Doctor refusing to take cerclage out until labor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks, GOPLawyer.

Are you actually a lawyer? I mean, duh, right? Given your screen name...then again, people choose all kinds of screen names. My own comes from the name of the best dog who ever lived--but my name actually isn't Black, and I'm not a dog (well, maybe I am, but only in the *best* sense of that creature )

anyway, thanks, some other lawyers I know might just scold me for 'practicing without a license', hehehe .
#32 of 53 Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Is it possible to convince the dr that you'll go in to get it removed, refuse the epidural, then leave when it's out because you're not in labor? They might be pissed if he booked a room for a c/s, but it's a tricky way around the situation.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#33 of 53 Old 08-07-2010, 09:41 PM

Just wanted to chime in that MGG -- an emergent c/s does not equate to having a uterine scar that is not the normal.

I had an emergent c/s in 2007, and I had a normal incision on the outside and inside..and just had an almost at home VBAC (last minute transfer) in May 2010 of an 11 lbs 1 oz baby...
#34 of 53 Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=khaoskat;15711670]Just wanted to chime in that MGG -- an emergent c/s does not equate to having a uterine scar that is not the normal.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I follow this. I thought a c/s meant cutting into your uterus, therefore you would have a scar.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#35 of 53 Old 08-08-2010, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=mrsberman;15712982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
Just wanted to chime in that MGG -- an emergent c/s does not equate to having a uterine scar that is not the normal.
QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I follow this. I thought a c/s meant cutting into your uterus, therefore you would have a scar.
I think she means having a scar that is in a direction that is not normal. Such as an up and down scar (I am blanking on the names for all of this right now).

I totally don't get MGG's issue. 37 weeks is full term. Is it ideal to get the baby to 40 weeks? Probably. But geez, even my birth center takes women at 37 weeks. As the OP said, her deliveries aren't high risk (outside of the risk of a VBAC, and with the double uterus thing even that risk may not be as "high" as normal, and it's not normally all that risky!), it's her pregnancies that are.

So, really, once she gets to full term I wouldn't even think her pregnancy would fall under the high risk catagory. I wonder if your original dr could take you back at that point.

Basically... if you take out the double uterus part of the equation here is what you have:

A mom with a cerclage. A dr refusing to remove the cerclage and instead demanding that the mom come in for a c-section.

So, assuming that VBACs aren't illegal where you are, the dr is basically forcing you into a c-section against your will. The double uterus thing only factors in to this in YOUR FAVOR since the scar wasn't on that particular uterus.

I think I'd wait until you're 30 days before your due date, and then if he is still refusing to remove it at 37 weeks I'd mention that you are considering contacting the medical board, insurance company, and your lawyer. If you say all this within 30 days he can't fire you as a patient. Though, since you're unable to find another dr anyhow, I'm not sure he could even fire you prior to that.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#36 of 53 Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update on the situation!

I am now nearly 38 weeks pregnant, I still have the cerclage in BECAUSE the Doctor I found that was willing to remove it could not remove it because the original Doctor put the stitch up so high in the cervix he cannot get to it without causing too much pain. Therefore he said he will not be able to remove it until I go into labor....but will then send me home afterwards(he is a homebirth supportive family practitioner) While I am thankful I am very stressed that he couldnt get it out....ugh! Ill keep the thread updated and thank you everyone for all the responses!
#37 of 53 Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this but glad you found a supportive doc. Are you still seeing the doctor that did this to you? What a jerk.
#38 of 53 Old 09-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Hum, that might explain why the original doc said you needed an epidural. Maybe the way he puts in the cerclage, you actually DO need one! Oh, I would be so mad....

I am glad you found someone more supportive to try and take it out. There is no other way for pain relief to get this one out before labor?

I hope things go well for you. And you send the original doctor a letter describing in detail how well things went by not going his route.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#39 of 53 Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 PM

Just wanted to say that I hope you get the birth you want. And I hope the doc can easily get the cerclage out when labor begins.

I wonder if the first doc knew he put it in too high, if it was on purpose, if it was "wrong" and he just did not want to admit it. Or, if he just assumed you were going to do a section, therefore did one that he would normally do for a section patient.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#40 of 53 Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 AM

kidzaplenty- I just went in for my cerclage yesterday, and while talking to the doctor about how it's removed, I was told that there are actually several ways to place a cerclage. It was probably just a different style than she is used to... Though he may have used that kind assuming she'd be getting the cesarean because he thought she should. Mine is placed with a little tab that they'll snip and then just pull it out at 37 weeks. No anesthesia or anything necessary. I think this is the most common kind.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#41 of 53 Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 AM

Aslanswake--

Wow, I'm glad to hear you're still pregnant and all is well in most ways.

Sorry to hear of this little complication with the cerclage...though I hope you are seeing it as a 'little complication'. It's definitely great that you found someone to help you!

But I wonder--won't the removal hurt in any event, and perhaps more in labor? I wonder if your hb-friendly fp could be convinced to remove it in any sooner, now that you are so far along. Are there reasons he feels doing it in labor is best...maybe believing that your cervix will likely be positioned lower at that time and make access to cervix easier? I can see that--though it's also true that sometimes in early labor, a woman's cervix starts out somewhat posterior, and does not come forward until later, more active labor.

In any event, all the best to you--and it's inspiring to know that you have continued to work to find what you need to give yourself/baby the best chance of the birth you most desire
#42 of 53 Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Another update....cerclage removed here at home by my midwife...it hurt but the sucker is out!!! There were at LEAST 30 knots on each end, its a crazy looking thing...I am now nearly 39 weeks which is unbelievable!
I was refused by the "family Doctor" who tried to remove it once and could not, when i called him to get more information about how this would work when I went into labor I got the run around for a week...I was then told that he was not covered under there insurance to do the procedure therefore I was out of luck!
This angered me and my midwife who I think was just as stressed out as I was last week!
She decided to get the damn thing out herself, otherwise I'd end up at the hospital with a c-section.... thankfully she persisted for an hour, and I struggled through it for an hour and we got it!
Hopefully I will be giving birth soon and all this stress will just melt away!
#43 of 53 Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm so happy to read you are still pregnant and the cerclage is out!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#44 of 53 Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Wonderful! I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#45 of 53 Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank goodness!
#46 of 53 Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM

Glad to hear!
#47 of 53 Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Oh my, that is so AWESOME! Way to hang in there, mama!
#48 of 53 Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM

Oh, good for you and your midwife! I'm sorry you had to go through all this drama just to get it out!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#49 of 53 Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM

outstanding! Happy Birthing!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#50 of 53 Old 09-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Yeaa! Good for you & your MW!
#51 of 53 Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 AM

*Fabulous* news!

- Kim
#52 of 53 Old 09-26-2010, 11:27 PM

Just checking in - hoping for an update!

Not all who wander are lost.
#53 of 53 Old 09-30-2010, 03:12 PM

I would also love an update

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page