Mothering Forum banner

Heavier bleeding 2wks postpartum?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MsBlack 
#1 ·
I'll try to make this brief. I gave birth to a healthy and robus baby boy July 3rd, he was 11lb5oz. However, the afterbirth did not come out on it's own and I started hemorrhaging soon after childbirth. The OB sent me to the OR for an emergency DNC and two blood transfusions.

Initially, I had very little post-partum bleeding. It was only moderately heavy for two days then started looking pink almost immediately. I was surprised that I didn't have a lot of uterine cramping, even though this was my second child.

My discharge was looking brownish last week and I thought it would be ending soon. However, the past couple days I have been bleeding much heavier and feeling some moderate cramping.

Does this sound normal? It's been 4 years since I had DS1 so I can't remember the details of post-partum bleeding - only that it continued for 8 weeks with him! I've never had a DNC before this one, so I don't know if it's normal to have more bleeding later or if they may have missed something.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Over-exerting yourself can bring on more bleeding after it has diminished greatly, all the way up until you fully stop the postpartum flow. It doesn't take much 'over-exertion', this soon after birth--have you been on your feet more, doing more, going out and about more in the last couple days? If so, this could explain your increase in bleeding.

If you are NOT soaking a pad every hour, then it's probably ok. It will likely diminish again soon if you rest, eat well and drink plenty of water.

However, if you are soaking a pad every hour, and/or this renewed bleeding does not diminish over the next few hours with rest, etc, then you should probably seek professional assistance. You may be trying to expel some piece of placenta, membrane, or blood clot--if the cramping/bleeding brings it out soon, then bleeding should diminish readily. But if something is stuck in there, you may need some assistance in getting it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.