Extra-abdominal uterine repair after c-section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
About 15 months ago, I remember reading something(s) about potential problems arising from exteriorizing the uterus during a c-section. I have absolutely no memory of what I read, just that it provoked such a reaction in me that I wrote down "definitely don't let them remove my uterus to stitch it up". Does anyone have any research/numbers/articles stating problems or reasons why one would not want their uterus exteriorized? I finally got a hold of my medical report this morning, and with it found out that mine was exteriorized for suturing. I'm in a very confused state because I know I really didn't want that to happen, but I have no clue why! I'm not coming up with anything in my searches, so thought I'd reach out here. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read a couple articles and it seems that the duration of surgery and number of stitches is lower when the uterus is exteriorized but that pain may be a little higher the first couple days.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
Mine was exteriorized and I'm actually glad because I had very good healing and maybe that was a factor. IDK, a c section is so invasive anyway, you know?
I guess I felt like it didn't matter whether they took it out to suture or not but I know I had a good result with very little scar tissue and no adhesions.

I do remember feeling like I was a huge bruise inside too, probably as a result of the exterior repair.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea whether mine was taken out or not. I wasn't aware it was a possibility, and honestly I'd rather not think too closely about it. I have had uneventful recoveries, though, with minimal pain even in the first week, and no long-term issues other than some chronic itching at the incision site.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gosh, I thought that was routine. In every C/S I saw they exteriorized the uterus. Honestly I dunno what the evidence base for or against is though.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page