After unplanned homebirth, dad cuts umbilical cord to SAVE BABY'S LIFE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh jeez. I have read a lot of news stories in which the reporter obviously knew less than nothing about birth. But in this story, they actually, literally say that the dad used a pair of scissors to cut the cord and KEEP THE BABY ALIVE!!! after an unplanned homebirth. How far can I ?
http://www.kens5.com/news/East-Texas...-96766524.html

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#2 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Dr. Blonder had already told Ricky what to do next. Ricky found construction paper scissors that belonged to his boys and some string he cut off the family’s outdoor hammock.

After tightening the string around the cord, Ricky prepared himself for the next step.

"I just said a prayer, held my breath and made the cut," Ricky said.

Fortunately, the technique worked.
ROTFLMAO! Baby's lucky it didn't get an infection from using scissors that weren't sterile and string from an OUTDOOR hammock.

Are we sure this isn't from the Onion?
#3 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 PM

~~~~~~~moderator moment~~~~~~~~

This is just a gentle reminder that although this is a fascinating story, and certainly a good jumping off point for a discussion of how "normal birth" is anything but normal in today's birth climate, the mdc user agreement ask that members:

Quote:
Do not post to invite MDC members to other communities, blogs or message boards for adversarial purposes or link to discussion about MDC at another site. Do not negatively discuss other communities or discussions elsewhere (this includes blog comments), regardless of whether or not you link to that discussion or community. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.
If you have any questions or concerns about this, please let me know. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~no back to your regularly scheduled thread~~~~~~~~

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 PM

I'd be much more worried about infection from unsterilized scissors and string from out in the yard than a newborn attached to her placenta. It's...bizarre how much emphasis is placed on the necessity of immediate cord clamping. Hopefully, we will eventually see this practice dropped.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#5 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM

The article says the baby spent two weeks in the hospital. I wonder if that had anything to do with the lack of sterile instruments used to cut the cord.
#6 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM

What on EARTH!!!?!?? You've got a late pre-term infant, and you're going out to the yard to cut a string from the hammock to cut the cord!?!? Dude, priorities. This is just bizarre.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#7 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM

I don't blame the dad for not knowing what to do. The doctor gave him poor and/or incomplete advice. And the reporter didn't bother to learn anything, even basic facts, before writing the story.

Really illustrative example of how twisted birth culture is in America most of the time, though.
#8 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 PM

I am honestly interested in what people think is in the umbilical cord/placenta. The "OMG, we've got to cut this cord!" reaction seems to be a re-occurring theme in these type of articles (meaning unplanned HB/UC). Like another poster mentioned, they are just trusting their doctors advice which is what our society tends to do. I'm seriously tempted to post a poll on FB or something asking what people think will happen or what they think is in there though.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#9 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned

i'm so lucky, then, that my son didnt' die due to being attached to his cord for 9 whole hours after his birth. OMG, am i lucky. LOL
#10 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't blame the dad, but I can't believe the doctor gave such awful advice! Yeah great, cut it with unsterile scissors, way to give the baby a raging infection, geesh.
#11 of 25 Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 PM

How on earth did our species survive for thousands of years before hospitals if people also didn't have scissors and handy rope or string at home? It's a wonder we're all here!

Jen, mom to DD1 10/01; DD2 6/05; DS 11/10; and 2 older cat.gif
#12 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritaserum View Post
I'd be much more worried about infection from unsterilized scissors and string from out in the yard than a newborn attached to her placenta. It's...bizarre how much emphasis is placed on the necessity of immediate cord clamping. Hopefully, we will eventually see this practice dropped.

Quote:
Dr. Blonder had already told Ricky what to do next. Ricky found construction paper scissors that belonged to his boys and some string he cut off the family’s outdoor hammock.

After tightening the string around the cord, Ricky prepared himself for the next step.

"I just said a prayer, held my breath and made the cut," Ricky said.

Fortunately, the technique worked.
"technique"??

Oh, and two weeks in the hospital???
#13 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 AM

if you actually strip back all the rubbish hype, that was just a nice-but-dull story of a normal birth and one lucky mama who had such an easy labour. the end.

NOT a life-or-death situation that should have made it anywhere near the media really is it?

she felt weird, she gave birth - what's so interesting/scary about that eh hahaha

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
#14 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

I think the two weeks in the hospital was because the baby was five weeks perterm.
I emailed the reporter, and I got a response, but I'm pretty sure she didn't actually read my email. She brightly thanked me for being a viewer and told me she valued the input of all of her viewers.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#15 of 25 Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 AM

I was thinking about this last night and the thing that really stood out to me was the unnecessary fear that must have been felt by both mom and dad... can you imagine how frightening that must have been? And without much need. I mean yes, an unplanned homebirth would probably be stressful, but if you've been educated about normal birth, perhaps been at a normal birth, have family/friends who have had normal births... well, the stress is there, but probably not the same sense of near terror.

But today families are divorced from normal birth... it's something that happens to them, in a ritualized setting with ritualized procedures and ritual experts (sorry, my anthro is talking!). Birth isn't something you can do on your own. So when "birth happens" just think of the shock, fear, and stress. I'm guessing that any future births in this family would be induced to avoid this same "tragedy"... but if they'd known that normal birth is, well, normal then maybe they would have felt less negative emotion at the time and might consider planned homebirths in the future since they would be confident that birth does, indeed, happen.

It just breaks my heart that birth has been stolen away from our culture to the extent that it can cause fear, panic, stress, and terror. I'm actually proud of this couple for "getting through it".... I may feel like a homebirth is normal, but like an agoraphobe walking to the mailbox to get the mail for the first time ever... for them it's a big deal. I just wish it wasn't.

(I have a mild phobia of driving... getting into a car causes a panic attack, but we live rurally and I have to drive almost every day. So I have a certain sympathy for people who find something "normal" to be "scary", and a kinship to their possibly "silly" pride in having done that "normal' act.)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#16 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 PM

Oh FFS. Will it never end?
#17 of 25 Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post
Oh FFS. Will it never end?
For real! Such a horrible article, and the headline, are you kidding me!?!?! wth!
#18 of 25 Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Ahh crap,I think my eyeballs just rolled right out of my head, can someone help me find them?!

Good grief.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#19 of 25 Old 06-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i'm so lucky, then, that my son didnt' die due to being attached to his cord for 9 whole hours after his birth. OMG, am i lucky. LOL

I have nothing else to add.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#20 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 AM

Wombatclay, that's exactly what I was thinking. That yes to most of us "here" birth is perfectly normal and natural, but that's our perspective.
I imagine their perspective was far different, that babies are meant to be born in hospitals and for it to happen otherwise is very scary and perhaps dangerous.

I just think that if that extreme fear wasnt there, she could have had the chance to enjoy the experience, I mean at least for what it was. While giving birth early in of itself can be scary, but if just knowing what was happening and happening at home wasn't going to be automatically harmful to her and her baby she would have felt much better.

I remember when I was younger watching shows like "911" where a mother was giving birth at home and it was treated like a life/death emergency, and since I didnt know anything else, it seemed exactly like that.

This knee jerk fear that rises up and you think, you are clueless, and inept to handle giving birth w/o the "help" of "professionals."
It took many years before I learned that giving birth was something completely different than what the media shows us.

I cant believe the doctor thought it was better to cut the cord w/dirty utensils and outdoor string than just wait? What did they think was going to happen? I dont get it. Ignorance.

I actually grew up in East Texas area, so I thought that was interesting.
I could give other opinions about the story but Ill keep them to myself.

Im glad others left comments, perhaps people may actually learn something instead of perpetuating the myth.

Amber
HSing mom to Caden 02/17/03 , and suddenly expecting #2 due 01/11
#21 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 10:26 AM

I read it and thought that if that same family heard about lotus birth their heads might explode. Not cut the cord at all? Crazy! So sad that cutting the cord was such a priority. Not just a "wow, look at our kid" moment, but a "oh no, medical emergancy!" On the plus side it sounds like everyone is healthy and that family now has a great story to tell at parties forevermore.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#22 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber87507 View Post
I remember when I was younger watching shows like "911" where a mother was giving birth at home and it was treated like a life/death emergency, and since I didnt know anything else, it seemed exactly like that.
emphasis added
Exactly! And if I hadn't read "The Thinking Woman's Guide" I would have also continued to believe what OBs told me:
  • eating & drinking in labor can kill your baby (a pediatrician said this to a friend at her shower)
  • cEFM is not only safe, not having EFM on continuously could result in a dead baby
  • Induction is not only safe, but going beyond 41W is horribly dangerous
  • AROM is not only safe, but beneficial
  • GBS is horribly dangerous & the ABTs are fine (Oh, and the vaginal exams are risk-free & vital too)
etc. etc. etc.

Sad. Just sad. It's one thing if people have fear of birth after being educated (like in the case of agoraphobia - I would imagine those people, intellectually realize the world isn't that dangerous, but that doesn't stop the fear.) Fear is an emotion & emotions are difficult to control & often won't be tamed by reason, facts & logic.

But it's the fact that people are so IGNORANT about birth - they simply DON'T KNOW simple facts that I find so dreadfully sad.
#23 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegBoz View Post
But it's the fact that people are so IGNORANT about birth - they simply DON'T KNOW simple facts that I find so dreadfully sad.
I agree. What I found even worse was the fact that a journalist and her editor were also that ignorant about birth, and that kind of blatant misstatement of biological fact made it into the mainstream media, which people generally believe to be true (and granted, I'm a print journalist and I can't tell you how much we look down our noses at TV reporters, but still).

#24 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Before I read the article, I was expecting a tight nuchal cord or a true knot in the cord or something like that in which cutting the cord would be more of a "life saving measure". This does not appear to be the case.

I'm glad that the baby was delivered safely and I imagine that the parents must have been afraid. Especially if a home birth was not something they were accustomed to or prepared for. Why was there such a weird emphasis on the cord cutting? (not to say anything of the dirty scissors and string...)
#25 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 AM

Very weird that people know so little about something as basic as birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page