PostPartum Underwear Tips??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody. I've got all my frozen pads ready with my herbal sitz tea on them, but now I'm wondering, what kind of underwear should I use to hold the wet pads in so that they don't leak all over my regular underwear and make me wet all the time? I was thinking about the LUNA PADS underwear, but they are $30 each (?!?). I'm not really into using disposible products like Depends... but I will if that's the only option... Is there a frugal, yet comfortable option that you mamas are aware of? Anything like the Luna panties that are cheaper?

Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Could you use regular underwear and just line them with a couple of pads, or even a small towel?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#3 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
Could you use regular underwear and just line them with a couple of pads, or even a small towel?
As I'm looking around, it seems that using more pads or a pre-fold is going to be the cheapest option. Even the ugly incontinence panties are pricey. I just wanted an option that reduced all the bulk! Maybe I'll have to get crafty and sew something myself....
#4 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 PM

They're horiffically ugly, but the mesh panties I got from my midwife (and the hospital the time I lost our baby) were wonderful. I could rinse them out and reuse them a few times before tossing. They didn't bind, but held pads really well. I quickly went to normal underwear after a day or two, however, because they made me feel much more "normal", iykwim.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#5 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM

The mesh ones are great (hmmmmm, I wonder if they are sold online but I'm leery of googling 'mesh panties'.... hehe). I use premie prefolds as postpartum pads anyway so I would likely just place the ice pad inside that. Premie prefolds work great as postpartum pads and can be bought for, at most, $15 per dozen so it's reasonable to keep a couple dozen on hand.
#6 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 02:52 PM

You can order mesh panties online here:
http://www.inhishands.com/html/orderbirth.html
(scroll down to the OB Pads section)
#7 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM

I always bought a pack of cheapo underwear at Target or something, for $7 bucks I got a huge pack of underwear(like 6 pairs or something). I got granny panty hipsters that were a size bigger than I normally wear. I figured if I leaked on them I'd just throw them away. I HATE those meshy things, sooooooo uncomfy.

Maybe use some fleece or something?

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#8 of 12 Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
You can order mesh panties online here:
http://www.inhishands.com/html/orderbirth.html
(scroll down to the OB Pads section)
Thanks! I'll check that out.
#9 of 12 Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 AM

The best advice my HBMW gave me was to buy a package of depends for the post-partum bleeding! Skip the cloth panties, and buy disposable undergarments! You can add a maxi-pad or two to help with the bleeding, and it also holds the frozen maxis very well.

I LOVED them! So much better than the mesh underwear!
#10 of 12 Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavelamomela View Post
The best advice my HBMW gave me was to buy a package of depends for the post-partum bleeding! Skip the cloth panties, and buy disposable undergarments! You can add a maxi-pad or two to help with the bleeding, and it also holds the frozen maxis very well.

I LOVED them! So much better than the mesh underwear!
Yes, the mesh panties aren't really going to work to hold frozen pads I don't think b/c the mesh ones don't absorb anything. I don't really want a frozen pad+regular cloth pad+mesh panties... I'm thinking if I can't get cheap padded underwear, I'll have to get the Depends type underwear... one package should be enough to hold in the amount of frozen pads or hot compresses I use in the first week or two...hopefully! They're expensive!
#11 of 12 Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLovinMama View Post
Yes, the mesh panties aren't really going to work to hold frozen pads I don't think b/c the mesh ones don't absorb anything. I don't really want a frozen pad+regular cloth pad+mesh panties... I'm thinking if I can't get cheap padded underwear, I'll have to get the Depends type underwear... one package should be enough to hold in the amount of frozen pads or hot compresses I use in the first week or two...hopefully! They're expensive!
One should be enough. I had some left over after the week of wearing them.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#12 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 10:37 PM

Image here

Medela sells a cheap 3-pack of disposable underwear, pretty much like what the hospital gives you, but a few pairs is about right.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page