Yeast infection at 40 weeks preg - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-17-2004, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out today that I have a yeast infection. I don't have any symptoms (no noticeable discharge, no itchies) and I only found out when i asked my mw to do a cervical check at my appointment this morning.

I've searched the forums and read about some remedies: freezing yogurt and inserting vaginally, inserting garlic, cutting out sugar. . .

I've been taking acidophilus caps and garlic tabs for most of this pregnancy, so I'm a little surprised. I've only had one yeast infection in my life, about 15 years ago.

anyway, my question is: what concerns are there for my baby at this point? If I have a yeast infection at birth time, with the baby get it for sure? Any ways to prevent that?

I may x-post this in the "midwives and doulas" forum. Thanks for any input! I'm a little freaked out!

namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-17-2004, 08:46 PM

My midwives have said that its very common and that its normal for women who DONT usually get them (like me) to get them ALL through pregnancy (like I have).

We breifly touched on the risk to the baby and they seem to feel that it's MINIMAL and that it's easily treatable.

BTW, I do the yogurt thing and it always works like a charm, especially in this pregnancy.
#3 of 9 Old 03-17-2004, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks. . I actually got the yogurt thing from one of your older threads

It's also occured to me that I could have gone on never knowing I had this, since I only decided at the last second to have my cervix checked! (curiosity got the better of me : )

namaste.gif

#4 of 9 Old 03-18-2004, 08:27 PM

how are things lookin'??? effaced at all??

As far as the yeast has gone, I'm in the same boat. You can't hardly even tell I have ANY symptoms, but I had my midwives check because I wasn't TOTALLY sure and there is is.....

ergh.:
#5 of 9 Old 03-18-2004, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

yep, 70% effaced, dilated to 1.

I tried the frozen yogurt "finger" last night, and it immediately slid back out! Since I was alllllll the way upstairs, I didn't come back down for another. I was too to do it. tonight, I'll wait until I lie down to insert. I also took extra acidophillus, vitamin C and garlic orally yesterday, so that should help too.

thanks for asking!

namaste.gif

#6 of 9 Old 03-21-2004, 09:02 AM

Jeez, I have had yeast almost nonstop. It's frustrating. How do you freeze the yogurt--in what shape, and how?
I have some great homemade natural yogurt that should work.

thanks--
#7 of 9 Old 03-21-2004, 01:43 PM

Ya know, I don't do the frozen thing. I've had other women tell me thats the way to do it, but how *I* have always done it is this way:

I get a cheapo pack of OTC yeast medicine that has the refillable syringe. Then I just suck it up about half full of yogurt and insert that. Make sure you've got a pantyliner and and youre ready to go to bed RIGHT THEN, because, yes, it's drippy......but it's not that bad. It helps the itchies because some comes out and you can kind of spread it around on your labia and such if you are super itchy on the outside and it's very soothing.

If you want to do the frozen thing, most women suggest buying some latez gloves and filling the fingers with the yogurt then freeze that, then you have little finger shaped inserts.
#8 of 9 Old 03-21-2004, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by anothermama
If you want to do the frozen thing, most women suggest buying some latez gloves and filling the fingers with the yogurt then freeze that, then you have little finger shaped inserts.
This is what I did and it worked great. . .hardly any dripping. btw, this thread is moot! baby girl was born at home today!

namaste.gif

#9 of 9 Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 AM

Wowee congratulations! How exciting! Yaaay!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page