Hospital birthers: How long did you stay after the birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are anticipating an uncomplicated, natural hospital birth sometime next month.

"Hospital policy" is a 48-hour postpartum stay for both mom and baby, though my doctor "might" sign me out early ("but the pediatrician probably won't sign your baby out, and do you really want to go home without your baby if you don't have to???"). Assuming a straightforward birth with no complications and a healthy baby, 48 hours seems like an eternity to me.

But I've never been there, so who knows how I'll really feel? (And, yeah, if there are problems, I would imagine a longer stay will be necessary and I get that.)

How did it work for you? Did you leave AMA or with medical approval prior to 48 hours, or did you want to stay as long as you could?

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had two hospital births and left the next day with both of them (so a little less than 24 hours I guess) in both cases we got the ped to release the baby but I'm not sure if it's harder now. When my first was born 24 hours was standard and even though it had changed to 48 before my second I guess they weren't so strict yet. I had originally been happy to have extra rest but I can't think of a less restful place and I needed to get home ASAP so I could get a decent meal and relax. My third was born at a birthcenter and I went home 3 hours after the birth (I was ready, would have gone home sooner) and now with my fourth I've considered going to the hospital again but our I can't stand the thought of my baby being in the hospital. After working in the medical field for a long time they are like sitting pits of disease to me.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I had two unexpected hospital births with a couple of my girls and with the first one they would have left me go right away if I wanted to. I chose to stay overnight. With the second one I was in and out in less than 48 and that included time with my daughter being in NICU. They tried to keep me longer because they stated I did not have a strep b culture done, but I had in fact been tested the week before so dh sent them back to find it. When they did we were good to go.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Gee, I liked being in the hospital. Insurance paid for two nights; I arrived around 10 am, delivered less than an hour later, and stayed that night and the next, so just about 48 h.

We got lots of breastfeeding help from the nurses and hosital LC, food came on a tray (not great food, but so what), I didn't have to deal with household chores. When I dripped blood all over the floor, it wasn't MY floor! - and somebody else cleaned it up.

By the end I was definitely ready to be out of there but for the first day or so I really enjoyed the help.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:23 PM

With my first I was terrified of being home alone with the baby and no one to tell me I was in fact doing everything just fine. So they had to push me out the door 44 hours after he was born. With my second I could not wait to get out of there. Had her at 9pm, went home at 9 am the next day. Both the ped and my OB came by early and signed us out because they got the message I wanted to leave asap. I was happy to have such an accommodating experience with my hospital.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had to stay 3 nights with ds1 and 2. its part f the reason i chose to uc with dd
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
and i found being in the hospital boring and stressful. getting pestered by nurses every hour while trying to sleep in a strane place with the world's most uncomfortable bed. oh and the food was awful with tiny portions, i was starving! Then they tried to put another mother in my room and i pitched a fit and they moved her before she even moved in lol. dont think its sanitary to expect 2 pp women to share a bathroom (blood everywhere yuck) and i certainly wasnt going to leave my baby in the room with a stranger
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:47 PM

Our hospital only allows 24 hours stay for non c-section birth. Only long enought to get the PKU test at the 24 hour mark. THey won't throw you out if that ends up being in the middle of the night but they won't hold you for any longer than 24hours. Which is how long we stayed with DS.

Harmony; fly-by-nursing2.gifslingtwin.giffamilybed2.gifcd.giftreehugger.gifblogging.jpg to DH and first time Mom to Xander! 12/24/2008babyf.gif and Oliver 11/3/10 babyf.gif
Old 06-20-2010, 07:52 PM

With my first I wanted to get out of there ASAP, but my doctor was also the baby's doctor, and she knew we had transferred in from a planned homebirth. She released us as soon as I asked to go.

With my third I was more than happy to stay the whole duration. Laying in bed, snuggling with my baby, having food brought to me, while dh stayed home and wrestled with the 2 and 4 year old, watching kid movies and sweeping up mac and cheese ground into the carpet

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM

DD was born at 3pm and we were out by 5pm the next night. So we stayed about 26 hours after the birth (of course, I'd been there for 28 hours by the time she was born).

We'd actually told them we wanted to leave by early afternoon that day...and the wheels started spinning way earlier to get us out, but hospitals are notoriously slow to get everyone together to get you out of there. In my case I had my midwives, the hospitals drs, and the pediatricians who all needed to do things to get me out. And even after that we had to wait for freakin-ever to get the cart to come get us and take us downstairs.

The midwives wouldn't have even required 24 hours, but with the nature of my condition (cholestasis) she warned me to expect to be there 24 hours just to make sure everything was resolving itself.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 PM

I stayed 24 hours the first time and about 18 hours the next. This time I've been told we'd be able to discharge at 6 hours with no complications but we've opted to stay home anyways

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM

I was out within 24 hours both times. It wasn't a problem. I just asked my doctors (OB and peds) about it beforehand and reminded them right after delivery.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 PM

With my first birth, I only wanted to stay 24 hours, but my son ended up in the NICU - thankfully a short stay, but he didn't come back to me until we ahd already been there about 34 hours or so. We stayed for one night after that.

For DD, I was going to leave after 24 hours, but that would have been at around 11 at night, so we stayed an extra night. We had a bitchy nurse who though we should stay the next night, and didn't bother to tell my OB that I wanted to leave (my OB was not happy - he was under the impression that I wanted to stay another night), and kept putting off having the people come by for the hearing test and pku. I finally had to threatend to leave AMA before she got all the sh!t together, and even then I got a lecture about how I should worry about the baby and not getting home to my 2 year old who had never spent a night without me up until that point.

My third birth was preterm, and I thought I might have to stay longer, but we only spent one night at the hospital. He was born around 6AM and we left in the afternoon the next day - so more than 24, less than 48. Only one night in the hospital.

I've never heard of a hospital that had a mandatory 48 hour policy. I know they aren't allowed, by law, to kick you out sooner than that, and insurance has to pay for at least that (and longer if there's a medical reason). Is it your OB telling you this, or the hospital itself? Do you know who you will be using for a ped? If they have privliges at the hospital, they can come and sign the baby out.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I stayed as long as I could. It was GREAT not having to worry about cleaning (dripping blood everywhere), warm blankets were delivered at the push of a buttom for both baby and me, lactation consultant on hand, drinks whenever I asked, food deliveries, etc. The birth itself was traumatic, I was a UC transfer and they treated me like trash. But the nurses that took care of me post-partum were a different batch of ladies and were very nice (it was a different floor from labor and delivery). Someone mentioned the nurses coming in every hour to take temperature of the baby, etc.....after the 3rd time they did this, I started faking I was asleep lol and they would come by later (and I would fake again) so they would leave us alone. It was sooooo helpful having people there to help around the clock. When I got home, reality hit us really hard as we had to do everything.

Have you toured the hospital and pre-register yet?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 PM

I think it depends on how you're feeling and how the hospital is. I personally liked being there, I have other kids and getting some alone time with the baby was really nice. Plus it's a Catholic hospital so a Eucharistic minister would come and give me Communion every day, which I loved Anyway, my doctor was happy to sign me out after 24 hours, but the UAV ped though dd3 looked jaundiced so wouldn't sign her out (her levels were absolutely normal, the guy was just a freak, for many reasons).
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotharmony View Post
Our hospital only allows 24 hours stay for non c-section birth. Only long enought to get the PKU test at the 24 hour mark. THey won't throw you out if that ends up being in the middle of the night but they won't hold you for any longer than 24hours. Which is how long we stayed with DS.
This is really cheeky, given the laws that require insurance to pay for 48 hours following a birth. I wouldn't be happy about a hospital enforcing a 24 hour stay given the backlash after insurance companies started booting women. (BTW, this is why many hospitals have a policy about 48 hours being standard.)

I was technically discharged 36 hours post section. I say "technically" because I stayed in the hospital in a special unit for moms whose babies were in Special Care/NICU for 2 more days, but I was formally a patient of the community midwifery team. My hospital subsequently got criticized for its use of that unit, and I think from a medical POV it was probably not the best decision. OTOH, my hospital had 6 bed wards with mandatory rooming in, so if I had not required care I would have left ASAP.

The hospitals around here are all private rooms postpartum and I would probably stay at least 24 hours for a vaginal birth and 72 for a C section. I would want at least one full night to recuperate.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DD1 was my only hospital birth, I stayed 20 hours. I would out been out before 12 hours but the pedi forgot to sign DD1 out so I had to wait until after his office hours were over for him to come back and do it. The RNs couldn't believe I wanted out so quickly, maybe because I kept getting woke up every hour all night long. I could not wait to be home again!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM

I would stay for a week, if I could! My hormones tend to crash dramatically and it leaves me with great anxiety. The hospital makes me feel more secure and cared for.

My first baby was born at a birth center where you had to leave within 23 hours. I was not ready.

My next four babies were born with midwives at a hospital and I told them that I would like to stay "as long as I am Federally entitled to stay".

I think it should be up to the mother. We've come full circle, from requiring ridiculous two week stays to sending moms on their way within a matter of hours.

If you feel ready to go sooner than 48 hours, I hope that everyone facilitates that for you easily.

I just wish that I could stay longer.

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 PM

I went home 36 hours after a c-section. I loved the support of the nurses, but it was so much quieter at home even with my toddler there.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Two babies, two different experiences

First baby-induction gone bad to C-section. Had to stay three days. HATED it and wanted to go home. HUGE hospital. Disappointing birth.

Second baby- VBAC. SMALL personal hospital that supported my decisions. I was HAPPY to stay the 48 hours!

So I think a lot depends on the hospital and your caregivers.

I would check with your insurance about leaving AMA if you plan to do that. Many companies are not required to cover your stay if you leave AMA.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 PM

I was admitted at 8 p.m. She was born around 11 p.m. We left at 2 p.m. the next day. We could have left that morning, but the nurses "forgot" to let her ped know that she had been born. Both her ped and my ob saw no reason to make us stay. The main reason I wanted to leave was because of all of the BAD breastfeeding "support" I was getting... and this was with a baby who latched right away and was having no trouble breastfeeding.

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 PM

I was there a little less than 48 hours. I had her Sunday night and left daly Tue afternoon. It was plenty of time, I couldn't wait to go home.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 PM

I stay 48 although have the option of leaving at 24 without a 'fight'.
fact of the matter is, even with the interruptions for vitals and assessments etc...I get more rest in the hospital than I do at home.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 PM

Before I gave birth I got the o.k. from my doctor to be released at 24 hours if it was an uneventful birth. And then the birth happened and it totally changed all my plans! I ended up going to the hopsital very early Monday morning, didn't deliver until late Monday night and at that point my doctor and I both agreed it would be best to not be released until Wednesday. It was that long before I could get out of bed without fainting to be honest but I ended up losing a lot of blood during a difficult delivery among other things. DS also has some respiratory problems so even when he was out of the special care they had him in the first 24 hours it was nice to still have that reassurance of being there. And I didn't really appreciate it until I got home being a first time mom but it was so nice to have some help with the baby so I could get a little sleep and try and recover. I had planned on rooming in and we did the most part but I got to the point I just needed to get a few hours of sleep so they took him into the nursery and brought him to me to breastfeed as needed. Never appreciated how nice that was until after I got home and had a colicky baby!

Wife to an awesome stay at home dad and mama to a crazy 2 year old, expecting #2 Jan 3

Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 PM

I left six hours after the birth of my first dd. It would have been sooner but they had to see proof that she was peeing before we could leave.

I spent the whole three days in the hospital with the next two (including the births). There were funky circumstances (not medical) in each case that just kind of made that stay necessary. I don't love the hospital, but since I was stuck there anyways I did enjoy my time to rest and having meals brought to me. Though I'm mean and bossy in the hospital and I kind of do what I want, and I think that's helped me to have "good" experiences. I walk when I want to, I pee alone, I co-sleep with my babies, etc.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 PM

With both deliveries I stayed the 48 hours, I wanted to go home a bit earlier, but not by much. I enjoyed most of the stay, ordering food off the menu, they even brought food for my dh, had trouble with my daughter latching and the lactation consultant visited me a few times to help me out which was great. Plus with me in bed, my mom and dh changed all the dirty diapers . My mom kept joking that the hospital stay is the most expensive hotel stay ever.

I think with this baby, I am going to ask my dr about staying only 24 hours, I have two kids at home and would like to be with them.

I think you should talk to your doctor about what sort of flexibility you have and go in with an open mind.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 AM

3 hours. Delivery room to car.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM

I ended up with a csection, early Tuesday morning and we were out (with some kicking and screaming) by Thursday morning. It was HORRIBLE. We were exhausted from a 4 day labor and the nurses kept coming in every few hours round the clock to wake me up, check my vitals and find out when DS last nursed. Not to mention the horrible LC and the fact that the nurses didn't want DS sleeping with either one of us and kept trying to take him to the nursery.

Ugh. It was awful and we're HBAC-ing this time, I can't wait to climb into my own bed with my brand new baby.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM

I stayed the whole 48 with my oldest. It was ok. I liked getting meals brought to me and that hospital was alright (the nurses and LC's werent fantastic with breastfeeding advice, though)

With my second I had planned a homebirth, but after 7 days of early labor, decided to go to the hospital. This time I had to go to one 30 minutes away because I had a marginal previa and my hospital was Community and did not handle placentas less than 2 cm away from the opening. I had a pretty easy birth and was very happy with the experience. HOWEVER, as soon as they turned me over to postpartum, HOLD ON. It was a nightmare. The nurses were busy bodies, they didnt understand the word NO, they kept coming in and waking me while me and baby were asleep because she was in bed with me and I was going to suffocate her. They were always trying to check my pads or stick me or probe us, vaccinate or bathe her. NO THANKS. Checked out about 36 hours in. NO THANKS.

This time, I will be checking out hours after any future births barring any complications, heck, I might just not go and have the baby at home on accident.

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 AM

wow... i had an unplanned c birth and was there for 5 days and even then had to beg them to let me go.
however, i didn't really want to go home any earlier b/c we had a horribly difficult time with breastfeeding, and i NEEDED all the lactation nurse help i could get. i imagine it's different with a second child too.
just a few days ago, though, my friend just had a baby in hospital and left the same day. i was impressed and amazed.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

User Tag List