Cesarean birth support circle #8 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 159 Old 03-14-2004, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
before my c/b i would have been very pro-vbac (for myself), but after the experience of an exhausting, lengthy and very painful labor followed by a c/b - a repeat c/b would probably be my choice...

i think it is an extremely personal decision and family demands and family support must be factored in....i have no family, other than hubby and we really struggled after the c/b...
#62 of 159 Old 03-14-2004, 10:29 PM

My ob told me too that it is better to have the cb before you go into labor. Of course, I don't have any info as to why. I'll ask during my next checkup - in about 2 wks.
#63 of 159 Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM

Along the same lines, and maybe this has been discussed before ... when you VBAC in a hospital, do they let you walk around, move, get in the shower, etc., or are you stuck in bed hooked up to monitors for the entire labor? With ds, I was stuck in bed hooked up to monitors b/c my water broke before he engaged, so they were worried about cord prolapse. With back labor to boot, I couldn't deal with being flat on my back through contractions (they wouldn't let me even roll to my sides b/c the monitors kept coming off -- apparently my uterus does not show contractions well on the monitor -- go figure), and I ended up with an epidural b/c I couldn't deal with the pain (and that was w/o Pit). I'm afraid, given past experience, that if I'm going to be required to stay in bed hooked to monitors for the duration of a VBAC labor, what's the point since I can't do anything to help myself? Maybe that's naive and a doula could help but ... I've btdt and it wasn't fun -- I might as well have a c/s and skip that part.

Rambling again ... any thoughts?

Amy
#64 of 159 Old 03-15-2004, 03:24 PM

having never labored in a bed with anything strapped to me, i have so much respect for those that do (for whatever reason)...it just stinking hurts!

when we transported, they made me get in bed so they could do the IV and all that stuff...it was soooo awful...they wanted to wheel me up in a wheelchair, but i refused - I have to be able to move during labor or I just couldn't cope with the pain...at that point, i didn't feel like i was laboring, if that makes sense...

i don't think you are being naive, i think you are being realistic...i would research your options - run scenarios past your ob/midwife and get a feel for what they expect - a doula can only do so much if the hospital isn't cooperative or supportive....
#65 of 159 Old 03-15-2004, 06:21 PM

At *my* hospital, there's telemetry in all rooms, so I don't have to be immobilized. (Unless there's a medical reason to immobilize me or I opt for the epidural, which I'm planning to avoid.) I've asked dozens of people (it seems) whether it's totally for sure that I can have telemetry, that it's in all rooms, that I can walk around, etc., and they all say yes.

I'd find out what's available at your hospital. And if telemetry is available (but say, not in all rooms), I'd make darned sure when I called/arrived to let them know that telemetry was *necessary*.
#66 of 159 Old 03-15-2004, 06:37 PM

Totally forgot there was telemetry ... duh. I wonder if the hospital I'm thinking about has it (its different from the one I delivered ds in -- I will never go back there).

Must investigate that ...
#67 of 159 Old 03-16-2004, 10:18 PM

I am just bumping this up.

Hi everyone!
#68 of 159 Old 03-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Had my son via csect after 18 hours of hard labor.

He was totally stuck and facing the wrong way! They had me rolling and moving all over the place all day to try to move him a little, but to no avail!

I didn't feel like the recovery was all that bad! I was able to get up and walk around fairly quickly and healed very nicely. The biggest downfall was how hard it was to go to the bathroom - sure! Drink tons of water to stay hydrated for bf, but your ab muscles are as weak as they ever could be, so you can't get up off the toilet once you plop down!!

OB says we can try VBAC next time, but wouldn't promise anything until it happens. In addition, I'm honestly not sure I'd want to....
#69 of 159 Old 03-20-2004, 07:19 PM

hi there. glad to see this thread! I just had a c/b 17 days ago.

i went into labor and things were progressing weel until my son seemd to get *stuck* in a wierd position..(not because of lack of pelvic room either) i was in active labor for almost 24 hrs and his head was transverse like with his ear presenting.. i pushed for 4 hours with no progress as he would not move past station 0. i am so lucky as my birth experience was extremely positive even in light of the surgery. though nothing I had ever imagined for myself (I had originally wanted to UC and a waterbirth & still dreaming of it someday) we had been planning a birth center waterbirth which ended in a hospital transfer, augmentation and c/b. we definitly plan to try for a VBAC at home next time around though!

so I'm wondering, can anyone reccomend some good links to resource sites,articles,books,yahoogroups,etc (other than ICAN)?

Kim-how in the world did you manage to let them agree to let you eat and drink after a c/s at your hospital? i was most upset about this *policy* our hospital have as to they have to hear bowel sounds first before they let you eat. as i hadn't eaten in 2 days, i was just starved after my long exhausting labor and then the surgery- they wouldn't even let me have a drink of water for like 24 hours I think if I'm remembeiring correctly! THAT WAS PURE TORTURE!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#70 of 159 Old 03-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Welcome to the newcomers!

VBAC resources:

Believe it or not, there's a pretty good collection of VBAC birth stories at iVillage (http://www.ivillage.com/topics/pregb...166376,00.html and then click on appropriate links).

This http://www.worldserver.com/turk/birthing/rrvbac.html is a site which lists research on VBAC (and gives brief abstracts).

I say it over and over, The VBAC Companion is a great book for preparation for a VBAC.

Kim, I've wondered the same thing about your eating. I've kind of decided that if I wind up with a repeat, I'm taking my Clif bars with me and not waiting more than 24 hrs (36 absolute max) before I start nibbling on one. I went something like 2 1/2 days before they let me eat... it was insane... I couldn't fart because my poor bottom was confused and swollen (because of rhoids exacerbated by useless castor oil) and my intestines were empty (castor oil). They also wouldn't treat my poor rhoids (not even Tucks, for cryin' out loud!). So no food for KK tell the dr. came down on the nurses and told them they were being ridiculous...
#71 of 159 Old 03-20-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:
[i]
Kim-how in the world did you manage to let them agree to let you eat and drink after a c/s at your hospital? i was most upset about this *policy* our hospital have as to they have to hear bowel sounds first before they let you eat. as i hadn't eaten in 2 days, i was just starved after my long exhausting labor and then the surgery- they wouldn't even let me have a drink of water for like 24 hours I think if I'm remembeiring correctly! THAT WAS PURE TORTURE! [/B]
Well, you see, in case you haven't heard the rumors, I
am a total bitch.

Anyway, before I had my csection I talked and talked and talked to my doctor about this policy. We talked about this risks of eating and drinking before bowel sounds, etc. I also took an article from the ACOG that discussed the benefits of allowing patients to ear soft foods after surgery, that it speeded the recovery and that they didn't have any more problems than those who didn't eat. Also, I told her that starving me wasn't an option -- Either the hospital feeds me OR I was arranging for delivery.

That sucks they did that too you. I had ice chips in recovery. Keep in mind, I was in high spirits and in great condition, I didn't have any of the usual drugs given during surgery either. When I got to my room, I started on fluids. I wasn't hungry at first, then I moved to soft foods, and then eventually I had hubby bringing me whatever I wanted. The hospital even got me shakes to drinks.
I say the next time, discuss your options with a back up doctor to a midwife or if you have something planned -- well make arrangements before hand.

I am glad that overall you had a good experience and I hope you didn't see your surgical birth as a failure because it surely was not.

Thanks for joining us!
#72 of 159 Old 03-20-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KKmama
Kim, I've wondered the same thing about your eating. I've kind of decided that if I wind up with a repeat, I'm taking my Clif bars with me and not waiting more than 24 hrs (36 absolute max) before I start nibbling on one. I went something like 2 1/2 days before they let me eat... it was insane... I couldn't fart because my poor bottom was confused and swollen (because of rhoids exacerbated by useless castor oil) and my intestines were empty (castor oil). They also wouldn't treat my poor rhoids (not even Tucks, for cryin' out loud!). So no food for KK tell the dr. came down on the nurses and told them they were being ridiculous...
I was gone before 48 hours. I was eating like a horse. I was passing gas within hours after the surgery. Rocking helps that. If you can request a rocking chair in your room (also good for labor) get one, it helps move things, or rock in the bed if you have CB and hold the pillows close so you dont feel like you are losing your guts.
I would tell them you are going to eat soft foods, and if you get sick you are taking that chance. Smuggle food in if you have too.
Hace a Cracker Barrel near by?

#73 of 159 Old 03-20-2004, 08:37 PM

Rocking chair, heck, I was walking laps upon laps around the post partum ward trying to get one lousy fart out. (One of my kindest nurses told me later, "I was assigned to a different patient that shift, but I saw you, and I thought to myself, there's some poor C section mom who's trying to pass gas so she can eat!")

I'm definitely bringing food (and eating it when I get hungry this time), as well as simethicone, Tucks, whatever. I'm more afraid of gas pain/rhoids not being treated (and me going hungry, too) than I am about the possibility of a repeat C.

And that's "no food for KK *till* the dr. came" in my last post... I can spell, but typing is more challenging...
#74 of 159 Old 03-20-2004, 10:06 PM

thanks for the links, I will start checking these out!

kim, yes i definitly see this birth as a success, i'm actually grateful for the experience now. just in a different light if you KWIM? if you had told me a month ago these words would be coming out of my mouth I would have laughed!

as for the eating, i wasn't even allowed ice chips! I truly feel them making me wait to eat after my csection messed me up enough to land me back in the hospital last week for 5 days w/ pancreatitits this past week. i never had the gas pains or anything like that and my BM were regular within 2 days. ( I started eating after 24 hours) but the nausea started about then and lasted until this last hospital visit. they suspect possible gallstones?(and i thought it was from my milk coming in!)

#75 of 159 Old 03-20-2004, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowmoon
thanks for the links, I will start checking these out!

kim, yes i definitly see this birth as a success, i'm actually grateful for the experience now. just in a different light if you KWIM? if you had told me a month ago these words would be coming out of my mouth I would have laughed!

as for the eating, i wasn't even allowed ice chips! I truly feel them making me wait to eat after my csection messed me up enough to land me back in the hospital last week for 5 days w/ pancreatitits this past week. i never had the gas pains or anything like that and my BM were regular within 2 days. ( I started eating after 24 hours) but the nausea started about then and lasted until this last hospital visit. they suspect possible gallstones?(and i thought it was from my milk coming in!)
Rainbow its amazing what our children teach us, just their very entrance into the world!
#76 of 159 Old 03-21-2004, 01:21 AM

Drinking warm apple juice will help you fart!!! If you buy the little kids ones you can heat them up in the sink with hot water and they'll never know (if they have a problem with it)

A friend of mine was in the hospital for 3 days LONGER than her newborn because she couldn't fart!! Her LC said...um, drink warm apple juice. Needless to say she went home 2 hours later

With Tracy they watched me with the farting and bowel mvmnts. This time, I was eating a real meal about 3 hours post c/b. They just otld me to be careful because I may regret it I did get a suppository to help me have a bowel mvmnt before I left though. I'm still not really that regular.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#77 of 159 Old 03-21-2004, 11:25 AM

hi, mamas! i'm so glad to have a found a c-section thread. i haven't read all the posts, but wanted to share my biths. we are expecting blessing #4 in OCT. it will be my 4th section. i am so looking foward to it.

Ds#1 was born c-section at 33 wks, 4 lbs 8 oz due to me having severe pre-eclampsia and he being double footling breech and after a failed external version. it was a good experience, i know it had to be done so why be upset about it.

Ds #2 i was attempting a VBAC, was induced 3 days early due to my size. i had a great labor, fairly quick as first labors go. but at 10 cm i had zippo urge to push, i would push, but on;y cuz they said i was complete. it didn't feel good at all to push, felt like he was going to come shooting out my scar. so on to section #2 we went. again, a very positive experience. he was NOT coming outta this bod, being the petite 10 lbs 7 oz that he was!

Ds #3 was a scheduled c-section, 10 lbs 3 oz. an awesome experience. i told them i wanted to watch so they lugged a mirror down there for me...what an awesome thing!

Dc #4 will be a scheduled section as well. so looking forward to it.

i hear of so many people who are so torn up about a section, and i spose i could be, but i am not. that was how i was chosen to give birth to my babies and i looked forward to each birth as if i were having a vaginal birth. if there were no medical way to give birth other than vaginally, i or my babies could have died during any of the births, why would i want to risk it. so to those who are torn about them, please just embrace this birth experience and enjoy it to the fullest extent. after all, what is more important, a healthy mom and baby or knowing you gave birth through your vagina (the exact thoughts i had for myself when thinking of the births of my babies and future babies). i hope this hasn't offended anyone, but it's how i feel and felt i needed to express what has gone through my head so many times reading different birth stories. please accept my appologies if this was offensive to you.

this will be our last baby and i will be getting a tubal during the section.
#78 of 159 Old 03-21-2004, 08:54 PM

Just wanted to pipe in quick while I nak- EAT! I had my last birth at 8 am, and I managed to get a lunch tray of real food. The only reason I got it before passing gas was b/c the morphine was doing zippo for me, and I was insisting on darvocet- which you cannot take on an empty stomach- so I HAD to eat first

With my 2 previous births I had to wait until I passed gas, and frankly I was constipated the same amount each time. Part of what I realized was that darvocet has constipation as a side-affect:

So- EAT ladies! And IMO warm prune juice although uke is the best for the constipation

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#79 of 159 Old 03-21-2004, 09:07 PM

I'm really loving the eating/gas/constipation comments (seriously). I wonder if I should take a stool softener with me to the hospital and/or insist on getting one there? I think I'll have problems no matter now the baby comes out... The Clif bars helped a ton last time, but I'll try the juice, too.

Sigh... it's so nice to talk to women who *understand* this. I have felt like such a nut, because I'm not at all afraid of labor or repeat C... I'm afraid my bottom won't cooperate afterward!
#80 of 159 Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 PM

the constipation was the worse thing ever...i mean IF YOU KNOW I AM GOING TO BE CONSTIPATED...why not give me prune juice? My section was an emergency and I had no clue what to expect...the gas pain was insane and the nurses FINALLY told me what was going on like I was a total dipshit (sorry) but how would I KNOW what to expect with c-section? the gas was so bad I felt like I was dying..I was convinced there was something wrong with me and I was dying from an infection or who knows what...

It was my first c/b and my first major surgery...By the time I knew what was going on (day two) I asked for warm prune juice...Worked wonders...and I avoided some the really nasty food they were giving me...My first meal was spicy spaghetti with bread? Argh! Where's the fiber?

So I guess if you know what to expect, intestinely speaking, you are way ahead of the game...
#81 of 159 Old 03-21-2004, 09:09 PM

oh yes! and narcotics are a constipating thing in and of themselves...sheesh!

they gave me the stool softener - didn't do anything for me...prunes, baby...prunes!
#82 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 12:39 AM

my favorite combo for pain control is motrin 800 mg (which they give around the clock anyway) and 1-2 Darvocet...that is an awesome combo and not a very strong one at that, but it works great. also my hospital gives MOM routinely to all post-partum moms...now THAT is some nasty stuff, but it seems to work.
#83 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 01:46 AM

With my first c/b I was given stool softener almost right away. this time I was only given one at night. The day i was going to leave (day 2 post c/b) I hadn't had a bowel mvmnt yet so I got a suppository. I wanted to go home and that def did the trick. I tried prune juice but it didn't do anything.

My first meal post c/b was about 3 hours later (Bryce was in special care and i was still numb waist down so I was all alone). It was a chicken sandwich and fries, jello and yogurt. It was a pretty good lunch. They also had a wonderful fridge full of all kinds of goodies!! I like making that trip to the fridge every couple hours. We were encouraged to eat well but to still be careful. Or at least I was. My friend Debbie had her c/b there 2 weeks previous with the same ob and wasn't allowed solids for a day until she "proved" herself. Maybe the difference was it was my second c/b and her first :

#84 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 02:05 AM

I guess the only thing moderately "progressive" about my hospital is that I was allowed to eat about 12 hours after c/b. I had ice chips in recovery (although dh had a bottle of water and was giving me some of that -- my logic was that the ice melts into water, so why not just drink it). I told him I would stop if I felt sick (never did -- I was so thirsty, after a long labor and surgery). Somewhere around 5am (c/b was at 8pm), I was actually given a pitcher of water which I downed in about 5 minutes.

When my roommate got breakfast the next morning and I didn't (I hadn't eaten in 36 hours), I made a huge stink and I got a tray. Get this -- corn flakes (those tiny boxes), skim milk, coffee, apple juice, and a diet blueberry muffin. Um, how about some protein? I ate the cereal and that was about it. I called dh and he brought me a piece of apple pie (I had made an apple pie the night before I went into labor). Damn it was good! I ate like a pig the rest of the time in the hospital.

My hospital provided stool softeners and anti-gas meds at the bedside. The nurses encouraged you to take them and I did. They worked great. I think I had a bowel movement 3 days post-c/b. I never really had a lot of gas, but maybe that's b/c I took my simethicone.

Am I crazy or am I the only one who only needed motrin (600 mg, or whatever is equivalent to 3 Advil) for pain relief? That's all I took since I hate the way Percocet makes me feel (and that's all I was offered other than motrin).
#85 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 02:08 AM

i was pretty fond of the motrin...i really loved the toradol (sp?) - that was the best...i had to take the percocet to get any sleep...i was almost manic in the hospital, if that makes sense...very edgy, very uncomfortable...very out of my element...it was strange being so dopey, yet having a baby roomed in and being expected to get her if she cried...that was bizarre...

once i got home, i took 1/2 a viodin in the morning, but that was it...i hate the way it makes me feel, too...yuck
#86 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 12:38 PM

wow I guess I will consider myself lucky that I didn't have the gas pains at all! (I was waiting for it, as I knew beforehand from doula training that this happens, but it never did)

I would definitly take a stool softner, they were giving it to me at the hospital and I'm still taking them (with a fiber laxative) as my sysytem has been all messed up since my 2nd hospitaliztion. : fortunatley they don't make you have a BM at our hospital before discharging you. (they just make you fill up the toilet hat w/ pee)

they also gave me the percocet and ibuprofin which both made me feel really sick.

Henry's mama-I hear you about the hospital food! The first *real* thing I got to eat after my c/b was toast and after my bout with pancreatitis it was string beans, a roll and a fruit salad...yuck. I don't kniow if your a veggie (I am ) but they definitly don't susbsitute for any proteins in our hospital...grrr.

#87 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 03:03 PM

What about relative pain?? Did you guys have that? As soon as Bryce was born I got this horrid pain. it is probably the most excruciating thing I have ever felt!! It was like someone was stabbing me in the shoulder and lasted for about 3 hours. No pain meds relieved that pain!!

#88 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 03:23 PM

Do you mean deferred pain? That is what my anesthesiologist called it with my dd's birth, they took her out and suddenly my shoulders were killing me, I had to ask for some major pain med, and I'm not sure what he put in my IV, but, I fell asleep and woke up in recovery. Is that the pain you are talking about?

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#89 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 03:54 PM

YES! deferred pain..not relative pain..where is my brain???

#90 of 159 Old 03-22-2004, 04:28 PM

Y'know, when I've referred to gas pain, it's that pain in the shoulder that I'm talking about. When they open you up, some air gets inside your body, and for whatever reason, it seems to migrate up toward your shoulders. And yes, simethicone helps it to diminish (and so did the vicodin).

Except for an incident or 2 of out of control gas pain or afterbirth pain, I was off the narcotics after the 1st full day, I think. Onto the very large advils...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page