When Should I Use a Cleaning Service?? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When Should I Use a Cleaning Service?
Before Home-Birth (around 38 weeks) 6 22.22%
After Home-Birth (around 1 week post-partum) 5 18.52%
Once before birth, once after (if $ allows) 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,
I had a wonderful suprise baby shower put on by the lab workers in my husband's lab (he's a grad student) and I recieved a gift certificate for Molly Maid ($100). I'm not sure how many 'sessions' that will get me, but I'm thinking only 1 or 2 if I stick to public rooms...and possibly my bedroom.

My question is: When should I use the cleaning service (1) Pre Home Birth to get ready for having the baby or (2) Post Home Birth so I don't have to do a deep clean for a couple of weeks or so?

My husband will be home AFTER the birth for a couple of months, but not before. I have lower back pain while pregnant and it's getting harder for me to do the mopping, etc.

Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 PM

I voted once before and once after, but depending on how "nesty" you get, you might want a *really* deep clean beforehand (cleaning the top of your cabinets, scouring your baseboards, degunking your window tracks. Yes, I get a little nuts when I'm nesting ) you might use it for one good cleaning beforehand.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
Old 08-16-2010, 07:38 PM

Just before, it would make me more relaxed knowing my house is clean and it is a lot easier to try and keep it clean than to start from scratch. I don't think I would feel comfortable with some stranger comming through my house for a few hours while I'm still trying to figure out when I will have time to get a shower and get dresses before baby wants to eat again.

Although 1 month PP might be wonderful too.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post
I voted once before and once after, but depending on how "nesty" you get, you might want a *really* deep clean beforehand (cleaning the top of your cabinets, scouring your baseboards, degunking your window tracks. Yes, I get a little nuts when I'm nesting ) you might use it for one good cleaning beforehand.
Very good point because I go crazy nesting too...especially this time! I've already re-arranged two rooms in my house and organized closets, washed walls...! So, some of that 'deep cleaning' help might be good
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpayne View Post
Just before, it would make me more relaxed knowing my house is clean and it is a lot easier to try and keep it clean than to start from scratch. I don't think I would feel comfortable with some stranger comming through my house for a few hours while I'm still trying to figure out when I will have time to get a shower and get dresses before baby wants to eat again.

Although 1 month PP might be wonderful too.
I never thought of that...it's true, I'd much rather be out of the house when they come (I think they prefer that too) and that would be so much easier before the birth...
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 PM

I'd also go for one big cleaning before the birth.

Emily: Homebirthin' mama to 3 boys and a girl.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 AM

Now that is one awesome baby shower present! I would go for a month after the baby is born. It's hard keeping up with the housework and a newborn.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 PM

I voted after -- hard to keep up once there is a newborn around. But, if you have help around (family, etc.), let them keep up the house, and then save it until AFTER they leave. That's when you will need it the most.

Unfortunately, Merry Maids are treated horribly by their employers, and do not really clean very well. They will not move anything (i.e., dust under anything, vacuum/sweep under any rugs). They are all about efficiency and don't do a great job. We had them come post-partum for the same reason -- someone gave as a gift for 6 months of cleaning. After a few visits, we found someone else to come do it (an excellent and very sweet cleaner who does it herself, not through a company--she's so great, we couldn't let her go and started paying ourselves).

But, if you can get a deep cleaning done yourself before the birth, then having them come after to do their clean will definitely take the pressure off.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM

I voted after too. With my 2nd we hired a teen girl to come every week and help me clean for the first 2 months. But didn't this time. My teen friend is all grown up and graduated and a busy young woman now.

I agree wait until a little further pp...you'll really start feeling the pinch then. At 6 weeks I wish I had some maids!!

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)

User Tag List