Cesarean birth support circle #8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is for mothers who are either planning a cesarean birth or recovering from a cesarean birth. This is a support only thread-please refrain from debate and judgment.
#2 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Shall we do a roll call to see who is here?

Lee-39
Daughter #1 born via emergency c 3/2000
Daughter #2 born via planned c 9/2003

#3 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 10:46 AM

Deb here-

unplanned CB - 7/02 dd
unplanned quasi-emergency CB 2/04 ds (came a couple of days before my scheduled CB due to an extreme illness!!)

I'm slowly transitioning to the Feb/March Babies Life with a Newborn thread, but continue to be interested in this support thread because I will never have a baby vaginally. Hopefully we'll be able to have a couple of more, but that's in mother nature's hands!

I am disappointed in the Mothering anti-CB bias - because it really seems to exclude those of us who have real medical need. I'm not a fan of scheduling c-sections just to have a scheduled birth, I would have prefered to deliver naturally, but there are situations when CBs are a real necessity - and a miracle (I consider both of mine miracles and wonderful birth experiences)!

I do think that many women don't have (or don't realize they have) access to the education/support that might make a CB less likely - and I think it is important to educate women about how they can do things to avoid c-sections. I do feel that the birth process has largely been hijacked by the medical community, and I'm glad that Mothering exists to educate and inform about more 'natural' options - and I believe it is helping us get back to our roots (so to speak - bfing, leaving boys intact, etc.) but I'm not a fan of using scare tactics and fear mongering to try and get women to avoid c-sections.

I wanted to try a VBAC this time, but couldn't because of my illness - my doctor told me that when she opened me up, I was 'a mess' inside and had I waited longer or attemped a VBAC, it is likely that I would have had a serious emergency. I laud the women who do VBACs and am saddened that that won't be in my future, but I do feel blessed to have two beautiful children and have survived my birth experiences in (relatively) good health.

Oops - both kids are hungry - boob for one, pancakes for the other. Keep the faith ladies!

Deb
#4 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 10:59 AM

Lurking. Just watching these support threads.

Name: Kim 30
1st CB -- Emergency csection after failed version, transverse baby, broke ribs and mullerian anomaly
2nd Child - Adopted but born by csection due to pre-eclampsia
3rd Child my second csection -- planned and was wonderful
#5 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 11:10 AM

Patty here

Daughter born via c-birth on 3/27/00 due to shoulder presentation breech as well as mishappen pelvis which won't allow for vaginal birth.
Son born via c-birth on 9/22/01- pelvis again!
Son born via c-birth on 1/23/04- pelvis again! Due to uterus opening prior to surgery, as well as lots of previous scarring- have been advised not to have more children

Finally at peace with all of my births, and simply thankful to be here with my beautiful babies all healthy!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#6 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 11:15 AM

Dawn
Luke- emergency c/b
Irelend- Trial VBAC, but ruptured emergency c/b
Landon Lee- Scheduled c/b July 12 Or sooner if things get rough.

I agree, i hope one day all mothers can come to term with medical neccessary c/b, but in all reality that will never happen.
I wanted a VABC so bad with Irelend, i got to pushing when we "discovered" that i ruptured. Although looking back there were some signs that pointed to that, we went to the hosp that morning because i started bleeding heavily. They attributed that to being in labour. But since then i have found out that it is a sign of a rupture.

I hope that this thread can be a safe heaven for mothers who have to do c/b. So we can learn from each other on how to plan them and cope with them.
I for one am going to plan things to the best of my ability for this c/b. We are trying to narrow down things right now.

Has anyone considered a tubal?
We are thinking about it, because with the more c/b i have the higher risk of rupturing again i have.
We are still talking because we want more kids but we dont want to put me or the baby at risk.
#7 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 02:18 PM

Woohoo a new thread!!! I always like new threads

I'm Megan

Tracy born via c/b after failed induction
Bryce born via planned c/b. It was an absolutely wonderful experience!! i was doing vbac but decided at 39 weeks I wasn't really into it and would rather have the c/b without the trial of labor first.

i considered a tubal but decided against it because I've heard horror stories of periods being horrific post tubal and about how most who have a tubal end up with a hysterctomy before their time (which I'd rather keep all my parts )

Dh is planning a vasectomy after we have the money but it's 1000!!! like we have that sitting around!

A friend of mine had her c/b a week before mine and her utuerus is still soft 7 weeks later. I guess they started her on some sort of meds and if they don't work they are talking hysterctomy. She also has a uterine infection. She is 33 but isn't planning on more kids and had her tubes tied when she was opened up. She is a little sad but she figures if she isn't having kids why should she have a period. And she has more thigns to deal with. Her baby born 1/19/04 was born deaf.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#8 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 06:49 PM

I've lurked on the c/b support threads until now... was waiting for the board. :/ As someone with medical concerns that put constraints on VBAC options, I was rather looking forward to it.

DD#1 was born via c/b 12/2001 after 24 hours of labour. She was 2 weeks past EDD and over 9.5 lbs. She never dropped. The Dr. was nervous about my being off anticoagulants much longer and my water had broken more than 24 hours before. Of course I ended up with a DVT anyway, but that was most likely because the damned Dr. took me off Lovenox at 2 weeks rather than the more usual 6 weeks post partum.

DD#2 is due early July. Haven't decided whether to try for a VBAC, but am currently leaning toward scheduling a c/b for 41 weeks and trying for a VBAC if labour starts sooner (Dr. willing). Also considering moving from Lovenox to heparin at 38 or 39 weeks due to the shorter half life of the latter. I have to be off anticoagulants for a certain period of time to have an epidural; depending on the anesthesiologist it's 12-24 hours for Lovenox. I'd rather avoid general anesthesia in case of c/b.

Typically those with my underlying condition (heterozygous FVL) are induced at 38 weeks, after being off anticoagulants for 48 hours. I didn't opt for this with #1 and I definitely don't want to be induced for a VBAC.

I briefly considered a tubal, but between the side effects relative to vasectomy and having to switch Dr. and hospital (Catholic hospital, unfortunately) we opted for DH to get snipped. He'll get it done 3 or 4 months after DD#2's birth.
#9 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 10:58 PM

Kristine, just turned 34, woo hoo!
ds born via emergency C 6/01 (too long to explain, but necessary)
#2? due 5/7, planning a VBAC, but covering my bases, too

Which reminds me... who was it that said they'd send me a C birth plan? I have totally spaced out.... I'd take it pm, or I'll send an e-mail, if my memory is jogged. Thanks!!
#10 of 159 Old 03-09-2004, 11:13 PM

Cesarean birth plan

As this is a planned Cesarean birth we are looking forward to a positive birth experience. We want to participate in this birth to the fullest. We have listed our preferences below, these decisions have been made after research, consultation, and thought. Therefore your help in attaining these goals is very much appreciated.

We would appreciate preoperative blood work and tests to be done on an out patient basis, and hospital admission on the day of the birth.

My sister, *******, is to stay with me the entire time, even for procedures and administration of anesthesia.

I would like an epidural for pain relief with Duramorph. < this I changed to the PCAPump, which left the epidural cath in my back where pain medication was directly put into the spinal column, it was like having a walking epidural and I could dose myself before moving around or nursing)

I would like the catheter put in after anesthesia is administered.

We do not wish to have medical students present during our cesarean. < I did have a student nurse and would gladly take another one, they pampered me!)

My arms are not to be strapped down unless general anesthesia becomes necessary during an emergency.

We would like the option of viewing the birth either by lowering the screen or positioning a mirror.

Kim would like a verbal description of the birth as is occurs. Kim welcomes conversation during the process. (while some people want quiet, I didnt. That scared me last time. I want some conversation)

We would like to take photos as we did of our first child. (we did not do video, but you can add this. my pictures are graphic)

Kim would like to see the baby immediately after birth if at all possible. She would also like to be given the baby or have it held near her in the OR. (my frist csection I did not get to see my baby)

No mind altering drugs are to be administered without Kim’s expressed permission. I am aware that some hospitals routinely sedate the mom for the repair portion of the surgery. It is important to Kim not to feel drugged or be unable to remember the events of the birth. We wish that no pre-op or post-op drugs be administered that cause drowsiness or sedation.

We would like our baby to be with us in recovery. Kim wishes to breastfeed immediately. Please do not give our baby bottles of formula or water and no pacifiers. ( I had Jack with me 15min after he was born, I actually was sitting in bed on the phone)

Kim does not want to be deprived of liquids or food after her cesarean.

Please remove Kim’s IV and catheter as soon as it is no longer medically necessary. She wishes to get up and move after the birth of our baby as soon as possible.
Kim would like to be promptly discharged as soon as she is well enough.
#11 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 01:46 AM

Amy Here!

Henry 11/10/03: unplanned c/b after 23 hours of labor with 2+ hours of pushing -- premature rupture of water with cord prolapse risk b/c ds didn't drop until pushing started, plus posterior presentation.

As for my recovery ... ds will be 4 mos. old tomorrow (3/10) ... so hard to believe -- time has flown by! I'm feeling generally good although my incision gets itchy at times and is still generally numb. Sometimes I feel stretching sensations, and if I bang the area (like with the laundry basket), it hurts a little.

I'm wondering something ... did any of you ladies find that af got more painful post c/b (or post any pg)? I've always had cramps (even when on the pill), but they're worse now. This combined with the fact that I am completely annoyed at the universe that, despite doing everything I'm supposed to do bfing wise, I got my period 3 mos. pp.
#12 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 02:05 AM

My periods actually got better. I also got my period fairly soon while exclusively breastfeeding. That is a bummer.

I still have numbness at my incision site. I promise the itching goes away. Try vitamin E for that.
#13 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 06:37 AM

hello..tracy here...

amy, i had my c/b just 3 days after yours...

darling ruby arrived 11/13 via emer c/b after 25 hours of labor at home with two wonderful midwives...

i am so ashamed at how little thought i gave to women who had c/b prior to mine...my first child was born after a five hour labor at a birth center - no drugs, no episiotomy, just a general plop and i picked her up and went home 2 hours later...

this time around i opted for a home birth...i did everything i possible could have done to prevent a c/b, but ended up with one anyhow (ruby simply wasn't decending properly, and the midwives and myself had tried everything - we transported to see if an epidural would give us some time, but i stuck at 6 cent. with a cervix swollen like a bagel...then reacted to the epidural and baby reacted to the epi for my b/p and then i had the c/b)

i'm feeling okay, but it seems very surreal to me...and i'm still itchy and sore and my tummy just isn't snapping back - it still seems swollen, if that makes sense...

my best friend had a c/b two years ago and i remember thinking "silly girl, that's what she gets for not doing FILL IN THE BLANK"...now i just wish i had offered to help her out a bit more...

all in all, my experience was very positive - the hospital was supportive of two lay midwives and a wailing woman in labor that they knew nothing about...the doctor was a young wonderful earthy female, very supportive of my choices...the nurses had lots of questions for the midwives - good questions, not bad ones! rooming in was nice, breastfeeding was well supported...i was still empowered...that was nice
#14 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Some new faces here-welcome!
#15 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 11:43 AM

After Tracy was born not only were my periods more painful they lasted 5 days longer!! My af before pg was about 2.5 maybe 3 days and light with barely a cramp. Post Tracy they were 8 days long, heavy, and crampy.

After my first m/c the period got a little better but when I ovulate is pure hell! I have dizzy spells, nausea, camping, vomiting....name it and I experience it! I'm hoping that when af returns this time it will be gentle.

Like some of you, despite doing everything "right" my ppaf with ds was at 6 weeks pp and like clockwork every 5 weeks. I'm pretty sure I ovulated this week. I'm expecting af anytime now :

#16 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 12:17 PM

I have always had very regular periods, and before having kids they were extremely painful, heavy and long. Now, still regular when they come back (which is directly tied to nightweaning for me) and there is little to no pain, and the bleeding is lighter. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones- my mom was the same way.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#17 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 12:29 PM

Hi ladies... I'm getting nervous for my upcomming c-section, but so excited to meet my baby!

I'm Sarah (24)
DS, Lucas 3yrs. was born my emergency c-section under general due to pre-eclamsia/hellp
baby #2 will be born by planned repeat c-section on 4/2/04

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#18 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 12:40 PM

Sarah

Talk through any anxiety you have with us, I know it helped me a whole lot going into my last birth .

#19 of 159 Old 03-10-2004, 11:55 PM

Checking in!

Analisa, 30 and Eric, 33
Meg, 2, vaginal
Patrick and Catherine, 2-1/2 months, planned cesarean due to breech footling presentation, then premature water breaking necessitating urgent cesarean

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#20 of 159 Old 03-11-2004, 02:14 AM

I'm checkin' in too

Kim, 36 Mom to Lance 2yrs. Labored 22+hrs, C/B due to posterior presentation/uterine fatigue!! (okay, big baby too)

Very Pregnant and due the 25th!! I'm watching the threads for all your great words of wisdom and support. I'm "planning" a VBAC but we all know how that goes. I feel I'm not committed 100% either way as to protect myself. With your help I've recovered from my feelings of failure....... My great OB and one other friend feels I need to be more mentally committed to the VBAC or it won't be a success, I think I'm at the point where I just want a healthy happy baby and what I've learned is not to judge other women (or their doctors) for those "scheduled" c/b.

It would be great for this little one to pick his/her birthday, regardless of method of entry.....

I'm babbling......still processing....thankful for this site.

Kim, ap, bf mama!
#21 of 159 Old 03-11-2004, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quiltinglance
My great OB and one other friend feels I need to be more mentally committed to the VBAC or it won't be a success, I think I'm at the point where I just want a healthy happy baby and what I've learned is not to judge other women (or their doctors) for those "scheduled" c/b.
This is the main reason I abandoned my vbac at 39 weeks and planned Bryce's c/b And I don't regret it at all!!!

#22 of 159 Old 03-11-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quiltinglance
My great OB and one other friend feels I need to be more mentally committed to the VBAC or it won't be a success, I think I'm at the point where I just want a healthy happy baby and what I've learned is not to judge other women (or their doctors) for those "scheduled" c/b.
I totally agree with the part about not judging others -- however, I very much disagree that your VBAC won't be a success if you're not "mentally committed" to it. Before my VBAC, I read all the books and articles and so many of them say that if you're not in the proper frame of mind, you can't have a successful VBAC. I know where they're coming from, but I think this can actually have the effect of sabotaging a VBAC attempt in a mother who is feeling unsure of herself or nervous -- which is normal, of course you're unsure and nervous! Those feelings are totally natural when you're trying to plan a birth and your previous one wound up in Cesarean for some reason.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and give VBAC a try even though I didn't feel fully committed to it, and had lots of feelings of doubt and nervousness. And what do you know, I had a successful VBAC after all. (Even with an epidural... in a hospital... with an obstetrician... and maternal diabetes!) So, it can be done. But I would never fault someone for deciding it's all a bit too much and just going with the repeat scheduled section, either.
#23 of 159 Old 03-11-2004, 12:38 PM

Hey Quiltinglance, have you looked at The VBAC Companion? (I forget the author, but it's a great book, and very gentle.) I found her thoughts on our emotions as we approach a VBAC to be very helpful... The doubts are totally normal. I realized that different people probably need to be in different places with all of it... I feel pretty committed to a VBAC, but I also feel very strongly that I should be prepared for a C, too. I think you know yourself best, and you should do what *you* need to do to prepare for this.

The more I work on preparing for this birth (no matter how it turns out), the more I realize that there are so many layers to my feelings about my cesarean, and they affect how I feel about this birth and how I'm preparing for it...
#24 of 159 Old 03-11-2004, 01:04 PM

Thank you Megan, JanB and KKMama....

First, I think I just realized (due to your posts) that what I am feeling is anxiety about the unknown. Not much different than when I was pregnant with my first and you REALLY DON'T KNOW what to expect. So, now I need to focus on the fact that I did get to 8cm last time, my body does know what to do.

Thank you for your honesty about going into your birth (vbac) "not totally committed", it makes me realize I'm not the only one out there. I just feel like I'm on an emotioinal roller-coaster sometimes. Hormones!!!: I too am going from my ideal environment, birthing center to the hospital/ob/place of intervention!!

I have read the VBAC Companion but think I need to re-read those areas on emotions. Hopefully it will help settle my brain a bit.

Kim, mama to Lance 2yrs, EDD 3/25
#25 of 159 Old 03-11-2004, 08:39 PM

Oh, I totally identify with feelings of anxiety about the unknown WRT labor and vaginal birth. *I* never went into labor with ds (although I did have 6 days of BH contrax ~10 min apart). I really feel like I'll be going where I've never been before.... Honestly, when I go into labor this time, I'm going to be really happy just for *that*...

I've also tried to get my dh to read the "key chapters" of The VBAC Companion so I'd be able to talk to him about my feelings (and to try to get a sense of his). He tries, though I'm not sure how much he really understands (same with pg... he's a wonderful guy, but men just don't experience this stuff the same way).

Kim, how supportive is your dr of a VBAC? There are 2 "supportive" and 2 "unsupportive" (though 1 of these is leaving before my due date) drs. at my practice. I'm learning that I just have to limit what I say to the unsupportive dr. (and fortunately, I will only have 1 more appt with her before "the end").

Yeah, it is an emotional roller-coaster. (*Pregnancy* for me is a roller-coaster at times, too! ) I'm trying to do what I can to get in the right mental "zone" and stay there. Going and visiting the hospital and talking with a L & D nurse has helped a lot (helps me feel like it's going to be a safe place for me, helps me visualize a positive birth setting). Talking to my doula has helped, too.

I don't think there's only one route to "success" in VBAC... we all have had such different experiences in childbirth and in our Cs. We have different kinds of drs. and hospitals, with different rules.

I'll be thinking of you as your edd draws near. Keep us informed!

Oh yeah, other Kim (OnTheFence), thanks for posting your birth plan! We're talking with our doula next week about birth plans, and then I'm probably going to discuss it with the dr. the following week.

And now for something totally off the topic of VBAC and C/B... I've been feeling unusually tired the last couple of days. Ug. I'm thinking of doubling my iron (I was at 34 the last time they checked... still low, but up from 32 the time before). I think the baby is starting to make big demands for iron and calcium...
#26 of 159 Old 03-12-2004, 10:22 AM

I am posting this here. Saw this on the news last night. Comments?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/03/1...er.charged.ap/
#27 of 159 Old 03-12-2004, 10:43 AM

I love everyone on this thread and I don't want to offend anyone as I am very sure that many are on the opposing side of the abortion issue, but I am anti-abortion, and therefore, it is easy for me to say what this woman did is wrong IMO. However in a country where abortion on demand is legal- I see no reason why this woman should be tried for murder, makes no sense to me legally- although morally, I find her actions reprehensible.

ETA-
I am glad to see your still posting with us OTF!

#28 of 159 Old 03-12-2004, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

I respect your beliefs and that was well-put, jess7396.

I'm for a woman having the right to birth in whatever way she chooses-whether that be unassisted at-home, cesarean or medicated at hospital. Although I would never have put myself in this woman's position I think she does have the right to refuse surgery & shouldn't be tried for murder. Tragic outcome.
#29 of 159 Old 03-12-2004, 02:02 PM

Ug, I saw the story, too, and it makes me really sad. From what I was able to glean from whereever it was I read it, I think she *should* have had the C. Cs are no fun, but I'd gladly undergo one myself if I were in the circumstances she was in to try to save the life of my baby (no movement, slowing heartrates). I wondered based on the few details they give about it whether she really properly understood the risks and was unnecessarily afraid of Cs? (Like I said, they're no fun, but I would think a stillborn baby would be *so* much worse.)

Morally, legally, I feel really confused. The baby was term, but it wasn't born yet, so still technically a fetus. I feel pretty uncomfortable with laws which grant fetuses equal rights as human beings, especially when they start infringing on the rights of (pregnant) women. I totally understand wanting to be able to say no to surgery--that's what my whole beef about VBAC disappearing is about. But I think this woman acted irresponsibly... perhaps the end result is that she'll reduce the rights available for the rest of us??
#30 of 159 Old 03-12-2004, 02:23 PM

I have mixed feelings about this and I am pro-choice. Morally I definitely feel she was wrong. Legally -- I am not sure. I think with a full term, otherwise healthy fetus that what she did was neglect and at the very least man slaughter. I would like to know more background on why she refused the surgical birth.Sim ply to avoid a scar? Then that makes me sick and I think she should be strung up. This is a really hard subject for me, beause my middle child has fetal alcohol effects, something that could have been prevented had his birthmother not been boozing up while pregnant.

I wonder how that woman feels now that her baby is dead. I would much rather have a scar, pain, etc than a dead baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page