A bit of a spinoff: When is a C-sec essential? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 03-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So, copslass, is your CPD now cured?

I am happy for you that your third, fourth, and fifth VBAC babies restored your faith in yourself.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#92 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been able to get a babe out all on my lonesome yet.. If I had maybe dh would be open to a HB, but I don't know because it hasn't happened..

I don't think my pelvis IS big enough.. DS1 was a c/s for breech.. The OB on call said i would always have c/s because my uterus is mis-shapen.. She was wrong.. I've had 2 vbacs now, BUT both of them required help on the exit.. DS2 required forcept because after 4 hrs of pushing and 18 hrs of labor.. I didn't have it in me to push anymore.. He was a high forcepts delivery, and i was just glad he wasn't another c/s... Our latest Ds3 was helped with a vaccuum at the very end.. I probably could have done it, but his tones were decelerating, and not rebounding after the contractions..

Maybe one day I will have a birth that doesn't require help.. It's possible.. Millions of generations of women have done it I know.. I also think that in previous generations.. I would have been one of those women that died..

I know alot of members roll their eyes at sentiment like that, but you are not me, and you have not had my births..

You do not live the lives of women who are told they have CPD.. Or a mis-shapen uterus.. If I didn't have such a VBAC supportive OB.. I would have had another c/s.. And it wouldn't have been neccesary.. I'm glad it was "avoidable" the 2nd and 3rd time..

I NEVER judge a woman for her birth... It does no good to tell someone after the fact.. Well you know.. You really didn't need to have a c/s..

If you felt you needed one, then you probably did..

Babe awake..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#93 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I've had 2 vbacs now, BUT both of them required help on the exit..
If there is room to get the forceps in, there is room to get the baby out. (NOT meant to be judgmental! ) Most likely you were just exhausted.

My first was a low-forceps delivery after a 38-hour labor that included 4 hours of pushing. I'm having a homebirth with #2 and I know the same thing is not going to happen again. It had nothing to do with my pelvic size, it had to do with forced pushing - being told that if I didn't start pushing immediately, the baby would creep farther and farther up, and every time I rested between pushing I had to hear how far up the baby was climbing, so I really wore myself out. If I was allowed to push only when I felt the urge and encouraged to rest in between, I would have had the energy I needed. I've also learned that it's normal for the baby to retreat a bit between pushes.

Of course, I don't know what your birth experience was like, but you probably do not have an abnormal body.
#94 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 02:22 AM

T At another board I'm a regular on, which shall remain nameless, 5 out of the 6 women who have been induced (early, I might add, in all cases) ended up with c-sections. I'm one of the last left without a babe because I refuse to be induced-although it's been brought up at the last 2 appts. But I admit to being scared by the scare tactics, kwim? The stillbirth rates and all that, and you can bet the OB has brought them up.

Now...on the other hand, I think my babe has turned transverse again. So I have no problem deciding to have a section at this point if he is...because I've done absolutely everything I can (herbs, chiro, accu, exercises) to get him to turn.

But to have an (almost certain) section because you want the babe to be out earlier? Well of course no one likes the last couple weeks of pregnancy, they are miserable! But why put your body through that unless there is a documented medical reason?

Just my .02
#95 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greaseball
How is the pit connected? Can't the patient turn it off, or pull out her IV?
If I did that I would paint the walls with my blood! With my dd's hospital birth I had bruises on the backs of my hands, insides of my wrists and arms where they tried to get the IVs in. Blew lots of veins!
#96 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RacheePoo
T At another board I'm a regular on, which shall remain nameless, 5 out of the 6 women who have been induced (early, I might add, in all cases) ended up with c-sections. I'm one of the last left without a babe because I refuse to be induced-although it's been brought up at the last 2 appts. But I admit to being scared by the scare tactics, kwim? The stillbirth rates and all that, and you can bet the OB has brought them up.
I noticed that when I was posting on a board like that. I finally left because I couldn't take the postnatal weaning at 2 weeks and Ezzo stuff... but anyway... the other gals due the same week as I were all induced early. The were going nuts at 36 weeks and already planning to ask for their inductions.
#97 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 04:34 AM

I am new to this forum, this is actually the first topic I picked to read and I read every bit of it with relish! Thank you all for discussing this topic which has been so difficult for me to work through. This is the first time I've encountered an open honest discussion about c-s and pitocin induction. I usually have the feeling that the only acceptable way to discuss c-s in AP circles is to focus on avoiding, preventing, listing the risks and dangers, which leaves me feeling as if sharing my own experience would be unwelcome. So thanks for starting this discussion, and to everyone who contributed. It gives me peace. I look forward to checking out the rest of these forums!

I would like to add one reason to plan a c-s to the original list, because it is my experience, and becasue it was so lonely when she was a newborn and no one seemed to have heard of it. It is Birth injury. My daughter was born at 42 weeks after 48hours of pitocin with nerve damage to her right shoulder (called Brachial Plexus Injury because of the nerves involved). This was the result of the maneuvers the midwife used to release her shoulder when it was stuck during delivery (shoulder dystocia) The birth itself was traumatic for me, especially because I did not know for several minutes if my daughter had survived, and after I realized she was ok a paralyzed arm at first seemed minor to me. Over the years (she is 5) she has recovered beautifully through physical therapy, but some degree of nerve damage is permanent, and it certainly has not been easy taking her to therapy since she was two weeks old, and recently having her put under general anesthesia for a MRI of the shoulder. The point of this is, I chose to have a c-section when I was pregnant with my son. Not everyone in my situation does, but there is an increased chance of repeat injury which I was not willing to risk. Surgery was certainly not fun, especially armed as I was with so much info about the risks, and it was painful as well becase I had to give up my life long desire for a natural birth. But my son's c-s birth is the birth I remember as the fabulous moment when a healthy pink baby entered my life, just like a dream come true.

Thanks again,

Nissa:
#98 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Pynki

I know alot of members roll their eyes at sentiment like that, but you are not me, and you have not had my births..

You do not live the lives of women who are told they have CPD.. Or a mis-shapen uterus.. If I didn't have such a VBAC supportive OB.. I would have had another c/s.. And it wouldn't have been neccesary.. I'm glad it was "avoidable" the 2nd and 3rd time..

I NEVER judge a woman for her birth... It does no good to tell someone after the fact.. Well you know.. You really didn't need to have a c/s..

If you felt you needed one, then you probably did..

Babe awake..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan
Dear Dyan,

I have NEVER told a woman that she didn't really 'need' a c-sec. As someone has already said on this thread (maybe it was you, I can't exacly remember ) most c/s are necessary but some are also avoidable. As in, ESSENTIAL at the time it was conducted but the steps and interventions leading up to the event may have been avoidable. Yk? Ultimately it should always be the Mama's descision. WE have to do what we feel is best for our children and ourselves with the information we are given, right?

The problem here, in my HUMBLE opinion, is MISINFORMATION. WE are constantly told by our husbancds, relatives and Doctors that we CANNOT do something! "You can't push a baby out with a pelvis that small", "If you don't give that child antibotics he'll go deaf!", "if you don't vaccinate that baby he'll infect the rest of the modern world with Diptheria!!!", "If you don't circumcise that baby his penis will start growing green fungus and fall off" and so on and so forth...

If an OB or a midwife with much experience in catching babies tells a woman she can't birth vaginally, well, if she is of lesser experience (esp first time Mama's) she's prob going to believe them, whether it is accurate or not. She'll forever doubt her ability to birth a babe vaginally. This affects every ASPECT of labour and delivery! A woman's state of mind and ability to relax are very important when giving birth and if you always have "The Doctor told me I couldn't do this" in the back of your mind, how can you relax?

In the births I have heard of thru friends, my own, and those (only 2 ) I have witnessed, it has been my experience that how a woman labours and how the pushing phase is managed has more to do with how babe is born than the size of a woman's pelvis.

We are ALL different and each babe and birth is DIFFERENT! How dare someone try to tell us that we will ALWAYS have to give birth one way?! There are always extenuating circumstances and there are lots of good reasons why a Mama shouldn't even attempt a vaginal birth.

I guess that's more of what I was getting at when I started this thread. What are the reasons why a Mama shouldn't even attempt to birth vaginally. I don't think there are a lot, but there are some.

Again, I would like to reiterate that no one has any right to pass judgement on a Mama for a well thought out descision to have a c/s she felt was in the best interest for her child! No ONE!!

I have to say (if I haven't already) that I have and am thoroughly enjoying this discussion! There has been virtually no malice and everyone has been very respectful of one another. I have and am learning lots! Thanks so much ladies!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#99 of 99 Old 03-28-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinhead
If an OB or a midwife with much experience in catching babies tells a woman she can't birth vaginally, well, if she is of lesser experience (esp first time Mama's) she's prob going to believe them, whether it is accurate or not. She'll forever doubt her ability to birth a babe vaginally. This affects every ASPECT of labour and delivery! A woman's state of mind and ability to relax are very important when giving birth and if you always have "The Doctor told me I couldn't do this" in the back of your mind, how can you relax?
Too true. This happened to me to a certain degree. Having given birth a second time and rethinking through my first birth... I truly believe I was ready to push long before I was told I was fully dialated. I kept feeling pushy and feeling the need to be upright (because I was induced I was supposed to stay in bed ) and I heard the nurse tell my mom it would be dinnertime before I gave birth. My mom knew better and was so angry that the nurse said that, especially in my hearing. I was actually fighting against my body's natural urge to push because I thought it wasn't time yet because of what the nurse said. BTW, that was around 1pm and my dd was born at 3:34pm (It took 30 minutes to push her out on my back).

My second birth I went from 9cm to ds in my arms in just 1/2 hour... I was trusting my body to do it's job that time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page