if your water broke to start labor with your first... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If water spontaneously broke to start labor for your first, did it also spontaneously break to start
yes 30 50.00%
no 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MyBoysBlue - 25 min from start to finish!! #2 was 2.5 hours for me. I really don't want it to be any faster this time.

My water broke with #1 and contractions started an hour or two later.

With #2, I had a leak with the first contraction but it didn't gush until her head was born. However, I think maybe her head was blocking it and that is why. Her head was only about 1.5" inside the last week or two of my pregnancy.

Mama to DD 9.06 / DD 1.09 and DS 6.10 born at home
#32 of 39 Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 PM

dd1- sPROM at 42+ weeks. Water broke, contractions started about 18 hours later.

dd2- SROM at 40 weeks with contractions starting within a half hour or so.

ds1- my odd one out...Midwife broke my water due to being on a 'vbac' clock (no midwife after 42wks, no vbac "allowed" after 42wks). So at 42wks and after weeks of prodromal labor I had AROM. DS was born 4 hours later. I think my body just doesn't know what to do till the water breaks, you know?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#33 of 39 Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I can now answer this - nope.

With DS2, water broke sometime during labor, not even sure when.

Mama to Nov '08 and June '10
#34 of 39 Old 06-18-2010, 05:08 PM

With my first, my water broke as we were eating dinner (at 37 weeks). With my second, My water didn't break until my OB broke it (with my permission) at 10 cms. we are expecting #3, our first home birth, and we'll see what happens.
#35 of 39 Old 06-18-2010, 07:52 PM

My water broke with my first at 3 am in the morning and I started light contractions. I was threatened with a C-section when I got to the hospital (which was uncalled for and made me mad) I did a lot of fast walking and other things to get labor really going and from start to finish it took about 27 hours. With my second my water broke again at 3am (amazing!!), and contractions started lightly again, but came on harder without much walking or anything. From start to finish it was 14 hours. Expecting my 3rd and wondering how this one will turn out. I would be okay either way (what choice do I have) It didn't bother me much for my water to break and I am very thankful I had some of the depends underpants on hand just for that reason, they came in very handy, otherwise I would have had to live on the toilet, or change my clothes a lot.
#36 of 39 Old 06-18-2010, 08:02 PM

With #1 my water broke about a week after EDD. Did not have any contractions for 24 hours+ and was then given oxytocin. I think they tried the gel first though.

With #2 my water broke on my EDD but had no contractions for 12+ hours and was then given oxytocin.

Oddly enough, both times my water broke on the same day of the week and at around the same time of day -- 4 pm for the first, 5 pm for the second. Even the same doctors on call!
#37 of 39 Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

My water broke in the middle of the night with both of my dds. Slow leaks both times. With my first, labor started right away and she was born about 7 hours later. With my second, nothing really happened for hours, and then labor started in earnest and I went from 2 cm to holding a baby in under two hours.
#38 of 39 Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 PM

Both times my water broke first thing in the morning (though interestingly, different times of the morning... but the first time I got up to pee). First labor, I hadn't had any contractions. Second labor I *thought* I hadn't been having contractions, but since contractions started/picked up immediately after water breaking, and I'd had a shittier-than-normal night, I decided in retrospect that I must have been having contractions during the night. :P

First labor I had a medical midwife and was talked into pitocin mere hours after my water broke (and contractions hadn't started... though I don't think they really had much chance since I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off and I wonder if I'd slowed down and just let my body do it's thing if they would have gotten going on their own.)
Second labor I had a different midwife (and doula) who had other strategies to get labor going, and turned out I didn't need them. :P
#39 of 39 Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 PM

With my first, my water broke spontaneously when I got up that morning and contractions started within the hour (though she wasn't born until the next day).

With my second, my water didn't break until the very end of labor, as his head came down into the birth canal. Labor started very much the same in all other ways -- about an hour after I got up that morning. It was even the same day of the week. He didn't wait until the next day to be born, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page