hair loss after birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-05-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am losing my hair like CRAZY! i just want to know when i might expect it to stop falling out. i'm so tired of picking it off everything in sight. my baby is 3 1/2 weeks. thanks.
#2 of 12 Old 03-05-2004, 09:43 PM

this is normal, although no fun! my hair started falling out each time about a month postpartum... the worst was over in a week or so. i've heard that taking your prenatal vitamins postpartum can help with this, but if you're already losing it then all you can do is brush really well first thing in the morning, ponytail the rest back and love on your baby!

katje
#3 of 12 Old 03-05-2004, 11:50 PM

with my first, it took a few months. with my second, it took about SIX months! i was thinking rogaine! the hair follicle goes into a resting stage or something.....it certainly makes a mess in the bathroom! like we need one more thing to clean up! i know every mom is different---wish i could say it would stop tomorrow hang in there!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#4 of 12 Old 03-06-2004, 02:15 AM

Well, thank God I have really thick hair, but...

I can't remember exactly how long it lasted with the first four, been too long, but my baby is now 13 months old, and i'm still picking a handful out of the drain after every shower (good thing my showers aren't that often hehe.)

It'll pass.
#5 of 12 Old 03-07-2004, 11:18 PM

Ugh...I'm 15 weeks PP, and still losing tons of hair!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 12 Old 03-08-2004, 02:17 PM

I got pregnant when my son was 10 months old, and I was still losing hair, though not in such big clumps. It had slowed down considerably. Now that I'm pregnant, it's falling out again.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#7 of 12 Old 03-08-2004, 02:39 PM

No advice, just sympathy!

#8 of 12 Old 03-08-2004, 05:22 PM

Ack, I remember just losing fistfulls of the stuff in the shower, the pillow, everytime I ran my fingers through...

It slowed down at about 6 months (peaked around 4), and now at 9 months PP, it's finally growing back-- I've got these fine wispy bangs now, kind of like being a little kid again!

It *will* stop, and it *will* grow back. I promise.
#9 of 12 Old 03-10-2004, 02:26 AM

I read, somewhere, that it happens because while you are pregnant you lose very little hair (normal hair loss is like fifty hairs a day for your average non-pg human) and after you give birth all the hair that SHOULD have fallen out when you were pregnant falls out then.... rather dramatically in my case, as I remove hamster-sized clumps from my hairbrush and have to stop to clean the drain midway thru a shower as the water begins to back up :LOL

Anyway, yes very normal, don't worry, it will stop but it may take a while for your scalp to 'catch up'
#10 of 12 Old 03-10-2004, 02:47 AM

I'm odd but I loved the hairloss(about as much as I loved hair not growing on my legs when pg) I have alot of hair on my head and it's really really thick so when I lost it I had normal hair. Mine didn't start until I was around 6wks pp and it stopped around 5months. This may be TMI... The best spot that I lost it was the pubic hair. That's the only spot my hair grows when pregnant, I'm talking 4-5inch hair. I had no problem when it left there.
#11 of 12 Old 03-10-2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natural Blessings
I'm odd but I loved the hairloss(about as much as I loved hair not growing on my legs when pg) I have alot of hair on my head and it's really really thick so when I lost it I had normal hair. Mine didn't start until I was around 6wks pp and it stopped around 5months. This may be TMI... The best spot that I lost it was the pubic hair. That's the only spot my hair grows when pregnant, I'm talking 4-5inch hair. I had no problem when it left there.
Ya know, it never even occurred to me that pubic growth would change. I haven't noticed any difference while preggers or nursing.

I did however notice that the hair on my legs grew sslllllooooowwww while I was pregnant with ds. I only had to shave once/week.
#12 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 05:43 PM

I didn't have the pubic growth with my first(or I didn't notice it). With my 2nd term pg I couldn't figure out why it felt like I kept getting yeast infections. Once I was postpartum and it started falling out I couldn't believe how long they were and it explained the itching. They would also straighten out. With my last pregnancy I cut them short and I didn't have yeast infections.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page