How to use witch hazel? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard that witch hazel can be soothing after birth. But, I have no idea how to use it. Is it a lotion or a liquid? I think I heard you can pour it onto a pad and put it in the fridge. Is that right? Is witch hazel used just to soothe hemorrhoids or for soothing other parts as well. What if you have stiches in your perineum? Can you still use it?
#2 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was given pre-moistened witch hazel pads at the hospital to take home. It's a liquid. The pads were used for itching - for hemmorhoids or for stitches. My tear repair stitches got really itchy before they dissolved. I just dabbed a pad on my labia. I think you can moisten a pad or towel or cotton ball and dab it on you.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 04:44 PM

I Witch Hazel. You can buy pre-moistened pads but they tend to be pricey. Until my 3rd child I didn't even know you used witch hazel for birth related soreness, I had only heard of it being used with hemorrhoids. I buy in a bottle from the local pharmacy, very cheap, and poke a hole in the foil/plastic liner that is the tamper resistant thing under the cap when you buy such stuff, think like with rubbing alcohol or peroxide. Then I use it like a squirt bottle and either spray it onto a super soft re-usable pad/cloth and press pat as needed or for a really sore spot I have been known to just kind of squirt it on to right were it hurts so that way I am not applying any pressure. Bliss.
Hope that helped.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#4 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 04:47 PM

My midwife showed me how to moisten sanitary pads with witch hazel and then freeze them. Right out of the freezer after a nice warm bath, they were sooooo soothing...

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Did you use cloth pads or disposables or does it matter?
#6 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 04:56 PM

I've heard of using a frozen disposible pad inside a disposible garment like Depends - this makes sense to me. I froze pads last time, but couldn't figure out how to use them without making a giant mess!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 PM

how wet are folks soaking the pads that are going into the freezer? Just witch hazel or witch hazel + h20..?
#8 of 12 Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebee View Post
how wet are folks soaking the pads that are going into the freezer? Just witch hazel or witch hazel + h20..?
Hmm, wondering about this too! Plus I don't know why, but the thought of something cold down there makes me shiver, but everyone raves about it!

Wife to sweet hubby and Mama to ds 11, ds 10, ds 8, ds 7 dd 5, dd 2, and ds 6mo.
#9 of 12 Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 PM

You can also make pads similar to the premoisened ones. Buy some of the all cotton makeup remover pads put them in a ziploc baggie and pour on the witch hazel.
If you have Witch hazel the herb bark boil it up and let steep then add to cloths or a sitzbath,
#10 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post
You can also make pads similar to the premoisened ones. Buy some of the all cotton makeup remover pads put them in a ziploc baggie and pour on the witch hazel.
yep that's what I do and then I chill them in the fridge...after I don't need that much attention I just keep a bottle in the bathroom and moisten some tp paper with it. And I use witch hazel at every bathroom visit. For the whole area down area. At 6 weeks PP I still will occasionally. It's a great skin toner too. And can take the sting out of a mosquito bite as my kids know.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#11 of 12 Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalent Dreams View Post
Did you use cloth pads or disposables or does it matter?
I used unbleached disposables, the extra long kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebee View Post
I just poured it on until most of the pad was saturated, put it in a baggie, and tossed it in the freezer. I had a tear that required stitches and some fairly painful skidmarks and those pads gave me much relief in the first week or so. After that I found I didn't need them anymore.

Also, if you don't have one, get a peri bottle. Way less horrifying than wiping after a birth!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#12 of 12 Old 08-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainthepod View Post

Also, if you don't have one, get a peri bottle. Way less horrifying than wiping after a birth!
yeah that ^^

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page