where do the placentas go? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 03-13-2004, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have two in our freezer, our oldest turned four this past January.

We havent found the right place to bury them.

My parents planted mine under a Walnut tree.
#32 of 37 Old 03-14-2004, 03:14 PM

I read somewhere a while back, the instruction on makeing a placenta tincture. Basicly you put it in a jar with vodka and sit it in the sun for a few hours and then add some other stuff. I *think*. I is suposed to be great for PPD and a ton of other stuff. They say it should last for a LOOOONG time. Maybe ill try that. My luck, if I buried it the dog would dig it up and eat it! And I coudl never ever eat it!!! I am not one who believes we are in any way related to mammals and can't see any reason to eat it. Maybe there are, I haven't ever looked into it.
#33 of 37 Old 03-15-2004, 06:14 PM

Eli's placenta was small, stiff, gray and obviously infected. I know that it went to the pathology lab for testing; it was probably burned with other biohazardous materials afterwards. From the way my sister described it, I'm glad that I hadn't had my heart set on taking it home because I would have been heartbroken.

Before I had children, I wanted to keep the placenta and bury it under a tree. The thing is, we don't own a house so I'd feel wrong about burying it in our backyard. Coupled with our lack of a freezer, I think we'll just let the hospital dispose of it.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#34 of 37 Old 03-16-2004, 02:35 PM

At our birth center, we ask if the mom/couple want to take it home. If not, we send it with the rest of our biohazard. We used to take it to the hospital for incineration....since the placentas were mixed with all the other biohazard material, I doubt that they were sorted out for anything.

But the hospital no longer accepts outside waste, so we contract with a biohazard disposal comapny. They take *all* of our biowaste. Interestingly enough, they don't burn it. They sterilize it, and then bury it?

So I guess it is getting buried one way or another. But I like the idea of donating it to a search and rescue team. We are considered such freaks in the community anyhow, though. I hate the idea of calling up the local sherrifs office and asking if they want our used placentas! I can just seem him rolling his eyes..."...uh, no thanks lady." Well, I'll have to check it out, anyhow.

Lori
#35 of 37 Old 03-17-2004, 11:55 PM

I knew that creepy things were done with placentas at the hospital, so I informed the nurses that I wanted to keep mine. They labelled it and put it in the fridge for me.

We were so anxious to get out of the hospital that we rushed out a couple of hours after dd was born and didn't think about the placenta again for months!

Who knows who found it or what they thought it was when they did! heehee
#36 of 37 Old 03-18-2004, 05:53 AM
Banned

I was asked if I wanted to do anything with mine cause I asked to look at it - my son's that is.

I didn't.

My daughter's was examined 10 feet from me and I didn't even get a look at it. Apparently there were bits left over.... cause he ripped it out maybe?

My lost one's was cut from him and gods know what was done with it. I think they pathed it but thankfully gave him the dignity to not cut him up to bits.
#37 of 37 Old 03-19-2004, 04:45 PM

When I gave birth recently the nurse *asked* me if I wanted to keep the placenta! I wasn't intending on it but thought that was really nice that they asked. I did take part of the cord home and they put it in a biohazard bag for me.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page