An induction or c-section for a truly big baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had 3 big babies vaginally. The U/S was off by 1lb+ with 2 of them. The boys 10lb4 and 11lb1 came with no stuck shoulders. The smallest and last got very stuck. It was a HB. Midwife had me get on hands and knees after her head was out and it was obvious she was stuck. It took a few more pushes to get her out. She pinked immediately.

Would she have come out fine if I have not been able to turn over (like in hospital setting) I don't know, but I thought you may be interested because of the whole bigger baby= more likely to have dystocia issue. Her head and chest circumferences were an inch smaller than my 11lber that didn't have dystocia. I did have to do as extra hard push for his shoulders, though.

I firmly believe that if I had been induced early even by a few days with any of them, it would not have worked. My body was working so hard to loosen those bones to let the babies thru in those last few weeks (I was so sore!!!). Not that I am saying you should do the section either.....
#32 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM

Sometimes, all the options are crappy! Ugh!

I am SO hoping you go into labor on your own before you have to make any decisions, LOL!

I have a question here..if a mama has pretty sure dates, and yet her baby is larger than perhaps the others she's delivered, does this ever (or often) play a part into "going into labor early"? Does the size of the baby have a part in signaling mom to go into labor?

Does this mama have a good chance of going into labor prior to the need for decision making, because her baby is (assuming u/s is close) bigger than average term babies?

Oh, and on the macrosomia deal...my 1st pregnancy I was horribly GD. I was on LARGE amounts of prednisone which caused bad insulin resistance. I wore a 24 hr insulin pump. At 34 weeks I had PROM and early delivery. He was 6 lbs 10 oz, but had a chest circumference larger than his head-I believe it was 15 1/4. He looked like a buff little dude..I didn't realize then that his proportions were from being mainlined sugar, despite my best efforts...Now I know this is a GD baby. So, this would be where the dystocia came into play for me if it was going to..thankfully, I delivered without issue.

Blessings to you, and sorry you are faced with these worries...we are pulling for you! KUP!

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!
#33 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Do what is in your heart to do. With my 2nd baby was right at 10 pounds. He was a huge baby -- fat and long but we did deliver naturally after his due date.

With my 3rd they told me she would be 11 pounds (had an u/s the day before her delivery) she was only 8 pounds, induced after EDD.

U/s can be wrong but I know that would be scary to have GD and know the chance of having a large baby. I think I would choose the induction at 38 weeks.
#34 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

FillingQuiver, that is an interesting thought/question. I am pretty sure this guys rapid weight/size gain is what caused my preterm labor at 31 weeks uterus/cervix thought he was approaching my usual delivery weight. I have never had PTL before, but dilated from very long/closed/firm to 75% effaced/3cm/soft in less than 24 hours, and was + for fFn. Being off my feet and on procardia till 35 weeks helped me to reverse to 25% effaced, 1-2cm and soft....Took the weight stress off??

This is my first GD pregnancy. I have weighed exactly the same each time I have gotten pregnant, but I have gained the least this pregnancy (without any effort on my part) I have not gained any weight at all since 25 weeks.
After two 2nd tri losses last year for unknown causes, we've had many people praying for a big healthy full term babe.....Maybe too many!

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#35 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Careful what you wish for, right?

I have not seen any evidence for preterm labor caused by size outside of multiple pregnancies. You sure there's one in there?
http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/24043_24062.asp

http://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/fetal...-triggers.html

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#36 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetboysmom View Post
After two 2nd tri losses last year for unknown causes, we've had many people praying for a big healthy full term babe.....Maybe too many!
OT: But I had to laugh at this Being pregnant with Toad after losing five babies before him and everyone (including me!) was doing the same thing as you. The mantra was "stay in baby, stay in baby, stay in baby". He listened He was born at 43 weeks, 2 days

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
#37 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM

I wasn't even so much wondering about PTL, but more about just the uterus saying, "Alright, this one is HUUUGE...let's get this done now"..you know, like 37/38 weeks, rather than a 40/41 week gestation.

I just wonder if there is anything there to that question, but then I have to think no, because so many mama's deliver 9, 10, 11 lb babies AFTER their dates..so they'd be plenty big by 38/39!

Yes, praying for a big fatty fat fatso after your heart has broken in a loss certainly seems to have been answered big time!

I pray everything goes well for you, and that you are in labor SOON on your own!

Blessed Christian Wife and Mother to 5 +Oliver James-Our 10 lb 9 oz born Labor Day 2010!
#38 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM

On the question of bigger baby-sooner spontaneous labor....I believe the newest research shows that once the baby's LUNGS (not size of baby as that doesn't really matter as much in thriving as lung development) are developed, the baby and the placenta shoot some sort of hormone to the mom's pituitary gland that signals her to start labor.

i don't think it's about size, I think it's about development, or if there are complications and the body is saying, get this thing out of me, it's killing me, etc, the body will do what it needs to to survive.
#39 of 60 Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM

At the postpartum visit I did today, the mom was telling me about someone she knew who just had a baby that the doctors said was going to be 11 pounds. They chose to do a c-section because of the size. The baby was born at 9lbs, 3oz (smaller than my client's vaginally born baby). It was likely an unnecessary surgery.

In your case, if it's something you are really worried about, I would go for a slow induction over a surgical birth. Get your Bishop score, decide about cervical ripening agents before they start pitocin. Do all your research. But remember that a baby measuring huge doesn't mean they will be.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#40 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 AM

I haven't ready everything....

While GD does carry a risk of macrosomia and indeed changes in frame leading to higher rates of SD, if your numbers have been well controlled it is unlikely that this is the case for your baby. I did a ton of reading when I was diagnosed with GD- everything I could get my hands on said that diet controlled GD in a mom who is not obese results is similar outcomes to normal low risk pregnancy. Further, your fasting readings are the most important reading of the day. High after mean numbers are not correlated to typical GD problems.

That being said.... If I were in your shoes I'd get a 3D u/s, I would search my soul as to weather or not I thought the baby was BIG, and if I truly thought I was at risk for SD given how my GD had gone. Then, if after that I was scared about SD I would wait for true labour to start and have a Csec. No scheduled Csec, no induction, both cary higher risks.
#41 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
What about giving labor a try and having c-section as a backup plan (it is anyway, afterall, in hospital births)?
Personally, I would want to wait to at least 40 wks to induce. Especially if the dates are off, a couple weeks can make so much difference to lung development.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#42 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM

I thought you were gonna say your babe was 13lbs...9 lbs is not huge, 10 pounds is not huge, yeah it's big but people have those size babies all the time. I would never induce/section for myself, I would always give labor a go.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#43 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM

I think the ability of the mom to move freely to whatever position she feels comfortable in(and it might not please the staff, oh well) and avoiding being either on her back or semi-sitting, has more of a bearing on dealing with SD than the size of the baby, per se. I have seen 12 lbers birthed fine at home, and know one lady personally in another state who said her 13 lb boy was her easiest birth(also a homebirth). Also nuchal arm/hand can slow things down a little. But if mom has room to move and get on hands/knees, or however she feels comfy, she can birth a really big baby without distocia...and homebirth midwives are trained to help deal with/avoid SD, whereas most docs get a little panicky....a cesarean might cause lung problems further down the road, perhaps?
#44 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

An ultrasound at 6w2d exactly matched my regular 28d cycle, charted (sympto thermal) ovulation date, and the night we ruptured a condom!! I am VERY sure of the dates for this pregnancy.

I understand, I'm not looking at 13lbs...but possibly over 12lbs by 40 weeks. I was not thinking monsterously huge...My title was more to indicate that I have a high degree of trust in these estimations for weight (for many arguable reasons, which I was not interested in debating) ie. Assuming it is true that he is big...induce, or c-section?

9 1/2 lbs at 36 weeks is very big...off the top of the chart big.
Since my largest babe to date was only 8.5lbs (and I worked HARD for him), 11lbs is as large as I will attempt. My intuition will not stop bugging me when I am considering a weight above 11lbs...But, I really would like to deliver vaginally.
My mother, mother in law, and various sisters in law on both sides have all had babes in the 6-8lb range, at term, spontanious labor. Within the sphere of personal experience and history there is a norm and an outside of norm for an individual.

My question is, what order do the risks of my various options fall into?
Is it better to A. induce+deliver earlier, risking induction and lung and liver maturity,or B. carry untill I go into active labor, but have no confidence in my ability to physically deliver because of my son's size and opt for a c-section, or C. trust that the moon stars and my pelvis will line up in such a way as I'll be able to vaginally deliver him (without injury to him or serious injury to me) no matter what his head and shoulder measurements may be?

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#45 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM

C.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#46 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM

I absolutely vote wait for early labor and then get the c-sec.

If you have these kinds of doubts, it will be problematic in your labor. If you truly can't wait for labor to start do to an uncooperative care provider, can you schedule for 39 weeks or so?

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#47 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM

I would say C.

#48 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM

I haven't seen all the other replies, but I'm sure most of them say neither. As a mom pg. after the loss of a newborn, I know that it's different after a loss. You aren't as willing to accept low odds because you've lived through being that "small" statistic.

That said, if this baby is anywhere near as big as my son who died, I will be considering an induction. I was measuring 40 cm 6-7 weeks before his birth. He was over 10lbs. and NOT fat or squishy. Totally bones/muscles. His shoulders got stuck, his x-rays showed a cracked collarbone that was bad, not just a little fracture, but almost split in half. Knowing he suffered that on top of the rest of his problems is hard. I won't do that to another child.

I say do what you think is best- I personally would go for the induction IF my body was ready to deliver. But I just wanted to say that after a loss or birth injury there is a different perspective.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#49 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama View Post
I haven't seen all the other replies, but I'm sure most of them say neither. As a mom pg. after the loss of a newborn, I know that it's different after a loss. You aren't as willing to accept low odds because you've lived through being that "small" statistic.

That said, if this baby is anywhere near as big as my son who died, I will be considering an induction. I was measuring 40 cm 6-7 weeks before his birth. He was over 10lbs. and NOT fat or squishy. Totally bones/muscles. His shoulders got stuck, his x-rays showed a cracked collarbone that was bad, not just a little fracture, but almost split in half. Knowing he suffered that on top of the rest of his problems is hard. I won't do that to another child.

I say do what you think is best- I personally would go for the induction IF my body was ready to deliver. But I just wanted to say that after a loss or birth injury there is a different perspective.
I am so sorry for your loss. I've had the giant framed babies as well, one of whom had a SD that could easily have been fatal. And I know how much my perspective altered from that experience.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#50 of 60 Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama View Post

Totally agree with you. I vote induction as well.
#51 of 60 Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Had my weekly ob appointment this afternoon...It appears my placenta is weighing in on the issue too, and may wind up making the decision for me. Fasting glucose has been dropping (which I know CAN indicate placental deteroration) but I have been ignoring it. BP is up, swelling is WAY worse and I am spilling +2 on the urine dip for protein.
Doing a 24hr urine plus all the misc lab draws, and adding twice weekly NSTs and ob visits to my life!
Will know the results on Monday or Tuesday am.

#52 of 60 Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Sept04mama
I am so sorry for your loss...Yes, loss definately colors your perspective and re-frames how you do things and think things through.

I really do feel reasonably confident that I could birth up to 11lbs, but beyond that my intuitition really won't allow me to seriously consider it, and that 'voice' is as important...maybe more so than any dr, or natural birth philosophy. I've been around farm animals all of my life. I know that occasionally things simply don't fit.

#53 of 60 Old 07-09-2010, 02:28 AM

I know you will make the choice that is right for your baby - I look forward to hearing the good news of his birth.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#54 of 60 Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Whatever your gut speaks loudest, go with it Mama.
I've been induced with pit 3 times. My 3rd birth, dd #2 was a requested induction if you will, at 39 weeks (after I swore to never be induced again). My gut was telling me something wasn't right, her movements were different, I was smaller and my day and night dreams were filled with visions of cord, knots and absent fluid. My mw knew and I knew that the baby needed to come. Had a nst and they tried tell me all was well, though it took 45 mins and juice and coersion for reactive strip, the fluid check was less than 1.5 and all the tech saw was cord. She couldn't find 1 good pocket for measure.
I went immediately for induction and dd was born safely 14 hours later. I ahd continuous monitoring because I needed to hear her and so did my mw. I would have been in for c/s in an instant given the situation and that was ok by me, my 'voice' was that loud. It's amazing she tolerated the labor and birth as she did.
She was born with an incredibly looong cord. My mw had never seen anything like it and was truly amazed, dd waswrapped and wrapped over and over with neuchal x3 also had 2 true knots, both pulled tight and begining to turn white, 1 snug between her legs, the other under an arm, and very, very little fluid in spite of the IVs for hydration throughout the induction. I don't mean this as a scary birth story, that's not my intention, just that in reality we don't know exactly what is happening in there. We only have our guts and our guesses.
You're right on with your 'voice' and yes, sometimes things just don't fit. A farm girl myself, I've seen that.
All will be well Mama, however baby gets here. It sounds like you are very concious with the reality of your ability and limits.
Mama.
I look forward to his birth story .

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#55 of 60 Old 07-17-2010, 04:46 PM

:

I'm on my 4th diabetic pregnancy (insulin)... having had three other GD (insulin, glyburide) pregnancies.

I was induced for DS1 and DD1. DS2 came on his own before my scheduled induction. DS2 was 9 lbs. 12 oz. and DD was 9 lbs. 14 oz.

I think based on what you're telling me, I would plan on keeping baby in as long as possible... even if it meant a c-section at 39 weeks. I would talk to my OB about perhaps another u/s at that time, and considering trying to induce if things didn't seem too big.

One thing I would wonder about is if you are going for the c-section anyway... can you wait until labor starts on his own to have it?? In that way, your baby gets all the necessary hormones, etc. to help prepare him to breathe on his own... plus you "know" that he was ready to come out. I don't know if there are issues with c-sections and larger babies, though... or if you are prone to quick labors, etc.

I think your intuition is the most important thing, though. So if you are leaning towards a c-section being safest for you and baby, then go with it. You can find some good c-section birth plans here on MDC that can help make the experience as positive as possible for you and baby.

Good luck... and may you have a healthy baby and good birth experience no matter what his size and how he comes out.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#56 of 60 Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Given that inductions frequently end in csection anyway, I'd keep baby in as long as possible and opt for the csection. (I've had 2 easy vag births and one csection - surgical birth was no fun, not emergency, but medically necessary. I would have LOVED to not have it, but I know it was the right thing to do -this was my 3rd and last baby, so it was very sad for me, but healthy baby is most important. I did all I could to have a 3rd natural birth, but it just didn't work). It sounds like the decision will need to be made sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#57 of 60 Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 PM

Just an update, 2sweetboysmom had her baby with an induction on July 13.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1244374

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#58 of 60 Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the update. So glad her induction was a success and that she and the little one are doing well.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#59 of 60 Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 PM

Congrats to the OP! Glad they are both fine.

#60 of 60 Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Yay!! Thanks for the update!

Congrats, 2sweetboysmom!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page