GBS Hibicleanse / other Protocols - Need medical research / info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a doctor local to me who is very interested in alternatives to abx for gbs+ status. (She used to actually attend homebirths, but has since stopped unfortunately).

Anyway, does anyone have any links to medical research, articles, etc. that have studies or other info for this doc and her colleagues? I did try to search, but couldn't find any scientific type links.

I believe that hibicleanse is the standard of care in Europe, so maybe the European mamas can chime in?

Thanks!

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 05:08 PM

There are 4 scientific references listed at the bottom of this website:
http://mountainviewmidwives.com/group_b_strep.html

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Every European country has its own policies and protocols. Talking about "Europe" as a whole (and a quick Google shows that this is unfortunately widespread) is really not helpful. Birth is handled very differently in the Netherlands versus Italy, for example.

I can tell you that the UK only does a urine GBS screen and otherwise uses a risk based GBS protocol. They looked at routine swabs and decided it wasn't cost efficient. I gave birth in the UK and never heard of Hibiclens until I started reading on MDC--though I was OB led and wound up with an emergency CS, so perhaps I might have had a different experience if I'd been midwife led.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 06-18-2010, 07:14 PM

http://navelgazingmidwife.squarespace.com/

This midwife just talked extensively about it and should give you all the information you need. Good luck!

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

User Tag List