Maybe someone can help me out with info re: delivering with a low placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-15-2004, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In usual Lisa fashion, I'm probably doing all this worrying for nothing, but I can't help it.

I've been dealing with placenta previa since my routine u/s at 20 weeks. At that time, I was told I had complete previa. The lower 1/4 of my placenta was covering the cervical os. I had a re-check u/s at 26 weeks that showed the placenta had migrated upward and I was considered at partial previa. I just had my 30 week u/s last Monday and am now considered to be a marginal previa (possibly even just low-lying). I know one measurement they took (abdominally) showed the placenta to be 7.9mm away from the os. They did end up doing a very gentle vaginal u/s, but I didn't catch what the measurements were with it.

I have another u/s in 3 weeks, and I'm totally optimistic and confident that the placenta will have moved more.

What concerns me, is how much it will move. From the reading I've done, a marginal previa is 0-2cm away from the os and a low-lying is classified as 2-8cm away from the os.

I mean, I just don't see my placenta moving 7+cm's in the next 7-9 weeks.

So, now, I have the fear that the placenta will be somewhat out of the way, enough to *consider* a vaginal birth, yet close enough to warrant worry about profuse bleeding during labor.

Obviously after the natural vaginal birth I had with my ds, I DO NOT want a c-section. Yet, if there is an increased danger of life-threatening hemorrhage I'd like to sign up for one today. I'm just so torn and don't know what the right thing to do is.

Also, the hospital I will be delivering at is a good one. Heck, I worked there for 5 yrs as a nurse. But, the OB unit isn't used to high-risk situations AT ALL, and it makes me all the more nervous.

Blech!!! I hate worrying. I just want a normal placenta and to go into labor on my own.

Sorry for the whine.

Any info, anyone??? I'm not finding much on the www about it.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#2 of 8 Old 03-16-2004, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

bump.

Please.

Anyone?

Pamamidwife? Veganmama?

help.

#3 of 8 Old 03-16-2004, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ah, mama, I'm not too sure about the actual measurements, but I think that if it's not covering the os, you're fine.

It sounds like it will be perfectly ok. Are you seeing an OB? CNM? Midwife? What do they say?

I would assume that it will move higher - and even now, it feels like it would be fine. However, I don't know much about measurements for previa.

A low-lying placenta is one thing - a previa (where it's actually covering the cervix) is another. I feel like the only issue with low-lying placentas could be some extra bleeding after the birth (and the fact that the placentas usually come out maternal side first, rather than the "normal" baby side first - which is no big deal, just fun to see). The extra bleeding happens when the fundus (the top of the uterus) is totally firm, but the sides haven't gotten into the swing of things yet. Usually it's not a big deal, though.

Oh, mama, I wish I could be more definitive. In my eyes, though, it looks good for you!
#4 of 8 Old 03-16-2004, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you, Pam!!!

I see an OB. There aren't any midwives around these parts. My OB is really relaxed and awsome. I actually don't see her again until next Tuesday when I'll be 32 weeks. I'm sure she'll go over the results of my most recent u/s with me, but until then I just wanted some info and reassurance.

Again, thank you. I think things will be fine too, it's just the 'what ifs' that always get me worried.

lisa

#5 of 8 Old 03-18-2004, 02:42 PM

Hi Lisa,

Sounds to me like your placenta is migrating upward just fine. Remember, you have a while left and it will continue to move up gradually. As it's already off the cervix, I'd be pretty confident that it won't be a concern by birth time. Try to relax! I know that's not as easy as it sounds.
#6 of 8 Old 04-02-2004, 01:38 AM

I got a call on my 18 week u/s results this afternoon to find out that I currently have total placenta previa (it that's what it is called). I'm freaking a little but trying to gather information and details to really know what I'm in for.

Wondering how you dealt with the news and what plans to think about?

I have a follow up u/s at 25-26 weeks so I have to wait a while.

Thanks
#7 of 8 Old 04-02-2004, 06:09 PM

Dawnwd,
Don't know if you've seen my thread on vasa previa (it's back a couple of pages now), but the advice I would offer is to ask your doctor specifically to check for it with a color doppler!! If you have a vasa previa (and it is rare) then it is critical to find out before you go into labor. Most of the time this condition is not caught early enough.

Good luck--hope it all turns out well for you!!
#8 of 8 Old 04-02-2004, 10:22 PM

I had a low-lying placenta with my first. Several ultrasounds also to determine position. It moved out of the way just like it sould. I had a completely normal vaginal birth with very little bleeding. The only weird thing is that the placenta came out very fast after the baby. Good luck, I am sure it will be a great birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page