Mothering Forum banner

If your water didn't break the first time, did it break for subsequent births?

4K views 29 replies 30 participants last post by  OkiMom 
#1 ·
My water didn't break when I birthed DS at 38w6d. My bag of waters was bulging for an hour, my MW suggested that if we ruptured the membranes the baby would be born in 10 mins, so I consented. As soon as they broke my water the baby decended and was born after 40 mins of pushing (not quite 10 minutes, but certainly fast enough!)

So I'm just curious...if your water did not break at the onset of labor the first time, did it break for your subsequent births?

#2 ·
My water has only broken prior to pushing phase in one birth, the one with extreme tetanic contractions.

#4 ·
With all three of my kids, my water never broke until pushing. With #1, I let the mw break the bag when I was pushing, #2 came out so fast it never really broke until he was coming out, and #3 it was broken during pushing.

#6 ·
With #1, it broke 15 minutes after contractions started.
#2 was born in the caul.
#3 broke 4 weeks ago (at 28w5d gestation). I'm on complete bedrest for preterm PROM and have not yet had a single contraction.

In my case, at least, there's very clearly no pattern!

#7 ·
#1 water broke during pushing.
#2 was broken for me at 9cm because we were trying to jimmy the baby into a better position.

I guess I really don't expect my water to break this time until pushing, either. But I don't know if there is any science to that assumption.

#10 ·
I had AROM with all three of mine; the first two both at 5 cm, the third when pushing just felt wrong to me with the bag intact. We'll see what happens this time

Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
My water broke 35 hours into my labour with DS1... he was born 12 hours later. It was spontaneous.

My water broke before labour started with #2.

Technically this time it also broke before labour started but it resealed and I'm still pregnant, waiting to see what happens next.

#23 ·
#1 water broke at 9.5cm
#2 water broke during transition, DD was born 1.5 hours later.
#3 water broke at the end of my labor again. was having semi-pushy ctx, water broke, DS2 was born 15 minutes later.

#25 ·
ds1: water was broken by MW to help with pain at 8 cms...it really did make contractions more bearable for me.

ds2: brokem by OB around 8 cms...just 'cause I wanted it, remembering my first.

dd: water broke while pushing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.