Postpartum anemia - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was very anemic my entire pregnancy; my numbers improved in my third trimester. After giving birth, my numbers went down again.

I am ingesting molasses and on iron pills. I need to get Floradix too but don't have it just yet.

Here's my question: I'm four days postpartum and experiencing shortness of breath. It's similar to how I felt when the baby was right at my ribs. Walking up the stairs is a chore for me.

I am also still having major swelling issues, lose circulation in my arms, and am incredibly hormonal.

I've tried to do some reading about all of this so I won't freak myself out and it seems that it might all be related to anemia.

Anyone else have this experience?

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#2 of 5 Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM

I was incredibly anemic postpartum with my first, so we did all we could to prevent that during and after my other pregnancies. (My husband had to take showers with me so I wouldn't pass out.. poor guy, right... har har!)

I have always struggled with anemia, especially during pregnancy, so I have to make sure I consume as much iron as I can. (I eat a lot of iron fortified cereal!)

Floradix is great, so definitely get your hands on some of that.

Anemia can cause all sorts of issues. It acts like your body has no energy (because, well, it doesn't) and so it is no wonder you get tired walking up the stairs.

I also have asthma issues which are magnified during pregnancy, so I LOATHE our stairs, but still have to carry a heavy toddler up them a couple times a day (for naps and bedtime). Wears me out!

Have you tried upping your B-12 intake for energy and cutting back on salt (for swelling issues)?

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

#3 of 5 Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM

I had this experience after my second pregnancy. I nearly fainted trying to hold my newborn in the sling at 3 days postpartum (in my home- I stay home for ten days after giving birth). I did not have to take supplements, but ate GIANT leafy green salads with sunflower seeds twice a day for several weeks after giving birth and the shortness of breath and lack of energy faded fairly fast (less than a month, I would say). I had normal blood loss after the birth and minimal lochia for six weeks, so I don't know if that helped or not. I tried Floradix and couldn't tolerate the taste.
#4 of 5 Old 04-24-2010, 11:55 PM

If you do end up being anemic, it sometimes takes some time for you to fix it (the iron has to find it's way into all of your red blood cells where it helps to carry oxygen to your tissues, if there is not enough there it makes sense that you'd be short of breath). Please talk to your dr or mw about how you are feeling. In the meantime, leafy salads, lots of seeds (pumpkin) and red meat if you eat it can only help. I didnt' find out I was anemic unti 2-3 months postpartum and I wished I had been on top of it sooner. Good luck.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#5 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Moved from I'm Pregnant to Birth and Beyond.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page