Anyone ever experienced this during childbirth... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had planned for an unmedicated birth using the Bradley Method, but I had a very unexpected pain that I had never heard of or read about. It was a severe pain (worse than the contractions) in my very upper thigh... basically right below my hips and spreading down into the upper part of my legs. My husband is in the medical industry and says he thinks it was my "abductor" muscles, if that helps anyone. It was kind of like I had a charlie horse in this area, in each leg, with each contraction. It was miserable!! The whole theory of the Bradley method is to relax and I could relax through the contraction pain, but this other pain was impossible to relax through. The only way to get any sort of relief was to stand up and try to stretch those muscles out. The only problem was standing like that made the contraction pain worse, but the one time I actually tried to laid down through a contraction I got physically sick from the pain in my hip area!

Anyway, the nurse said she thought it was my hip bones expanding as the baby moved down. Which makes sense, but I already had very wide hips and my baby was under 7 pounds! Why would they need to expand? I think she was right though because the day after she was born I could not fit into pants I wore while I was pregnant! They would not fit over those widened hip bones!

I guess my question is... has anyone ever had this pain or heard of this pain, and if so how did you make it through without medication? I finally caved and got an epidural, but I would REALLY like to avoid that in the future, so I'm just curious.

Thanks for your help!
#2 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 PM

Some people feel labor contractions/cramping in their upper thigh in addition to/instead of in their abdomen. It's normal (although not common) and it's not caused by injury/disease/etc.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#3 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 PM

I don't have any personal eperience, but here are a few brainstorm ideas.
See a chiropractor regularly a few months before baby is born, one well versed in Webster technique. If you're in alignment, and baby's in the best position, I would think it would put less pressure on your hips. At least, I know that going to the chiro helps me with my pregnancy hip pain, so I expect it could only help prevent labor hip pain, too.

I would think warm water might help a lot, too. Did you get to labor in a hot bath or shower at all last time?

What about having a doula there who can specifically help massage your hips during contractions?

Also, it may have been a "first birth" type of thing that won't be repeated, because you're already nice and stretched out after your first. I hope that's the case for you.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#4 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok- thanks for the information. A good massage would have felt good, my poor husband just ended up being as exhausted as I was! Is it normal to have your hips expand that much? (To the point where you can't get your maternity pants on?) They have shrunk some but I can tell they are wider than they used to be.

I'm sure hoping this pain doesn't come back again!
#5 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention... she was posterior. Could that have made a difference? She ended up rotating but I already had the epidural by then so I'm not sure if that changed anything?
#6 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had that with my first. I had used bradley but wasn't able to use it because he was posterior and was 28 hours of back labor. I actually mainly felt the contractions in my back and a little in the front for the first 20 hours or so but I transferred to the hospital and got an epidural and it was during pushing then that I felt that pain in my legs/thighs. It was horrible!

My second birth, a hypnobabies one, with the baby in good positioning was nothing like that though. I had no leg pains or anything. So it's definitely possible that you won't experience it again.
#7 of 31 Old 06-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Pain can radiate to other parts of the body because nerves receive and transmit messages all over the body. I have known of women who felt labor pains in their knees, legs, and had shooting pains elsewhere.

Labor with a posterior presentation is often a whole world to itself. These labors are often more painful, longer, and one of the many reasons for the explosion in caesarean section rates.
#8 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 AM

I was going to suggest a posterior baby before you said it. Posterior babies can cause all kinds of pains that are not "textbook" contraction pains, and doulas are trained in techniques to help relieve these oddball pains. Trying different positions to get baby turned around would be first choice, but if baby is just plain stubborn, it sounds like a good double hip squeeze would have helped you out a lot.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
#9 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 AM

YUP!
I did with my first. She was NOT posterior, unless MW was wrong or she moved during labor, entirely possible i suppose...
It was MUCH worse pain-wise than actual contractions. It made me want to kick and curl up and stretch all at once - none of those things easy to do when a head is on it's way out
Didn't happen with second baby though, was at a birth center vs. hospital and was waterbirth vs. laying on bed. Maybe that's a difference?
I was SO relieved even though baby #2 was much (2 lbs.) bigger and took longer to descend... the absence of those awful leg/thigh pains was noticed
I think a lot of it was more confidence in laboring + birth center + waterbirth, if that helps your future plans!

Wife to J. Mama to girly S (4/07), little boy blue E (1/10) and tiny peanut girl due (7/12)

#10 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had pains shooting into my legs like that after being given pitocin to speed up labour (PROM at 34 weeks, and there were some signs of fetal distress). They were actually quite familiar from the sacroiliac pain I used to have after an accident in which I'd fallen on the small of my back and which tended to come back during menstrual cramps, so it hadn't occured to me that they might be unusual, just part of the all around misery (yes, I ended up needing an epidural as well - insisted on one after I was not supposed to move around or make a noise anymore but instead told to lie still on my left side as the baby's heartrate kept going down massively whenever I moved or screamed with a contraction). Maybe you want to have your sacroiliac joint looked at by a physiotherapist or osteopath?
I do hope that I will have neither PROM nor pitocin the second time around and that that will make for a more manageable labour. not that much longer, and I'll be able to let you know!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#11 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 AM

I'm pretty sure everyone's hips stretch out during labor, regardless of the babies' size. Mine did, and it did hurt in my hip/leg area! I did not have the thigh pain during labor, however whenever I get my period my right thigh will "cramp" as well as my lower abdomen.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#12 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Wow! This is all really helpful and gives me lots to think about! I'm definitely going to do all I can to prepare for that next one! And maybe start seeing a chiropractor soon, because my whole body has felt very "off" since giving birth! Thanks again for all the help!!
#13 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM

I had that very same thing with my second labour. In fact, thè only sign that labour had already begun was pain in my thighs. Labour with DS1 was lightning quick (almost born in the car), but I had 30+ hours of back labour with DS2, plus that pain you mentioned. He was also posterior. I didn`t get any drugs, but I was really, really nearing the end of my threshold.

Mommy to The Boy (August 2006) and Another Boy (November 2009)
#14 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM

I had extreme pain in my hips and thighs during pushing. I didn't feel it during labor but I spent the entire labor standing/on birth ball between contractions and in a squat during them. I felt like I *had* to squat during contractions. then I sat down on the birth stool to push and my hips cramped up. My midwife ended up propping my legs up on her shoulders while she sat on the floor so I could keep my hips straight. I wish I would have just pushed while squatting because I think I would have avoided that, that's my plan for this birth anyway.

I don't know if this pertains to you, but I have very loose hips from doing ballet into my early 20s. I've felt the same cramping during other activities from time to time so I know it was my loose hips expanding. Oh, and even when I got back down to my pre-pregnancy weight after the birth my hips were still too wide for my past pant size. My son was only 5lbs14oz and he widened my hips!

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#15 of 31 Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

typically, birth does widen everyone's hips. it changes the Q-angle of the femur, which is why a lot of moms have hip/knee pain after birth. they have to learn how to walk with the hips wider.

now, with certain exercises, they can be brought in again, but still there will be perhaps a 1/4-1/2 inch difference from pre to post pregnancy for most women.

this is just my experience with my own body and working with women in postnatal yoga.

but, my hips do actually fit my pre-pregnancy clothes, though that could be due to lycra.

otherwise, i agree that the pains were likely normal as mentioned by the previous posters.
#16 of 31 Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 AM

I only had the thigh pain during my labor with my son. It was the only place I really felt contractions. Very odd! A heated rice sock helped some but it was still painful. He was posterior. Wouldn't be suprized if the next one is to. My mom had 4 that all were posterior and my first was. I am thinking maybe the way I am shaped.

Fun loving crunchy mommy to an amazing outgoing adventurous boy named Logan Cloud 2/2/07 and our little ball of energy Jayden Edge 11/28/10 and wife to Jet 7/3/05 expecting our third 09/21/14

}
#17 of 31 Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 AM

I had this very same pain when I had my 5th baby. She was positioned OK. The way I coped w/ it was on hands and knees. I do NOT like to be on my butt or back during labor. I usually stand, and this was just not an option as the thigh pain was unbearable during ctrx. Hands and knees got me thru. Not fun, I think it was worse than any other pain I was experiencing at the time. It was puzzling too because in my 4 previous births I had not experienced the thigh pain. And it was also distressing because there wasn't a lot I could do about it. I never got any pain meds. But then again my labor was only 2 hrs. If it had been a lot longer I probably would have.
#18 of 31 Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 AM

maybe think about trying hypnobabies next time....when you are in hypnosis, during the active labor stage you "turn off" from your upper chest to your upper thighs.....that training of relaxing that section of your body could help next time.

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#19 of 31 Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 AM

I found this thread searching for "hip pain in labor" and since it was posted less than a month ago I will respond!

I felt terrible pain in my hips (not my legs, though) during the later portions of labor and the earlier stages of pushing. I remember it being more of an achy, pulling sensation. Like someone stuck a fork in my hips and was twirling the muscles around it like spaghetti. It was always there but got much worse with the contractions, and it was so painful that I did not even notice my contraction pain. I'm wondering whether or not I'll have the same kind of pain again now that I'm expecting my second.

This was a home birth and I didn't end up getting any medication. My midwife tried putting me in different positions and applying counter pressure to my hips, but none of it felt even remotely better. The only position that ended up feeling better at all was laying flat on my back (the way they tell you never to lay, lol!).

My maternity pants, even with all the elastic, didn't fit after the birth.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#20 of 31 Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM

I had a client who had that when she was pushing. She was shaking and crying because of the pain every time she had a contraction. The midwife reached in and felt her sutures, said that the baby was OT, and that if she could just push past the pain, baby would come down and rotate. And the mom did it, bless her. Once baby rotated, the pain subsided. My personal theory is that the baby's head was pressing on a nerve and causing that shooting pain.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#21 of 31 Old 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey44 View Post
One thing I forgot to mention... she was posterior. Could that have made a difference? She ended up rotating but I already had the epidural by then so I'm not sure if that changed anything?
Hmm. Interesting. I had labor pains in my thighs. DD was posterior at some point, but not by delivery.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#22 of 31 Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 AM

I haven't read through all the posts, but I wanted to tell you about my experience. I labored naturally for both my boys. Both times I experienced most of my pain during the first stage of labor in the hip, upper thigh, and buttock. With each contraction the muscles in this area also tightened. In fact, I experienced pretty severe muscle cramps and even tremors.

What gave me relief: moving during contractions (cat's breath pose especially), warm rice socks on hips and sacrum, and my husband and doula applying counter-pressure on my hips, sacrum, and buttock.

So you're not alone! Hope this helps.

ETA: Neither kiddo was posterior in my case, just very big (9lb9oz and 11lb5oz).
#23 of 31 Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM

I had that too!! That exacty pain -- shooting down my upper thighs, in the front. Oohh it was awful. I read about it afterward and it turns out a lot of people have it, but you never hear of it ahead of time! My baby was posterior, but he turned before the very end, so if the MW hadn't told me so (somewhere in the middle of my 46-hour labor) I wouldn't have known it when he came out. I did Bradley, too, and never took any drugs, except Pitocin afterward to stop the bleeding -- that's horrible that you could still feel it with an epidural in. From what I read, it has to do with a nerve that gets pinched when your womb contracts... maybe that's why it happens most often with posterior labors, because the head pinches something it's not meant to!
#24 of 31 Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Oh my, yes, I have more experience with this type of pain than you can possibly ever want to imagine.

My first child I had regular tummy contraction type of labor and delivery.

Starting with my second child I had labor in my hips/thighs. No pain anywhere else. It is mind blowing painful. With my second child it took me rather by surprise and I was furious when we got to the hospital and the nurse told me I wasn't in labor but just having RLP because "women dont feel pain in their hips when they are in labor" it was one of the few times I have actually wanted to smack someone. Oh, and of course she was wrong, I was very very much in labor. This was before I learned anything about natural labor or birth choices so I was at their mercy. They would not let me stand or sit up but lay down they kept coming in and pushing me back down on the table. So yeah.... after that and some other stupid things I had an epidural.

After that I started looking around for information. I went to a chiropractor and from what he could figure I had dislocated my right hip when I had my first child and that it had never really set back right. We worked really hard leading up to my third birth and I was soooo hopeful. I think I actually cried when I went into labor with my third and it was in my hips again. But that time around I was able to stand and move around in labor and that made soooo much difference.

Both of my labors since then have been in my hips. Some of my babies have been posterior, some not. Weights have ranged between 7pounds even and 8pounds 7 oz. I always am hopeful that this time it will be different, but so far no luck. But honestly as if I can stand and push down with my weight on my feet or if I sit on a birthing stool or toilet than the pain is manageable. Believe me I long for the type of pain I had with my first because it is so mild compared to labor in your hips, but you and anyone else can do it as long as you have an enormous amount of support and can move around at will. I mean if it was all that bad would I have had as many more children as I have had?

Oh and apparently this type of labor is pretty rare. With my third my CNM had over two decades of experience and she was fascinated while be sympathetic with me because according to her she had never not once seen a woman labor exclusively in her hips/thighs.

I guess we are just lucky like that.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#25 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 AM

I had that same pain during the posterior birth of my first (on my back, in a hospital bed), during the birth of my malpositioned 3rd (but much less painful in the water and I could find positions that were more comfortable than others) and with my 10lbs 14oz huge-headed 4th who was born at home in the water ... with him I changed my position in the water to being more upright/leaning forward and the sensation went away...it was the worst when I was out of the water waiting to get back in when he was moments from birth.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#26 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM

I labored and birthed naturally and felt all of my contractions in the area you described and always felt like I had to keep moving and stretching to make it go away. It wasn't a severe, crazy pain though.....just contractions. It was my first birth and my babe wasn't posterior like yours.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#27 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yet another story: a friend recently gave birth and told us that even after getting an epi, she felt the contractions in her foot! The only thing that helped was counterpressure. When her husband was exhausted, they managed to rearrange the hospital bed so she fcould apply teh pressure gerself.
It takes all sorts of pain...

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#28 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Didnt see an answer to this I hope this helps!

Quote:
Which makes sense, but I already had very wide hips and my baby was under 7 pounds! Why would they need to expand? I think she was right though because the day after she was born I could not fit into pants I wore while I was pregnant! They would not fit over those widened hip bones!!

When I got home from delivering my ds I could not fit into a single pair of pants. It felt as though my hips had exploded. I knew that hips spread for labor, but I also heard about people eventually fitting back into their prepreg jeans and its didnt feel like I ever would, it felt like my "structure" had changed. I looked into "shrinxhips" which is like a belt you put around your hips the 1st 6-8 wks postpardum and it supposedly helps bring your hips in. I tried this with an old "girdle" type thing I had from when I was a size bigger and I wore it low on my hips every day. (I also didnt read all of this till I was 6 wks post) but it still seemed to work. Apparently "relaxin" is still in your system until about 8 weeks after and you can utilize it to guide your hips back into place. Some people I read said they even used a belt. It worked really good for me within a week of wearing it I could fit a couple pairs of pants again. Hope this helps!

wife to dh of my life, and mom to ds 3/10

wife to dh the love of my life, and mommy to ds 3/10 . I get to spend everyday with my hero and my miracle.
#29 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Ok- thanks for the information. A good massage would have felt good, my poor husband just ended up being as exhausted as I was! Is it normal to have your hips expand that much? (To the point where you can't get your maternity pants on?) They have shrunk some but I can tell they are wider than they used to be.

I'm sure hoping this pain doesn't come back again!
I also couldn't fit into any pants afterwards because of how my hips had changed. And I already had very wide hips, and a 7 lb 4 oz baby. However, she also was posterior-- and didn't turn during labor, came out sunny side up. I had some thigh pain but it was mostly just pain in my hips, I didn't get a single pain in my abdomen-- it was all just in my back and feeling like someone was holding my hips in each hand and trying to break them.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#30 of 31 Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
feeling like someone was holding my hips in each hand and trying to break them.

I hate that we have all been through this in one way or another. I hate when I am talking with other women and I talk about this type of pain and they look at me like I just came from Mars. Thank you OP for asking this question. It has made me feel less alone.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page