Why do women choose inductions when they are healthy and the baby's not near 42 weeks?!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard my office manager tell one of my other co-workers about one of our other co-workers who is "due" Monday with her second child, a boy, that she's going in to be induced. I asked my office manager about that and she said, well, he's 40 weeks so he's ready, and she's been at 2 cm for two weeks and nothing's happened further, and she just wants him out. After all I have read about how birth naturally happens and what inductions can do, I can't help wondering why an otherwise healthy, somewhat crunchy (vegetarian, but vaxxes) well-educated woman would actually choose induction? I feel like sharing the article http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-b...inducing-labor with her but I don't know it's my business. I just hope she doesn't wind up with a c/s.
#2 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 03:20 PM

My friend opted for this, also with her second. She said she was just tired of being pregnant, and wanted the baby to come out. I know it's not best, but with a woman who's already had a vaginal birth it's not nearly as risky, either (from what I've heard, at least). I wouldn't do it, but I don't think it's wrong for other people to make their own decisions about it.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#3 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Honestly, I don't think it's all just "tired of being pregnant," although I do think that contributes to it. But, there's a lot of talk among docs about the placenta starting to die off, and there's a lot of fear that, if you let it go too long, your baby will suffer for it. My SIL, whose first daughter was born on time but was only about 6 pounds (as opposed to her later 8 and 9 pound babies), is totally convinced that her EDD was miscalculated, and that niece was so small because her placenta was starting to die off.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#4 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Mostly I think it's fear. OB's will start guesstimating babies weight, and saying that they will have issues with babies that big...or sharing horror stories of placental insufficiency after 40 weeks, etc...

Additionally, in our culture pregnancy is really viewed as a "very difficult time". You know, the whole can't wait to get it overwith mentality, rather than celebrating the miraculous event that only women can do! We all know that it can get uncomfortable, and some women really suffer, but it's a time of selflessness..just like all parenting...

I was ignorant when I was younger. I allowed myself to be induced, with a prostoglandin tampon (not even sure what it was!) at thirty eight weeks because my OB said my baby was "huge". Uh, he was 8 lbs 10 oz and I pushed for 15 minutes..my body could have handled another several weeks of pregnancy.

I don't think inductions for multipara's are entirely bad and evil if that's what mom wants. Risk/benefit ignorance is, though.

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!
#5 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 03:59 PM

See, I don't think other's decisions would bother me so much if they were researched decisions, kwim? Everyone induces here! But me. And no one I've talked to has ever read anything on it. truly.

So for me, it bothers me that women in general give up their autonomy by not seeking out information about the decisions they are making. But there's really not much you can do.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#6 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah. <Sigh> I just wish women - and people in general - would really educate themselves instead of just taking what "professionals" say for granted. Especially when it's about their health and their kids' health. I did some reading before my DD was born (via c/s after laboring over 25 hours at home and birth center) but I have done much more since then.
#7 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Keep in mind you probably don't know the whole story. It may be that she's just ired of being pregnant, or it could be that she has valid reasons for not wanting to go far overdue. It's easy to judge, but when you are getting the information thirdhand, remember that you're not always hearing all the facts.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#8 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 04:26 PM

I can't speak for sure about you co worker, but I think it's a few things. The risks of induction and the potential for prematurity are minimized. The risks of postmaturity are blown way out of proportion. And our culture really values the ability to control and schedule things. Especially in the medical model, having things "predictable" = safe. Plus, i've never met a woman who wasn't just "ready to be done" at 40 wks, myself included. I can see how a woman trusting her OB would be very easy to convince!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#9 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Keep in mind you probably don't know the whole story. It may be that she's just ired of being pregnant, or it could be that she has valid reasons for not wanting to go far overdue. It's easy to judge, but when you are getting the information thirdhand, remember that you're not always hearing all the facts.
Yes this. She could be concerned about PIH or pre-eclampsia or late pregnancy loss if she has family histories of any of those things. She could be trying to assure that a particular doctor attends her delivery (particularly if she is not comfortable with other doctors in the practice), or to make sure that the baby is born while a particular family member is in town, particularly if she has elderly family who have trouble traveling or relatives who are about to be deployed. She may be anxious to have the baby NOW, while she is certain she isn't having a herpes outbreak.
#10 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFillingQuiver View Post
Mostly I think it's fear. OB's will start guesstimating babies weight, and saying that they will have issues with babies that big...or sharing horror stories of placental insufficiency after 40 weeks, etc...

Additionally, in our culture pregnancy is really viewed as a "very difficult time". You know, the whole can't wait to get it overwith mentality.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I can't speak for sure about you co worker, but I think it's a few things. The risks of induction and the potential for prematurity are minimized. The risks of postmaturity are blown way out of proportion.
& this too!

& while it's true that there may be other, vary valid reasons for this particular woman to chose induction, it's also very true that lots of women truly DO chose induction for no other reason then, "I'm ready to be done." Period! I've heard it straight from the horse's mouth NUMEROUS times. (And, yes, they could have lied if there was a good reason they didn't want to share, but I doubt they would have offered it up the fact that they'd been induced in that case! So I doubt that could have been applicable in several cases I can think of.)
#11 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM

If I had a dollar for every time, in my last month of pregnancy, I've had someone say to me "Why don't you just go get induced?" I'd be a rich mama. By women that act like I am insane for "wanting" to bother with going past 38 weeks. It's kind of nuts.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#12 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
an acquaintance had a planned csec at 37 wks bc she didnt want to be 9 mos pg. 8 was her limit.

i think for most women, its #1: their ob's dont tell them the truth about the risks, #2: they dont bother to find out on their own, and #3: this has been going on so long that its just the done thing. its not strange anymore. when i was indiced with ds1 (42 wks) my mother was actually shocked bc she didnt know such a thing could even be done. nowadays, i guess ppl dont realize spontaneous labor can be done.

Bring back the old MDC
#13 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 PM

I think induction is just part of the 'culture' of control, overmanagement, impatience and fear that is today's mainstream birth culture.

SURE, all medical tests and procedures DO have a place in someone's treatment but I doubt ALL inductions are really needed (from a medical perspective).
Some have to do with the mother/her husband and relatives/friends and co-workers/TV shows websites etc........saying that induction can get that baby out when you are ready so why wait? The care providers might be going out of town/have a party or their daughters soccer game so they gently persuade or suggest an induction before the event (often without mentioning this to the paitent).
Inductions in first time mothers do double the c-section rate for them. It is less freaky for the mother on her second or later child, true, but it is not without risk.

I'm not saying that every mother that gets an induction is not presented with the risks, just that likely a majority are not fully educated about it, abeit intentionally somtimes!. When so many care providers are making choices that are not evidenced based but on "this is what we do here' I do get suspicious about the sheer number of inductions and how it impacts the psyche of childbearing woman.
#14 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM

I have a couple of family members and several friends who are under the impression that induction = safety.

To them, they know when they're having the baby and where and they know everyone is 'prepared'. Also around here it's seen as a positive thing because the OBs are all aboard the "Nothing good happens after the due date" boat. They get big warnings about the placenta dying off and there's lots of stigma with "big babies". Oddly enough many cringe at the thought of a 9lb baby.

I am less bothered by a woman's choice to induce if it's been well researched and she knows all the ins and outs and risks.

I am very bothered when she chooses induction simply because her healthcare provider says it's best. I know a few people who do not question anything their OB says to them. They also do not read up on any of it themselves. They simply take their doctor's word as truth, no matter what.
THAT'S when I get upset.

Wife to a bearded dude.
Mama to DS [05/21/08] & DD [09/16/10] 43 weeks 1 day!
#15 of 62 Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 PM

You know, I went today to pay for ds1's birthday party venue, and when I went into the office the office manager and a friend were talking about the OM's DIL. DIL was due today and her OB said if she wasn't dilated by Monday they'd do a c-section on Wednesday. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. I was shocked!

OM went on to talk about how she just couldn't believe it, in her day babies came when they came (and this wasn't some elderly lady, she couldn't have been older than 50 or so). I told her stuff like that is the exact reason my ds2 was born at home after my first was a c-section and to tell her DIL if she didn't want a c-section on Wednesday to tell her doctor that. There is nothing he can do (you know, except the standard dead baby card, but I didn't say that).

I just don't get the whole "let me" attitude. When that phrase comes out of a doctor's mouth directed at me, it just ruffles my feathers in a big way. You work for ME, buddy. Let me my @ss.

/off my soapbox

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#16 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Playing the devil's advocate here, but in defense of doctors...

My last OBGYN told me that "a lot" of his patients began to ask him when they could have an elective induction starting at 37 weeks. He then went on to say "it usually isn't a good idea, but if it's what they want I'll do it and when it fails I just section them."

Harsh, but he was really big on letting women make their own choices and was pretty outspoken when it came to voicing his opinion about those choices. As a result he had a high (aka normal) c-section rate and an abnormally high lawsuit rate as well. He was also the only OBGYN (out of 4) in a small town who performed abortions or provided backup support for home birth midwives.

His preferred course of action for late pregnancy was to begin NSTs at 40.5 weeks and if they were fine not recommend an induction until 42 weeks. It isn't always doctors with tennis matches pushing the inductions.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#17 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 12:57 AM

I think one of the reasons some women think it's ok to electively deliver between 37 and 40 weeks is because 37 weeks is considered "term", so they don't realize or think that there is any further development in those 3 weeks. Doctors definitely should take the time to educate them and resist when appropriate, but like the PP said, the patient is the customer, and some docs will do almost anything to keep their customers happy, regardless of the potential consequences.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#18 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 AM

True confessions and maybe a little insight.

I've been induced 7 times. One spontaneous labor.

#1- I was 42+ weeks. Ended in C-section when baby went into distress at 5cm. Diagnosed with oligohydramnios. DD was obviously very well baked/overdone. I wonder if I had been induced earlier if we would have achieved a vaginal birth. : it should also be noted my mom went to 45 weeks with her first and he died of complications of severe postmaturity. there was a definite fear during my labor.

#2-induced at 39 weeks for oligohydramnios. AFI of 6 which I was told at the time was one step away from emergency C-section. In hindsight I think if I tried superhydrating I would have been fine. successful VBAC but with a ton of complications.

#3-induced 9 days past EDD. suspected growth issues secondary to beta blockers. easy induction with nothing but cervidil. "tiny" baby was 7-14. :roll:

#4-spontaneous labor!!!!!!!!! easy-peasy could do it every day

#5-my mom was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer on Dec 20. my edd was jan 12. we knew it was bad but wouldn't know how bad for a couple weeks. we were expecting stage IV. I am my mothers only surviving child. my older brother died, my little sister died. the first phone call I made after I got off the phone with my mother was my midwife. I NEED THIS BABY OUT, as soon as it is 'safe'. we picked Jan 4. it was a thursday. my mom was due to start chemo on the following monday when we would also get the results of the PET scan, CT scan and bone scan. on jan 4 we aggressively stripped my membranes and I walked the mall. I met midwife at the hospital in the late afternoon and we stripped the membranes again, eventually broke the BOW and I my dd was born at 10:58PM. my mom was able to come and see the baby and visit before her very long almost year of treatment began.
i got a lot of grief from my more natural-minded friends for this choice. but I needed her out. i just couldn't handle being pregnant and worrying about/caring for my mom. i needed her to be able to see emma before she went into treatment. it was a calculated risk and thankfully it turned out well. ironically, while my smallest and earliest (by that point) baby she was the most vigorous at birth with the best apgars.
Emma and my mom when em was about 3 days old. I *love* this picture. the juxtaposition of the expression in my mom's eyes and emma's awesome smile is amazing.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/kmomto6/smile.jpg

#6- a prodromaling labor 5 days past EDD that we pushed into active labor with AROM. yes, I was just plain 'done'

#7-nasty pre-e at 38 w, she did great except some jaundice and it was a PIB dealing with an a** of an oncall pediatrician and Nurse Ratched in the nursery. awful induction with mag on board too. i give my OB a lot of credit. Aren't many docs willing to induce a pre-eclamptic VBAC.

#8-escalating PIH at 36w6d. baby born at exactly 37 weeks and spent a week in the NICU

#9- I am hoping to hit my EDD or get really close. I'd way rather be pregnant and miserable than sitting in the NICU and miserable. BTDT, have the T-shirt, never want it again if I can avoid it.

P.S. My mom is a 9 year survivor of Stage IIIB breast cancer.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#19 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emnic77 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time, in my last month of pregnancy, I've had someone say to me "Why don't you just go get induced?" I'd be a rich mama. By women that act like I am insane for "wanting" to bother with going past 38 weeks. It's kind of nuts.
This is the behavior that leads me to believe a lot of these inductions happen without reason. I've been asked a ton of times already when I'm going to be induced, and when I say there's no reason, they tell me I don't need one once I'm past 40 (or 41 or 38, depending on who I'm talking to) weeks.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#20 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 01:27 PM

4 kids under 10
#21 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumcrunch View Post
Emma and my mom when em was about 3 days old. I *love* this picture. the juxtaposition of the expression in my mom's eyes and emma's awesome smile is amazing.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/kmomto6/smile.jpg
OT, but this picture of your daughter and your mother brought tears to my eyes - it's so lovely!

As for the OP, I try not to worry about what other people are doing. They have the right to make their choice, however dangerous it may be.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#22 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM

I just talked to a friend last week (she's about 12 weeks pregnant) who has already scheduled her c-section for 38 weeks. I did the smile and nod thing but inside I was seriously wondering "but WHY?!?" I can't wrap my head around it sometimes.
#23 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Because we are living in the twilight zone where the professionals can't be relied upon to give good advice or complete advice or even true advice. And that is so wrong and counter-intuitive that it is simply very difficult for many people to believe.
#24 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post
As for the OP, I try not to worry about what other people are doing. They have the right to make their choice, however dangerous it may be.
#25 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post
M'hmm. (BTW I have a Birdie B! )

Though induction isn't ideal it is hardly Russian roulette. So why get so worked up over it? Live and let live.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#26 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
M'hmm. (BTW I have a Birdie B! )

Though induction isn't ideal it is hardly Russian roulette. So why get so worked up over it? Live and let live.
B/c this is MDC and not a mainstream board. If this is not a safe place to discuss less-than-ideal birthing choices, then where is?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#27 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
B/c this is MDC and not a mainstream board. If this is not a safe place to discuss less-than-ideal birthing choices, then where is?
But we can discuss them without talking about other people's choices. We can discusses our own choices or the procedures themselves e don't need to talk about what other people are doing in order to talk about birth, right?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#28 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
But we can discuss them without talking about other people's choices. We can discusses our own choices or the procedures themselves e don't need to talk about what other people are doing in order to talk about birth, right?

What do you mean?

People can discuss the growing trend of people "demanding" inductions at 37 weeks. It is irresponsible to have an induction at 37 weeks for no other reason than one is "tired of being pregnant" It also affects the rest of us.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#29 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
What do you mean?

People can discuss the growing trend of people "demanding" inductions at 37 weeks. It is irresponsible to have an induction at 37 weeks for no other reason than one is "tired of being pregnant" It also affects the rest of us.
No I mean we can discuss it without being "my co-worker/SIL/friend/etc is having an induction and ____" as in why do we need to bring people into it? We can talk about it generally, can't we? This is why I quoted Birdie B-

Quote:

#30 of 62 Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
No I mean we can discuss it without being "my co-worker/SIL/friend/etc is having an induction and ____" as in why do we need to bring people into it? We can talk about it generally, can't we? This is why I quoted Birdie B-
Oh I see.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page