't know what the difference is really. This one,

http://www.amazon.com/TKO-Anti-Burst...932265&sr=8-14

is anti-burst so don't you think it would be suitable? I'm about 130lb. Thanks!
I agree with what some of the others have said. I would just make sure it can hold you bouncing and that is is burst/slow leak or puncture resistant.
Most are pretty good and strong now. A few years ago their was more of a difference, but now a lot seem to conform to some basic safety standards.

I would also make sure you can clean it easily and that it is slightly textured. If it gets wet you wouldn't want it to be slippery.

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page