Postpartum bleeding, when to worry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had twins via c-section 12 days ago. I have been home from the hospital since day 2. I lost a larger amount of blood during the c-section ( 900mL) and require shots for the first 24 hours to help stop bleeding. Since I have been home I have been the primary caretaker for not only my twins but my older three as well (5, 3 1/2, & 2). My husband is unable to take off so we have no other choice in the matter. He takes over when he gets home at 5pm but I have them during the day. I am doing my best to limit my activities, such as not picking up my 2 year old or doing heavy housework, but I am sure I am doing way more than I should be at this stage in the game. My incision is healing fine and I feel pretty good (not as good as a vaginal delivery but still).

My question is I am still having bright red bleeding and I am not sure at what point I should worry about that. It isn't super heavy really probably more of a medium flow, not even as heavy as my menstrual cycle, but it is still shades of red from dark to bright and mixed with lots of mucus like EWCM (there is some oragne mixed in but mostly red still). I tend to bleed for longer periods after birth anyway ranging from 5 -8 weeks in the past but I don't remember when it changed from bright red to more pinkish / orange. Do I figure it is simply from over doing it or something worse? I have a Dr. appointment on Wednesday and really don't want to have to go in before then since I won't have a sitter for kids. Thoughts?

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call your doctor and they can help you determine if you need to come in. I would be wary since you had trouble with bleeding before. Is there anyone who could come over and help you? Good luck!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Still bleeding 12 days pp wouldn't bother me. I bled for nearly six weeks and my providers assured me that it was fine. It's more the amount of blood that is important. More than a menstrual pad an hour soaked through constitutes hemorrhaging and you should see a doctor or go to the ER.

The added activity of taking care of your children and housework will cause you to bleed longer. That is normal. I'd maybe post in your tribe to see if there is another mother that might be willing to help you for a few weeks while you're recovering. Good luck!

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.

User Tag List