Kinda graphic postpartum question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-09-2004, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is almost 3 weeks old. I dont have any pain, had just one small tear that didnt even need to be stitched. Having normal bleeding that is slowing down.
The problem is it feels like something is in my vagina. Doesnt hurt, just feels irritating like when you dont get a tampon in right.
I felt right inside and didnt feel anything.
Its driving me crazy. i dont know if this is normal, and to just wait for my 6 week appt, or if i should call my dr.

okay, now that i am really embarassed.............
#2 of 12 Old 03-09-2004, 02:41 AM

Boy, I don't know. I just remember that whole area just felt "weird" for awhile. Maybe it's just fullness you're feeling? Sorry I can't help.
I bet that if you call and ask, it's a question they've heard before.
#3 of 12 Old 03-09-2004, 11:17 AM

I've definitely felt what you are talking about. It was normal and passed as soon as I got a little more, ummm, firmness (?) back. Probably about the same time I felt *fine*.

At 5 months postpartum, I'm normal!

Amanda
#4 of 12 Old 03-09-2004, 08:25 PM

It's okay to wash your hands and put your fingers inside your vagina to see if there really is anything. Sometimes just feeling to be sure there isn't something there changes your interpretation of the feeling.
L
#5 of 12 Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 PM

The only thing I would be concerned about is a possibly prolapsed uterus. If you can't feel anything in there, then you are fine but check just to be sure.
#6 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 01:49 AM

Please check to see if there is anything there....I had to have a 3rd degree epi. and my Dr. left a HUGE wad of guaze in me!!! It was over 3 days before I realized that it was there while I passed it and it was covered in huge clots of blood..had it stayed in longer I could have had a major infection on my hands.
#7 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

I checked and theres nothing in there.
Mom2cora- that is awful about the gauze!!! YIKES!

The only thing I felt was like on the front wall it was poofy feeling, and from reading some other posts here, sounds like its just a saggy bladder. It doesnt bother me as much as it did the other nite, so I am going to keep doing my kegels and assume it will improve with time!
#8 of 12 Old 03-11-2004, 05:46 PM

A friend on one of my other boards had gauze left up there too. She thought she had a prolapsed uterus. She talked to her midwife about it and she thought the same thing. After around 2-3 weeks she'd had enough of it and asked her dh to check and he found the gauze.
#9 of 12 Old 03-12-2004, 02:47 PM

Boobiemama, it sounds to me like you are feeling your bladder in your vagina.

The Rx is indeed to kegel, kegel, kegel, and to do so effectively--make sure you're really using your vaginal muscles (vs. butt-clenching) and hold tight, and completely relax your muscles in between squeezes.

Other key factors in your pelvic floor recovory include avoiding activities that will put stress on your pelvic floor by increasing your intra-abdominal pressure. These types of activities include going up stairs, vacuuming, & lifting objects heavier than your newborn baby.

During pregnancy, the LIGAMENTS that hold up the bladder, uterus, and bowel are under tremendous stress--the belly is big, gravity is real, and all parts of a pregnant woman are loose, limber, engorged, and pliable. These qualities allow our pelvises to birth babies, but they also make our ligaments vulnerable to damage.

Once a ligament is stretched or otherwise messed up--whether it's your sprained ankle or your bladder-lifting ligaments, the damage is done. HOWEVER, the happy fact is that a woman's pc muscles, the ones strenghtened by kegeling, can keep stuff up high and in place.

I am currently seeing a physcial therapist for my saggy bladder...I got a referral from my CNM. I have had two uncomplicated labors & births, but my body just happens to be made in a way that my ligaments are quite stressed by a big ol' pregnant belly (and tsk tsk, lifting my toddler while 8 months pregnant certainly strained things, too.)

(And a side note--vaginal births do not cause pelvic floor dysfunction, though operative vaginal deliveries, i.e., forceps, can cause problems.)

Shelia Kitzinger has a wonderful chapter about this stuff in her book, The Year After Childbirth. Saggy pelvic floors are VERY common, 1 in 3 women have an issue of some sort.
#10 of 12 Old 03-15-2004, 06:13 PM

Angie,
I know just what you are talking about... at least I know how it feels, not quite sure what it is. I had this w/ ds1 and again, now w/ ds2...
I don't think it's my bladder, but definately something coming down from being strained and weakened w/ the weight of baby, all the pushing, etc...
I found the only cure is: kegels! I do sets of 20 about 4-5 x a day and it helps soo much!
If you keep doing kegels, and don't strain yourself by prematurely doing any heavy lifting or strenuous activity then it should clear up pretty quick~ a week, maybe 2 or 3... but it will go away.
#11 of 12 Old 03-16-2004, 07:20 AM

When I was 1 week postpartum I had a feeling like that too........I was taking a shower and it really started bothering because I was wondering what in the world it was......and I started kegeling a bit and out came this big disgusting blood clot! I mean it was pretty big......I was freaked out, made dh come look at it! AHAHAHAHA, he was like SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the feeling went away after that.......could it be something like that?

Desiree

#12 of 12 Old 03-17-2004, 10:38 AM

I had this as well. Do kegel! It does help! It could be loose ligaments (bladder etc) but it may also be granulation tissue, which is part of what happened to me. Basically, my body 'over healed' itself and put down a basal layer of skin over the healed scar. So, that's a bottom layer of skin with no top...in a word, RAW. I had it removed (not pleasant) but then it was immediately better.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page