If you could only afford one... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't take Bradley classes, but I did take a childbirth class with DH and did not have a doula and I don't regret it. For me, that was perfect as it made sure DH knew what was going on and was a nice refresher of all my research close to the actual birth. And I suspected this would be the case based on past experience and it was, but I didn't want to be touched at all during contractions and basically used focus and relaxation to get through labor, so a doula would not have been much help to me for labor as I did fine on my own with moral/verbal(between contractions only) support from DH & the nurses.

A doula would have been helpful postpartum somewhat, especially to get BFing started off a bit better, but I made the right decision for me anyway.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 39 Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM

being a Bradley teacher-- I'd of course say Bradley

But that shouldn't have to be a choice...

You can get low/no cost doulas and every Bradley Teacher I know is willing to discount their fees if you really cannot afford it.

I offer scholarships to those who need them.
#33 of 39 Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 PM

It totally depends on the person. For me, I'd take classes. I do better in labor with only my husband around. It depends on her husband/partner, who else in her family she thinks may be present (is a friend or mom or something available for labor support), and where she's giving birth. I don't think there's one answer for everyone. Also, I think if she can sell stuff on eBay or work out payment plans it's generally best to do both.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#34 of 39 Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 PM

Doula.... but then, I've never taken Bradley classes, although I have a couple of good friends who are Bradley teachers.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#35 of 39 Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Doula

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#36 of 39 Old 05-29-2010, 12:03 AM

I just had to make this choice recently and chose the doula.

I just didn't have the $ for both. We never took any official CBE class. DH and I borrowed books from friends and the library (Ina May, Penny Simpkin, Bradley & a few others that were more mainstream), and started to read the pregnancy & birth threads here on MDC. We both felt like we had plenty of knowledge by the time I gave birth but we were so grateful for our doula's gentle, centering presence.

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#37 of 39 Old 05-29-2010, 05:03 AM

doula. I had a doula at my vbac. Never did Bradley. Worked for me.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#38 of 39 Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Doula!

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#39 of 39 Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

if i were going into a hospital setting, i would likely choose the doula and study bradley on my own and/or get another course like hypnobirthing and such.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page