C-sec and anterior placenta? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am facing a potential c-section at 37 weeks due to a complete previa. I will rescan as many times as I can before going under the knife.

However, it occurred to me that there might be a risk to the baby with an anterior placenta and complete previa. With the placenta in the front and so low, I'm assuming they will need to cut through it to get to the baby. Could this cut off her blood supply and affect her health??

FWIW, she is healthy and a good weight. Everything is perfect except for the stupid placental placement

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#2 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM

I did not have previa but I did have an anterior placenta and a c-section. They did go in a bit higher but the kiddo was fine.
#3 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 PM

Why do they want to cut at 37 weeks?! That's incredibly early, and risky to the baby. If I were in your situation, I would refuse a cesarean until I went into labor naturally, or at least wait until 40 weeks. I understand there could be bleeding once you start dilating, but unless you live hours from the hospital, they can get the baby out very quickly once labor or early labor signs begin.
#4 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

37 weeks seems to be the normal for previa. "WHY?" is a very good question. I know that hemorrhaging can happen VERY fast with previa, but I haven't quite gotten that far in my research.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#5 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 11:54 AM

Karen, they want to do a c-section prior to any dilation that may occur. At "term" your body is more likely to randomly dilate and open up to risks of bleeds with a previa if you go beyond the 37 weeks, and your right those bleeds can happen very fast.

Yes they will most likely cut through placenta, but from the time the make incision onto the uterus and reach in and grab baby is only a few seconds.

But for those posting about why its too risky to have an early c-section need to look into previa and what not before posting. Because its FAR more risky to both you and baby to wait beyond 37 weeks. Also... I'm sure you know.. but no manual cervical checks are allowed with a previa. For the same reason... can cause a bleed.

Mama to a zoo!
#6 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnquia View Post

But for those posting about why its too risky to have an early c-section need to look into previa and what not before posting. Because its FAR more risky to both you and baby to wait beyond 37 weeks. Also... I'm sure you know.. but no manual cervical checks are allowed with a previa. For the same reason... can cause a bleed.
Thank you for saying this! I was feeling a bit battered yesterday...I only have one previous full-term pregnancy, and DS ended up being induced at 38 weeks. When I went in for the induction, I was already 2cm dilated. So, if placenta hasn't "moved" out of the way, then I do want the c/s before then to mitigate any risk of hemorrhage.

And I admit to not being upset at all about no cervical checks

#7 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendemolena View Post
Why do they want to cut at 37 weeks?! That's incredibly early, and risky to the baby. If I were in your situation, I would refuse a cesarean until I went into labor naturally, or at least wait until 40 weeks. I understand there could be bleeding once you start dilating, but unless you live hours from the hospital, they can get the baby out very quickly once labor or early labor signs begin.
Honestly, many previa patients don't make it to term. Either the previa resolves (a lovely thought - and then you aren't a previa patient anymore, which would be awesome), or they have dramatic bleeds at some point. I think it's something like 2/3 develop unstable hemorrhage prior to term.

Dilation with previa is very dangerous. Bleeding isn't a possibility, it's a certainty, and hemorrhage can sometimes be fatal to the baby within minutes. Many previa patients wind up hospitalized late in pregnancy, not because their condition is acutely bad, but because their doctors want them to be as close to the OR as possible if and when the bleeding starts.
#8 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM

Yup exactly what Meepy is saying.

I was going to post many are born prior to 37 weeks, but wasn't sure on exact numbers so I didn't. But 37 weeks for a previa, especially a complete one seems like an awesome plan!

Make sure your taking it easy mama!

Mama to a zoo!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page