Cousin getting an abdominal hysterectomy - need advice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had a c-section 2.5 years ago, so I can give some thoughts. But here is the situation:

My 18 year old cousin is autistic (mid to low functioning - no meaningful talking) and has epilepsy (regular grand mal seizures). They are doing this in the hopes of hopes of helping her seizures. The type of surgery will be abdominal, which from what I have read is similar to a c-section. She will be in the hospital for 2 days and they hope to have her discharged pretty quickly (I think a lot of that is more because of her emotional abilities and she will probably do better at home).

Her mom (my aunt) can not be there as she is undergoing extensive testing as she was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic melanoma and they are trying to get her in a clinical trial (experimental medicine is her only option). So the person who knows her the best can not be there.

Soooo, I can give my mom (who will be helping) some ideas on recovery help, but I was wondering if there are any suggestions that would be good for someone like my cousin. She is very sensitive to sights and sounds.

My suggestions:
1. Try to get her to walk as soon as possible.
2. Make sure they bandage her well enough that she can not mess with the incision (she is getting glue so they don't have to put her under to remove the stitches).
3. Heating pad.
4. Take her pain meds regularly.
5. Realize that some of those pain meds can cause constipation so have some stool softeners around in case she is not pooping.
6. Someone suggested throat lozenges for her throat because it will be general anesthesia.
7. Comfy clothes that are not tight in the area.

Anyone know if she will have a fair amount of vaginal bleeding? Any other nice comfort measures that you remember? My mom really wants to know so she can be super prepared.

Thanks!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page