pouchy tummy after c/b - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-09-2004, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had a csection last Thurs. and am already concerned about my pouchy tummy (more like a bit grossed out) there's literally a flabby flap of belly that covers my staples and I look like I did at 5 months preggers. I know it's still really early on and this is pretty normal but will this ever go away? If so how long does it take? Is lightly binding my belly ok? it is really rather annoying me as I can feel my belly jiggle when I walk!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 5 Old 03-09-2004, 10:00 AM

Mine was also that way. Everyone heals differently, of course-my stomach does flatten, but there is always a small fold of skin above the incision. It took about six months of careful exercising to get there. Good luck!

Also-there's a support circle here for cesarean birth mothers, in case you didn't know about it:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...hreadid=122475
#3 of 5 Old 03-09-2004, 01:25 PM

I had that pouchy tummy with a vaginal birth.......I think we all get it to a degree. I looked not pregnant again within about a week and it was totally gone within two weeks, but I breastfed and am told that makes it go down faster.
#4 of 5 Old 03-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Banned

I had a vaginal birth and had pouchy belly forever! Even when I lost the weight, I still had extra skin on my belly. I guess my skin just isn't very elastic.

It's another one of those things no one tells you about before it happens and it is really hard on your self-image. It will get better, but it would be good to try to reconcile yourself to the possibility that your body will never look like it did pre pregnancy. That was very hard for me, but now, 2 yrs out, this is just the way I am and I wouldn't trade my son for the body I used to have.
#5 of 5 Old 03-09-2004, 04:34 PM

Only last thursday is not a reflection of what you'll look like in just a couple of weeks, I promise!!! Most moms who birth either way have to wear maternty or transition clothes after, so don't despair. Binding is ok IMO, since it helped me feel less pain from the incision. It's also traditional in many cultures after vaginal birth. Warmth (like hot packs, near a fire, smudging with incense etc.) on the uterus is important in many cultures, and in chinese medicine to help with overall physical and energetic healing. I wore high waisted maternity underwear I could tuck my belly into as well - and having an elsatic band on my incision hurt, so it avoided that to.

I only had C, but my friends who have had vaginal birth and then C think the pouchy belly is slightly worse. It does get better with exercise. I don't exercise much, so it shrinks a bit but is still pretty bad on me. I think because the incision has to heal, that it is slower to go back than vaginal birth. So don't exercise too early, I think it's better to wait until the incision is well healed. But the other posters are right, it depends on you and your skin more than anything else...

I just laugh about having to tuck my belly into my jeans now. Of course I had a multiple pregancy-sized belly. Lot of multiple moms seem to get tummy tucks. I don't really believe in plastic surgery, so it's not at the top of my list of things to do. I just live with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page