Is it a natural birth if you take tylenol in labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my 5th birth about 4 months ago, and it was the worst labor I've had thus far. High pitched screaming with contractions when normally you're playing board games during labor? Not Good.

So, demonstrating the force of mind and determination associated with women having 45 minute long labors, I demanded tylenol from my confused spouse, and he complied. And yes, the tylenol totally helped.

Does this count as "natural" birth or not? A friend was teasing me about how she thought I'd had a natural childbirth but evidently I had lied to her. I technically took pain medication, but "medicated home birth" sounds kind of weird. I don't know what I think, so I figured I'd poll the audience!

Thanks!

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#2 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 PM

lol ummm yes that's still a natural child birth. Cuz I"m betting you still felt all of it!

Seriously someone is debating that with you? I mean really I understand being pro-natural birthing and all but to debate that just seems silly IMO.

I guess I don't understand why we put so much emphasis on HOW our children are born. Yes for me PERSONALLY it matters but to others all that should matter is I have a beautiful and hopefully healthy child, not which orafice they came out of and how much of the pains of labor I felt.

Mama to a zoo!
#3 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM

medicated home birth

imo, tylenol doesn't count. i mean, i think most/a lot of women take tylenol in pregnancy, and they don't call it a medicated pregnancy no but seriously, tylenol is considered safe for pregnancy, isn't it? wheras "labor drugs" are not considered safe for pregnancy. And besides, i think i remember someone(pro-epidural) laughing at me for considering tylenol when preparing for my natural birth.

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#4 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Sweetie! I know these types of comments cut us to the core sometimes even though, logically, we know the truth!

You absolutely had a natural birth!!!! And, yes, I'd call it unmedicated! I wished I'd thought of Tylenol. It may have even been a mental/placebo thing, but aren't many labor techniques?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#5 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Yes. I would totally say you had a 100% natural childbirth. I took tylenol while I was in labor, because I got a headache from screaming. Has your friend ever been through childbirth? Because if she had, it seems like she would toatlly know that there is a huge difference between tylenol and not being able to feel the lower half of your body.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Incidentally, the tylenol was helpful! GO, TEAM TYLENOL!

My friend is just teasing me, but it did leave me to think about whether it constituted "natural" birth according to the theories of whoever comes up with what "natural" birth is. I mean, I could have had a headache during labor and taken tylenol for it and I wouldn't say that that would make it "not a natural birth." But I did specifically take the tylenol because that labor was a and a half, so those contractions from hell WERE the intended target of that analgesic goodness.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#7 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM

According to my MIL, it is traditional in her nation to drink cherry or willow bark teas during labour. Willow bark contains salicylic acid - naturally occuring aspirin.

I am pretty sure if you ask a Native midwife if those labours are natural, she'd darn well say yes, lol. Taking a tylenol, IMO, is no different. Though it probably doesn't taste as nasty as willow bark tea.

Kay
Mama to a wonderful, happy, and delightfully odd little boy who will shortly have a baby sister.
#8 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Honest to God, I'm not being rude or snarky, but what difference does it make? I thought that the whole point of natural birth was to first do no harm to the baby and Tylenol won't hurt him/her so sweet deal...you win!

A fishy pool to birth in isn't "natural" nor are tennis balls for back pressure, but their use aren't arguments against "natural child birth."

I'm really sorry, and no offense is intended, but I really don't get it.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#9 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It really helped? Lol, I can't imagine tylenol doing much! How much did it help anyway?

But yeah I'd still say you had a natural birth. I got told that my birth wasn't natural because I had a water birth and we're land mammals. *eye roll*

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#10 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post
there is a huge difference between tylenol and not being able to feel the lower half of your body.
Exactly!!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#11 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it totally did. I have no idea why, but it helped. And it gave a good jump on afterpains.

#12 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveneverfails View Post
Yes, it totally did. I have no idea why, but it helped. And it gave a good jump on afterpains.
Awesome, and you didn't take a mega dose? Just the standard 2? Lol, sorry for all the questions I just find it fascinating!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#13 of 30 Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 PM

I'm thinking hooray for the placebo effect (or for transition ending) because I think Tylenol totally wouldn't touch my labor pains. Natural birth? Absolutly. My friend had a pit drip during labor, and a numbing shot before her episiotomy, and considers the birth natural because she didn't have an epidural. My last birth isn't natural by Bradley standards because I had fentenol during the manual extraction of the placenta, but I think it's natural because baby came out drug free. So I guess my point is that "natural" is in the eye of the birthing mama, and to H with what other people think. Next time I'm taking Tylenol too!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#14 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 01:51 AM

No way Tylenol would have done anything for my pain. I'm of the view that over the counter drugs, alcohol, even pot doesn't negate a natural birth. It's when heavy duty pharmaceuticals and narcotics come into play--that's when it becomes unnatural.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#15 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lol, Tylenol alone won't even negate hangnail pain for me, so if it worked for you
I doubt that there is a single hospital client who wants a medicated birth would agree that Tylenol fits the bill...
#16 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM

No, technically it is not natural unless you're in a ditch, in a snow storm, having walked uphill both ways and driving pins under your nails just to make sure that you're in enough pain.

Seriously? What's next, are we going to get the third degree because we used acupressure massage or had hot showers? They too bring a little (and I'm emphasizing the little) measure of relief. Tylenol *snort* I was ready to break out some Vodka, I would have felt the pain, but I would have cared a lot less!

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#17 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM

Thanks so much for sharing that info! I would never have thought of it, but I sure know I've assisted some births where something like Tylenol might have made just enough difference to a mama in a lot of pain.

Don't let those who tease you, get to you at all! They're probably just jealous that they didn't think of it. But I bet they will, next time they're in labor!

I'm going to remember this
#18 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

The contractions were still there, but it took off the searing edge to them, which I really really really appreciated.

And my friend who is teasing me is a natural birthing home birthing mom herself who teases me because normally my labors are painless enough that you might actually think I had an epidural. So, me taking tylenol for childbirth confirms my status as a bizarre individual who doesn't normally have painful labors, but have some pain in labor and gee... off to the bottle of tylenol I go! Hearing a bottle of pills rattling now makes me think of my intrapartum tylenol and smile.

And I apologize to people for thinking you were making it up when you said pushing was a relief, because it totally was this time!

#19 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 PM

In a culture where a natural birth is anything short of a c/sec, yes you had a natural birth.
#20 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm a judge on the International Committee of Natural Childbirth, and I say.....

Yes. It was a natural childbirth.

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#21 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Its just Tylenol! The odds of it really doing anything significant are just about the same as the odds of a placebo helping. Totally natural IMO.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#22 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Yeah, "natural" is waaaaay too ambiguous a term to be defined strictly. What "NCB" advocates are for is really what might be called "normal birth," but then that would get folks up in arms about being called "abnormal," and it's a whole big (and pretty much the same) mess. Someone arguing that Tylenol makes a labor "unnatural" or "not natural" sounds like she is caught in the barrel mentality with the rest of the crabs. Either she is some kind of extreme purist or she is trying to justify all the more injurious interventions by equating Tylenol with them. It's not supposed to be a game show with winners and losers, either way.

The bottom line (IMNSHO) is that we should all be "for" drastically decreasing the use of unnecessary interventions and promoting labor coping and birthing techniques that lead to the best outcomes for baby and mother.

Even in my "perfect world," there would be C/S, the use of some drugs, etc.-- even in the case of "maternal choice" or exhaustion when they're not strictly "necessary." However, they would be relatively rare and/or last resorts-- at least performed at a frequency commensurate with their risks.

At some point this gets to be like 9th level veganism-- not eating anything that casts a shadow. The bottom line is not fanaticism, it's improving the health and well-being of women and babies.

Really, this whole focus on pain and who is a "real woman" and who is somehow not... No. That's a smokescreen designed to divide and conquer.

Okay, off my
#23 of 30 Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Wow, I should have come here yesterday when you started this thread...while I was in labor! I always build up to transition-strength contractions before dilating past 2cm, then I'll jump to pushing within an hour.

But can imagine how disheartening it is to hear you're only a 2 while in that much pain?!? Some Tylenol would have been wonderful about that point. I'd never even thought of it. In fact, I'm so dense I never even thought of taking it for afterbirth pains until my husband offered it my last postpartum. What a dork!

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
#24 of 30 Old 09-25-2010, 05:47 PM

I would say you can count it. Tylenol is a far cry from IV medication or an epidural.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#25 of 30 Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM

I took some Advil for labour with ds2 & had a beer with ds3. Don't think they *did* much, bt definitely consider them natural births.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#26 of 30 Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't consider my vaginal birth "natural" for many reasons... it was a prostoglandin gel induction for pre-eclampsia, and I was given gas towards the end - even though, in my labour-land fuzzy-minded state, I didn't suck on the tube thingy properly because it made me "feel funny", so it turned out I was using it totally ineffectively and didn't get any actual pain relief from it.

However, it never occurred to me to not think it was natural because of the Panadol I took during early labour, or the hot wheatie bags I used throughout, or DH's massaging my legs and back during contractions. That's not to say Panadol (NZ equivalent of Tylenol) is natural - it's a drug, obviously a birth including it is less natural than one without): it just didn't even register on my radar.

Oh well. I think getting hung up on the "natural birth" terminology is divisive and depressing anyway. The "natural" course in my pregnancy would have been to go into a coma and die, so, yay. I did have an amusing incident several months ago, however, when a nurse asked me during a cervical smear if I'd had a natural birth. I started waffling on about the prostoglandin gel and how I didn't have an epidural and so on, before it finally crossed my mind she meant "C-section vs vaginal".

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#27 of 30 Old 09-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Yes, still natural. Tylenol is an everyday drug for some people. This is not even in the same category as "drugs to relieve the pain of birth" drugs.

I had some Tylenol after my natural births. I had some bad after pains each time.
#28 of 30 Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 PM

I hate that this turns into a contest- OMG I didn't drink filtered water in labor, my birth wasn't natural! Or something. Not that *this* thread is like that, but I hate it when it turns into one. Yes, I consider taking tylenol to still = natural childbirth, personally. But really, who cares what we think, as it's your birth and what we think shouldn't matter. But then again, I consider my half doses of nubain early in labor with two of my births to still have been natural. And no, they didn't help a bit. They did make me nauseous, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#29 of 30 Old 09-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Where I live, "natural" childbirth seems to be synonymous to "vaginal" childbirth, since the only way I've heard it used is "Did you have a natural birth or c-section?" And I always say, "VAGINAL"

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#30 of 30 Old 09-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I hate that this turns into a contest- OMG I didn't drink filtered water in labor, my birth wasn't natural!
filters aren't natural!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I vote it's still natural. I used hypnobabies... is that natural? I'd do it again in a heartbeat, either way.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page