Thyroid problems postpartum? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am wondering if anyone else had thyroid problems postpartum. I know there is a "postpartum thyroiditis" but I'm not sure if that's what I have.

It all started when I was almost 3 months postpartum. I am now almost 6 months postpartum. I had an uptake test last week. My endocrinologist said it was thyroiditis and we would keep an eye on it. I'm having both hyper and hypo symptoms. The insomnia is the worst part! I'm hoping this goes away and doesn't stick with me forever. I'm having so many strange symptoms.

Anyone else have this problem?
#2 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM

Yes and no. Both my sister and I started having hypothyroidism after a pregancy (my 1st, her 2nd). But then, hypo runs in our family in a very big way (most relatives of my grandmother, including the men, are on some sort of T4 supplement). I was "diagnosed" with postpartum hypo, but here I am 3 years later still trying to get things under control (well, pregnancy did make it go wonky!).

If I knew now what I did not know then, in your shoes, I would RUN to a naturopath and acupuncturist quick. They can help your body help itself before you start any meds (or have been on them too long).

There are some threads worth reading in Health and Healing.

Good luck!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#3 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM

My thyroid is a little low now. It was great prior to getting pregnant. The first time I had it checked postpartum was at 17 or 18 months and it was low. I've been symptomatic for the whole time. I am refusing to take the drugs just yet and am working with a naturopath who is very optimistic. I haven't had my levels rechecked yet. (my cycle just returned, so I'm waiting a few months to see if that has a positive effect). Hopefully some good advise comes this way, and hope you get yours under control soon.
#4 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 AM

It's very common, especially after 2nd babies, in women who have family history on the mother's side or who have had borderline thyroid levels all along (not that you would have known that since it is not routinely checked).

Postpartum, your progesterone levels plummet from being very very high to rather low. This lack of progesterone, or rather, the change in progesterone inhibits the conversion of T4 hormone to the active T3 hormone. Because it affects the conversion of T4 to T3 and not necessarily the production of T4, you end up with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is tricky to balance. Sometimes hyper, sometimes hypo. Very frustrating.

Selenium is helpful in conversion of T4 to T3. Thyroiditis is technically an autoimmune issue, so stabilizing the immune system is important, too. have your vitamin D levels checked whenever there is a suspicion of autoimmune problems or thyroid problems. Nearly always, Vitamin D levels are low.

Good Luck!

Aimee wife to Matt Mama to Asher (4) and Ari (Due 11/6/10)
#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM

I has dx hypo after I weaned my youngest (2 years pp). I suspect I had the problem for a while before I found out, but my body was going through the shock of going from beign pg/nursing/both to nothing, and I go thrown out of whack.

My dr is hopeful that since it came on pp that I may be able to get off meds someday. I hope so, but i figure it will be a while b/c I will most likely nurse this babe for 2 years like all the others.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Hi, yes....I've had postpartum thyroidits after all three of my babies. I feel both hyper and hypo and have tested for both. I feel I flip back and forth but I know that I start out testing hyper at first and then go hypo for a longer period. First baby, it resolved around a year postpartum, second baby I was still hypo at 2 years post partum but was able to get back to normal shortly after that with help of an ND. As soon as I was normal, I finally was able to get pregnant. Had 2 pregnancies (lost one half way through) and the whole time (3 year period), I was not hyper or hypo at all. I'm at a year postpartum with #3 and haven't had my levels checked recently (well actually I have but have not gotten the results yet) but based on my symptoms, I feel both hyper and hypo depending on the day. The last time I was checked was at about 6 months postpartum and was still hyper at that point.

Any who, I'll try not ramble on and on. I'm here if ever want to talk about it...it's crappy . Thyroiditis is basically autoimmune. I've had my antibodies tested and they were elevated. My ND tested my vit D and my iodine levels and both were low so I'm taking supplements for both but I have never taken any thyroid meds.

I hope that you are feeling better soon!
#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM

I turned hyper after my second pregnancy. Once we figured it out, I started meds and now I feel much better, completely normal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page