Do really awful menstrual cramps equal a really awful labor? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I personally don't think you can compare. Its like apples and oranges. I had TERRIBLE pms and it was NOTHING like giving birth! It's a totally different feeling!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM

I'm another with terrible menstrual cramps. They would wake me up in the middle of the night, radiate from my uterus down my thighs and were so bad 600mg or more of ibuprofen wouldn't even touch them. I was worried my uterus would go into overdrive when I gave birth.

I had 24+ hours of prodromal labor a couple of days before my son was born and though irritating, it was completely manageable. I had 17 hours of "real" labor with him, and the only thing I wanted was a heat pack on my back the last few hours. Transition was the only time that compared with my period (only 1 hour) but it was more of a feeling of being out of control than real pain. And my uterus was back to its normal size by the next day--not sure if that had anything to do with the periods "training" it or not, but there you go.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
Old 05-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post
But the afterpains get worse with each child....sorry....
Not for me. My last two babies (4 and 5) were my easiest. I had mild cramping for 24 hours and then pretty much nothing. It was great!

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM

I had the bad cramps that radiate down into my legs. And I agree, labor is a totally different sensation. It started out like bad cramps that I couldn't sleep through and then within the span of a few hours it had transformed into this sensation, almost like your midsection being in a vice grip, that I had to concentrate on breathing through so it didn't suck the air out of me. It's not that they were horrible, at least not until the last few hours out of the 20 I was in labor, but I just had to actively concentrate on staying on top of them. That being said, ds was born sunny side up so it also came with some wicked back labor and part of my cervical lip was stuck for awhile. I keep telling myself that the next one will be a little easier (I hope)! After pains for me were just like mild menstrual cramps.

ETA: I will say that at least during labor, you have the break in contractions whereas menstrual cramps are more constant. Well that was until my contractions were right on top of each other, it's not horrible when you do have that time in between to sort of regroup and rest.

Wife to an awesome stay at home dad and mama to a crazy 2 year old, expecting #2 Jan 3

User Tag List