CNM and Lay MW - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-06-2004, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can some one explain to me the difference between a Certified Nurse MW and a Lay MW.

My understanding is a lay MW was trained by another MW and studied under her for quite some time, learning from on the job training.

Is a CNM someone who is a nurse (perhaps an RN) who has then taken further schooling to be a MW. Do they got to a University or a MW school?

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 03-06-2004, 05:00 PM

That's about it. Being a registered nurse is necessary to carry the title of CNM but I believe CNMs can obtain their midwifery training in a variety of ways. Most common, probably, is to enter a midwifery program that is affiliated with a nursing program.

There is another way to become a midwife, though, besides through nursing or solely through apprenticeship, and that is to go to a school of midwifery (which also involves apprenticeship.) Midwives who take take the last two routes can also choose to be licensed or non-licensed.
#3 of 6 Old 03-06-2004, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A CNM can go to a University (Georgetown has a huge CNM program) or a midwifery school. I believe both confer degrees that are, or similar to, a Master's. Either route, they must have a certain number of years of apprenticeship.
#4 of 6 Old 03-06-2004, 06:38 PM

nursing and midwifery are two separate professions. a CNM must study both nursing and midwifery, whereas a midwife (LM, CPM or DEM) primarily studies midwifery.

it's sort of like saying "plumber-carpenter."
#5 of 6 Old 03-06-2004, 07:48 PM

I am going to be entering a CNM program here soon. There are a few different ways to enter. Some schools do the MW and nursing programs together. These programs are rather new. The program I am doing is only midwifery. Most of the CNMs I work with were OB nurses for a long time (and were sick of the hospital bs - just like me!).

There are avantages to being a LM vs CNM as well as advantages to being a CNM vs LM. I think both groups provide great care - much better than most stinky doctors. (Please note I said "most doctors" not all)
#6 of 6 Old 03-06-2004, 09:49 PM

For a very in-depth explanation of the differences in schooling, education, apprenticeship, mentoring and the general philosophies between certified nurse-midwives and direct-entry (previously referred to as lay) midwives, read anthropologist Robbie Davis-Floyd's article here.

warmly,
claudia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page