Need hugs...just lost my job - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have to vent for a bit. I'm due in a week and 1/2 and I came in to work today to find out that my office is being shut down and we're all out of a job. I'm just in shock. Dh and I are almost equal in our incomes so loosing one of them is not good. Besides the fact that I carry our insurance. He works for a mom and pop place that doesn't have reasonable rates...$700+ monthly for a family whereas mine was like $200. Apparently I'll still get my short term disability for 6 weeks and we have a few $s in savings, and a small severence package but THEN WHAT! I suppose these are the trials of life and this won't be the last kink to be worked out.

I'm so shocked. Please tell me this will all work out!!!

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#2 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 12:32 PM

#3 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 12:46 PM

in a case like this, are you eligible for unemployment?

yes, it WILL all work out, one way or another! try hard not to let the stress wear you down... you need your positive energy for babygrowing!

there's a door opening for you somewhere...

warmly,

katje
#4 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 01:19 PM

it WILL all work out , Amy.......it always does. But for now, take some time to feel bad about it because that really does STINK!! I'm really sorry.
#5 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 01:26 PM

Big hug--what a shock! Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise?? I believe everything happens for a reason----we just might not understand what the reason is......Sorry you're having to deal with this right now! Focus on what's good in your life. You will make it through---you're strong!!!!

All the best,

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#6 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 01:26 PM

This will all work out! Use the the next week and a half to rest whenever you want and get ready for your sweet baby. This will all work out! ((hugs))
#7 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the support, everyone. I feel a bit better now. It really couldn't have been better timing really. The company was kind enough to work it to where I can still get my short term disability for 6 weeks. Plus because I was planning to take an extra 6 weeks, we have been saving. I will get a 4 week severnce package beyond that so we don't really have to worry until mid July. I just don't want to spend my "maternity leave" thinking that I should be out pounding the pavement looking for work.
I know these things happen for a reason. I have spent the last 9 months not feeling good about having to work full time. Maybe this is the help I needed to change my situation.

I'm more concerned about DH though. I hate for him to feel that "pressure to provide".

Thanks again everyone. I'll have this baby in the next couple of weeks and I'll have a whole new outlook on everything I'm sure!

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#8 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 05:43 PM

It sounds like it will work out atleast!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 11 Old 03-11-2004, 07:06 PM

What a blow! Don't they know that pregnancy hormones magnify every emotion by at least tenfold!!

It sounds like things will work out of you, at least for the immediate short term.

Insurance can be such a nightmare! We're facing big changes in January. My husband will definitely have coverage, but I might not and our 2 kids might not.

Best of luck to you!
#10 of 11 Old 03-12-2004, 10:10 PM

Oh, gosh, Phoebe, I can't believe how similar your experience is to what mine was during my first pregnancy. A month before my due date (with all my sick days, maternity leave, working part time home plans) I was told, "We really need people we can count on right now...and you're going to be gone having a baby for a while." They even told me I was the best at the position I worked, but they had to lay someone off and since I was pregnant, I was the logical choice. UGH! It hurts so badly. So bad. I know. I'm so sorry you're going through it, too!

This is the thing that has helped me looking back -- Knowing that it was actually a good thing. When my baby was born I WANTED to stay home. I didn't expect that I would. With my (only two weeks pay!) severance package and then I went on unemployment, we made ends meet unti lmy son was 9 months old and I started working just part time. With all the upheaval and emotions of 3rd trimester combined with financial concerns, it was a tough time (as I'm sure you know). But, it really did end up being a blessing.

Hoping you find your blessing in the situation soon.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#11 of 11 Old 03-13-2004, 12:09 AM

I think you'll find a blessing in this situation too. I was laid off from my job when I was just a few months pg with my second child. At the time it was scary (for the reasons you mention, but also I wasn't sure I wanted to be a SAHM), but it has turned out to be wonderful (I truly love being a SAHM and feel it's best for us). Things work out, and you've got lots of time to figure out a plan. Also, check out unemployment. I was able to get that for quite a while, which helped a lot.

namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page