C/S recovery & support thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 319 Old 05-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I envy a lot of the women on this thread.  It's been over 10 months and I nowhere near being at peace with my c/s and fear I never will be.  Please don't anyone think my language here is meant to apply to them, but I have to be honest and say how I feel about myself.  My membranes ruptured and after over 50 hours of trying everything I never went into labor and was sent from my birth center to the hospital, where the thing happened.  And I absolutely felt and feel like a failure--a lemon, a dud.  Also, my only language for the operation has be words like butchered, gutted, eviscerated.  And I hate my scar more than anything.  I hate knowing I'll have to look at it for the rest of my life and never forget what happened that day.  It's like a slave brand to me, because I am a slave to the memory.  And yes, I have seen a psychologist about this.  Two, in fact.  I am hoping and praying that in a year or so I'll get to experience an HBAC.  If I don't, I don't know what it will do to me.  Well, that's the ugly truth.

#302 of 319 Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arete View Post

I envy a lot of the women on this thread.  It's been over 10 months and I nowhere near being at peace with my c/s and fear I never will be. 

I am sorry you are having a hard time. I just want to say that 10 months out from my c-section, I was no where near being at peace with my c-section and was in fact consumed with processing my experience. In my experience, the first year--and getting through DD's first birthday--was the hardest. The second year was less intense. The third year is better still. Time really does help. You may never be totally "at peace" with the experience, but it will likely get easier to cope. We human beings are resilient creatures.

Hang in there, mama, and post here for support whenever you want. We are in many stages of healing and we can help each other.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#303 of 319 Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 AM

Thank you! I hope you're right! I go back and forth between thinking "bring it on, I can do this thing," and feeling pretty anxious about all the things that could send me to the hospital for the third c/s. I am doing what I can to create optimal conditions -- the rest is a dice roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmama1984 View Post

Hi, Mrs. B! I am new here too, but just wanted to say ITA! This is such a wonderful thread! And best wishes on your HBA2C! You are going to have a fabulous birth love.gif

I want to reiterate CI Mama's point about the passage of time. I have had two very unwanted c/s. With my first c/s, I did not do any real mental/emotional healing and I got pg again 13 months afterward. With my second c/s, I was in a terrible mental place for something on the order of 2 1/2 years before I really was able to start putting the pieces back together again. I had my first awful birth experience in March 2006, my second in January of 2008, and I did not experience any real healing or feeling better about things until the summer of 2010. It can be a long process.

It may take time, but you can do it, Arete. It will get easier. I am so sorry that things are so difficult right now. hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI Mama View Post

I am sorry you are having a hard time. I just want to say that 10 months out from my c-section, I was no where near being at peace with my c-section and was in fact consumed with processing my experience. In my experience, the first year--and getting through DD's first birthday--was the hardest. The second year was less intense. The third year is better still. Time really does help. You may never be totally "at peace" with the experience, but it will likely get easier to cope. We human beings are resilient creatures.

Hang in there, mama, and post here for support whenever you want. We are in many stages of healing and we can help each other.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#304 of 319 Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CI Mama View Post

It's funny how language affects each of us differently. I haven't been able to bring myself to say "I gave birth to my daughter." I don't have trouble calling her birth a birth, or saying that she was born. But just the "I gave birth" thing...I can't quite do it. I guess it's just a vestige of my shame about the whole thing, but I feel like I didn't give birth to her, the surgeons did. At any rate, it is helpful for me to hear other mamas who have had c-sections say "I gave birth"...a reminder to me that I can think of myself as a mama who gave birth if I choose to. And I'm working towards being comfortable with that.

I also totally respect mamas who have other language that they use to describe their experiences. For many of us, so many choices were taken away, at the very least we can choose for ourselves the words in which we tell our stories.

I too struggle with saying "I gave birth" because I didn't. I mean I did, but I didn't, you know?  I feel like my one job was to get her into the world peacefully, without injury or trauma, and I failed my very first job as a mom.  But I'm slowly moving past it. She doesn't hold it against me, so why should I...  Of course when others say "I gave birth" meaning via section I don't think twice about it.  Just my personal hang up. 

Quote:

I just wanted to tell you that I have seen so many of your posts around here (on Mothering), Storm Bride, and I am always so impressed with you. I never could really find the appropriate time or place to say it, but it seems it is here. CI Mama said exactly how I felt, so I just quoted her, even though I wish I had my own words for you...I just don't think I could have said it better. You are such a light to so many, and I am sure there are others, like me, who feel the same way, but struggle with the words or timing to tell you so.  You are an amazing human being. hug2.gif

Absolutely.  Storm Bride, I have a lot of respect for you too. 

#305 of 319 Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post

Which is where the problem lies...(I shall read though this thread in all good time - so I hope to find others who feel like me...I can't be the only one and DH doesn't understand)...I want to be done.  I want our family to be complete.  I want this to be it.  I want it just us and our two boys.  I want to grow up and move on.  But I do not feel done and I do not feel complete.  I NEED a vaginal birth.  So much it feels like such great heartache.  I really do need it.  Sometimes I think I can live without it...but then I realise that one day I will be a mother-in-law and one day I will be a Grandmother...and I can't do it...I can't bear the though of it...I can't face that part of my life not having had a vaginal birth.  So right now, in 4-5 years time we will be trying again...  Sometimes people ask me what I will do if, again, I 'need' another seciton (for whatever reason) and I can't bear the thought of it. 

I feel very strongly about natural birth and it kills me that mine went awry - I feel a bit like a hypocrite though I know I am not.  I also just wish that DH could understand. 

I have noticed one (positive/good?) change though.  After DS1, I felt a lot of anger and resentment towards others - even him for a little bit...but after DS2, I feel more anger and resentment towards myself. 

It is still hard though - because I still find it hard to be around other pregnant woman and I still find it hard to be around other woman who have had a vaginal birth.  I find it very hard to listen to other peoples vaginal birth stories and can not watch anything related to that.  Why not me?  is all that continously runs through my head.  A vaginal birth is really all I fantasis about - is that sad or what? 

I feel like I can never heal from this - and that the only 'cure' is a vaginal birth.  I did even consider being a host surrogate (get the vaginal birth - without doing the baby thing again! haha) - but then I realised that whilst I could most deff be happy to be a host surrogate - I can't until I have had a vaginal birth OR that baby would mean too much to me and I couldn't risk that.  I wouldn't feel that way if I had already had a vaginal birth (being a surrogate is something I have always thought of doing anyhow because I love pregnancy so much and after suffering infertility - for whatever reason - as we have - I would love to be able to give a family something they too struggle for - something I know would mean the world to them - but not until I had had my own vaginal birth). 

So theres my nut in a nut shell!

This post has stayed with me for a while.

It took some figuring out why, and I think it's because of seeing the only healing being through a vaginal birth. I seriously think that that is what messed me up this failed VBAC. I kept hearing others saying how 'healing' a VBAC was, how it was the only way for them to process their c/s, that somehow, in my mind, it felt like there was no way to heal without having a vaginal birth.

And then, I didn't have a vaginal birth. So all of my emotions of my first c/s came crashing through, on top of which all the emotions of a second c/s and feeling like a 'failure' were stacked. No wonder I had such a hard time with it. I really feel it's a disservice to all the women who've had c/s and had emotional issues with it that the only way to heal is through a successful VBAC. It's damaging. In a way, it's telling a rape victim that until she can experience happy, fulfilling safe & wanted sex, she will never heal. That's just not true.

For me, if I had the ability to choose, would choose vaginal birth. However, I feel like I've come to a point in my journey where if I never have a successful VBAC, I will be  okay with it. I ask myself if I want another child. And right now, in a few years (because I am so not having 2 in diapers!!!) I think I will want another child. Not because of the birth and potential to VBAC, but because I love my babies and feel like another little one would be right for me. I'm still working through a way to be completely okay with a c/s. I'm not sure if I will try for a VBA2C. My last 2 births have been long and painful. This last one broke me mentally. I'm not sure if I can put myself through another.

And the last thing I want to have happen is for me to put so much weight on a successful VBAC on myself that if I don't get it, it will put me through a loop. For some reason, I was not able to birth my 2 living babies vaginally. Maybe it's me grasping for straws, but there has to be a reason behind it. Had I not had a c/s with S, I wouldn't have waited so long to conceive E. Maybe God wants me to space them out more? Maybe my future child(ren) are not ready to be born sooner?

I know I might have gone off the deep end here, but I felt like I had to address your post, Ann. I feel like those of us who have had c/s need to process it without pinning our hopes on a 'good' birth, aka vaginal. And things can go wrong during vaginal birth. I feel like with E, perhaps I could have birthed him vaginally. But with his heart rate, I don't think I would have gotten a living baby. I have to remind myself that even people who VBAC, some of them don't view it as a 'success' due to other bad things (like dystocia, hemmoraghe, etc) happening during it. Reminding myself that birth is unpredictable and out of my hands is something I'm starting to really internalize and accept. I don't know why I've blathered on so long, but I hope I'm making sense. hug2.gif

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#306 of 319 Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

To be honest, my second C/S helped me heal from my first, even though it was really scary and emergent. My first C/S was bullied and coerced and I feel totally unnecessary. I had a horrible reaction to the pain meds and was puking the whole day. With DD, I labored and pushed at home, then transfered to the hospital via ambulance for a C/S under general because DD was single-footling breech. I know for a fact that her C/S was 100% necessary and I didn't spend the whole day puking. Plus my postpartum nurses rocked. I am definitely disappointed, but I'm not bitter like I was after DS's C-section.

Everybody has their own path to healing. You just have to find it.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#307 of 319 Old 06-18-2011, 08:42 AM

Minka, I relate so much to your post. My second cesarean was such an amazingly healing and transformative experience. I got to make decisions about my own healthcare--I felt like an active participant in my care whereas I didn't feel that way with my first. The hospital staff when we transported was so supportive and kind. I was able to breastfeed. Just everything about my experience was totally different and totally amazing. I had a great cesarean birth, which I didn't thin was possible.

At the same time, I really relate to Ann_of_loxley. I really can't imagine living in a world where I'll never have a vaginal birth. It may be my reality one day, but it is hard for me to imagine it. There is a huge part of me that feels a great need to birth a child vaginally. It's not because I think it will "heal" me in any way. I don't really feel like I need healing. Sometimes I wish I were just "normal" and not have this strong desire to birth my children a certain way. At the same time, this journey has literally changed my life--I've met some really amazing people I wouldn't otherwise have in my life but for my cesareans and my desire for a vbac. I'm so grateful for that.

Sometimes I do wonder if having a vaginal birth one day will help with the "sting" of some comments, know what I mean? I am pretty sensitive to some of these things. I even got my feelings hurt when we were supposed to discuss empowering CBAC during our last ICAN meeting, but didn't because we had some new people there. I am sure I wouldn't have cared if I had a vbac, and I understood why we chose not to discuss it, but it still hurt a little. I wonder if it still would if/when I get my vbac.

#308 of 319 Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 AM

I am pretty OK with my c/s these days.

I was really really hoping to have a vaginal birth, and I do wonder if there were things that could have been done differently that would have not led to c/s, but, I just don't think about it much anymore, I realized I needed to just let it go.  I am really enjoying having my baby and honestly, how she was born seems pretty irrelevant to me these days.

I don't want it to sound like I am saying those that are still struggling to process their c/s are wrong, everyone's feelings are personal and valid, but I think I can say that I feel OK about it now. I think I will try for a VBAC for next baby if things look like they are going to work out, but, I know that I might have to have another c/s, and that's OK by me too, even if I want to experience vaginal birth.

#309 of 319 Old 06-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:

At the same time, I really relate to Ann_of_loxley. I really can't imagine living in a world where I'll never have a vaginal birth. It may be my reality one day, but it is hard for me to imagine it. There is a huge part of me that feels a great need to birth a child vaginally. It's not because I think it will "heal" me in any way. I don't really feel like I need healing. Sometimes I wish I were just "normal" and not have this strong desire to birth my children a certain way. At the same time, this journey has literally changed my life--I've met some really amazing people I wouldn't otherwise have in my life but for my cesareans and my desire for a vbac. I'm so grateful for that.

I really hear you on the bolded. i still have trouble accepting it, and I had my tubes tied almost two years ago.

However, for me, it's not even about giving birth in a certain way. It's about giving birth. I can't (and wouldn't!) take away anyone else's feeling that they gave birth by cesarean, but I simply don't feel that way, or see it that way. I really wanted to have my own children (not adopted) and give birth to those children. I managed - after a long, long time - the first, but I'll never have the second. And, for me, a c-section simply isn't giving birth.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#310 of 319 Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Lisa, I really hear you and understand what you're saying. While, for me, a cesarean is giving birth, I completely sympathize with this point of view. Being able to see it from your POV, I think I can really relate to you. I sometimes wonder if my feelings on this might evolve once we are done having children and if I don't have a vaginal birth. Right now I don't think they would, but I can't be sure. I'm sure that, no matter how wonderful my births were (and my second one was), I would always mourn, in some ways, not having a vaginal birth.

#311 of 319 Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM

I love this thread. My first birth was in 2004. It was a hospital birth at 39 weeks. I was told because of my small size i would not be able to deliver without meds. I said watch me. 3 pushes, no meds 8 lb baby boy. So why couldn't I do it again?

The day before my oldest sons 2nd birthday at 25 weeks 1 day I began pouring blood in the middle of the mall. Alone with my small son. I called my father who rushed me to the hospital, where I was stabalized. Irritable uterus I was told but I was kept in the hospital on bed rest. The evening of the 5th day, I got out of bed to use the washroom and more blood. It was decided I would be airlifted to a larger hospital, with a larger NICU, 5 hrs away. My husband (we have since split up) decided he would drive up in a few days if anything happened and he left the hospital. The air ambulance was late. My parents left to drive to the city to meet me there. My water broke and I hemmoraged. My nurse ( I love that woman) called my parents and husband and got them back to the hospital as I was being wheeled into surgery.(The hemmoraging happened in a matter of about 5 mins after my parents left) The nurse told them she wanted them there to say goodbye, at this point they weren't sure I would make it. My husband was told to go with the nurse to  wash up and she would bring him in when he was ready. He said no.

So, I got my spinal , I told the anethisiologist that if my son wasn't going to live I wanted to be awake for his birth. He was amazing. Very gentle, very kind. He turned out to be the only kind person in the OR. He held my hand the whole surgery, tried to joke with me. I love him to :) I will never forget being tied to the bed, not able to see my baby. The sound of the staples going into my body. The docs rushing around to save my babys life. There were 16 people in the room. He was the only one who spoke to me. Until the surgeon came to the head of the bed. Her words to me were " well you should be ok. that baby is tiny I don't think he will make it. Oh and i messed up the incision so you can't have any more kids."   She then walked out of the OR.

My son is 4.5 now and amazing. He was 1 lb 14 oz. He is 35lbs, a little tiny but fine. Smart, healthy, ACTIVE.  Amazing little boy. To look at both my boys noone would ever know that their births were so differant. But I know and it hurts. But everything happens for a reason.

The surgeon who operated on me is no longer allowed to practice medicane. Her mistakes were huge. Because of my experience noone else will have to go through it with her. And the air ambulance being late? I was told after the fact, when the baby was stable and I was stable, that if it had been on time neither of us would have survived. We could not have been saved if it had been there when it was supposed to be there.

So, I struggle more with my c/s more because of how it went down, I know it had to happen, im angry at my body, but im more angry at the surgeon and my exhusband. It still sucks but gets easier.

ETA wow i think thats the first time i typed all that out. very theraputic.

#312 of 319 Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Big, big hugs to you, Zan&Zav. Thank you for sharing your story. hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan&Zav View Post

I love this thread. My first birth was in 2004. It was a hospital birth at 39 weeks. I was told because of my small size i would not be able to deliver without meds. I said watch me. 3 pushes, no meds 8 lb baby boy. So why couldn't I do it again?

The day before my oldest sons 2nd birthday at 25 weeks 1 day I began pouring blood in the middle of the mall. Alone with my small son. I called my father who rushed me to the hospital, where I was stabalized. Irritable uterus I was told but I was kept in the hospital on bed rest. The evening of the 5th day, I got out of bed to use the washroom and more blood. It was decided I would be airlifted to a larger hospital, with a larger NICU, 5 hrs away. My husband (we have since split up) decided he would drive up in a few days if anything happened and he left the hospital. The air ambulance was late. My parents left to drive to the city to meet me there. My water broke and I hemmoraged. My nurse ( I love that woman) called my parents and husband and got them back to the hospital as I was being wheeled into surgery.(The hemmoraging happened in a matter of about 5 mins after my parents left) The nurse told them she wanted them there to say goodbye, at this point they weren't sure I would make it. My husband was told to go with the nurse to  wash up and she would bring him in when he was ready. He said no.

So, I got my spinal , I told the anethisiologist that if my son wasn't going to live I wanted to be awake for his birth. He was amazing. Very gentle, very kind. He turned out to be the only kind person in the OR. He held my hand the whole surgery, tried to joke with me. I love him to :) I will never forget being tied to the bed, not able to see my baby. The sound of the staples going into my body. The docs rushing around to save my babys life. There were 16 people in the room. He was the only one who spoke to me. Until the surgeon came to the head of the bed. Her words to me were " well you should be ok. that baby is tiny I don't think he will make it. Oh and i messed up the incision so you can't have any more kids."   She then walked out of the OR.

My son is 4.5 now and amazing. He was 1 lb 14 oz. He is 35lbs, a little tiny but fine. Smart, healthy, ACTIVE.  Amazing little boy. To look at both my boys noone would ever know that their births were so differant. But I know and it hurts. But everything happens for a reason.

The surgeon who operated on me is no longer allowed to practice medicane. Her mistakes were huge. Because of my experience noone else will have to go through it with her. And the air ambulance being late? I was told after the fact, when the baby was stable and I was stable, that if it had been on time neither of us would have survived. We could not have been saved if it had been there when it was supposed to be there.

So, I struggle more with my c/s more because of how it went down, I know it had to happen, im angry at my body, but im more angry at the surgeon and my exhusband. It still sucks but gets easier.

ETA wow i think thats the first time i typed all that out. very theraputic.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#313 of 319 Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Zan & Zav- wow, that is really intense. I am sorry you had to go through that. It is so great that your baby turned out to be well, and I am sorry you had to suffer all of that.

I am wondering about how people feel their body has changed from having a c section? I am feeling kind of down about my body changes right now. I had my c section 15 months ago. I just feel all out of whack! I thought I was okay, and I know I can get to a much better place than I am now. but before it, I used to do a lot of yoga and I felt pretty great in my body. I did yoga regularly for about 8 yrs or so prior to giving birth. Anyway, I ahve done maybe 2 yoga classes since my c section. Partially cause it is hard to find the time to do it now with the baby and I would rather sleep in on the weekend mornings when dh is home and in the evenings by the time he gets home I am not so motivated. but also cause my body just feels messed up. I feel really out of balance and that I am lacking core strength. My back is like stuck on kind of a bad position. Partially from the c section, partially probably from pregnancy, and then from carrying ds all the time and never giving the body a chance to heal up I guess.

I am finally going back to my chiropractor next week so I hope to see her once a week. the yoga class I did do felt good but oh man I was so weak! I did a beginner class with a teracher I have done classes with for yrs and I could barely get through it! I used to breeze through his intermedietes a couple times a week.

I am hoping that yoga and chiropractics ( I have a great gentle chiropractor) can help me regain some of my strength and ease and happy body. but I feel all weak right now and sore. And sort of bummed about it!

has anyone here who has had a c section gotten their core strength and a balnced body back? Or is it just an inherent loss?

#314 of 319 Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

I am hoping that yoga and chiropractics ( I have a great gentle chiropractor) can help me regain some of my strength and ease and happy body. but I feel all weak right now and sore. And sort of bummed about it!

has anyone here who has had a c section gotten their core strength and a balnced body back? Or is it just an inherent loss?

I've never been thin, and I haven't/didn't lose all the baby weight, but after having my first c/s, I gained back my core strength by about 1 year post-partum. Currently on my way there right now, only 9mos pp.

ETA: I'm not talking out of my bottom here either. I signed up with a personal trainer 20 some odd months after my first c/s and as a part of calibrating my fitness, he made me do a plank. I'm a chunky gal. He was AMAZED at how long I could hold it. In fact, he told me to stop so he could move on to other exercises. mischievous.gif

For the core strength, I found babywearing to be really helpful. It's always challenging to the body because baby is putting on weight and getting squirmier. lol A lot of walking while babywearing, or holding the baby a lot around the house, squatting to pick them up, etc.

As for the balanced body--I think that's more easily attained when the kiddos are older. It wasn't until older ds was 2 that I finally was able to start running again and really dedicating the time and energy to losing weight and fitness. Of course, once that was well underway, I got knocked up with younger ds. lol.gif

It takes a woman's body 1 year to fully heal from pregnancy and birth. Add in sleep deprivation, and I'd add many more months to that estimate. Are you still nursing a lot? I found that once the nursing tapered off, my body was able to use more energy towards repair/rebuilding as well.

To summarize this loooooong post, yes you can get your body back. Other than core strength, the c/s doesn't impact the rest of your fitness ability. And core strength is compromised in pregnancy anyways. So even the 'extra' hit isn't that far outside the normal range. Childbearing takes a lot out of the body, and while a c/s does have some impact, I think the majority is just normal pregnancy/nursing/hormones/caring for an infant stuff.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#315 of 319 Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 PM

JTA mom thanks for the encouragement! It helps a lot! I thought about it after I posted this and realized it was one of those posts where I was having a down moment and needed to find reassurance- so for balance I will just ad that I don't always feel too badly!  I do feel weaker in my core for sure and out of balance but I think I am finally catching my breath with this mothering thing enough that I may be able to start weekly yoga class and weekly chiropactor- and hopefully those things will help a lot, they were things that I did pre baby.

#316 of 319 Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

To summarize this loooooong post, yes you can get your body back. Other than core strength, the c/s doesn't impact the rest of your fitness ability. And core strength is compromised in pregnancy anyways. So even the 'extra' hit isn't that far outside the normal range. Childbearing takes a lot out of the body, and while a c/s does have some impact, I think the majority is just normal pregnancy/nursing/hormones/caring for an infant stuff.

Ami

yeahthat.gif

My c-section was 33+ months ago, and I am finally starting to feel really good! But boy, has it been a long haul. In my case, I think being an "old" mom is a big factor (I was 38 when DD was born), plus the sleep deprivation (insane), plus working full-time and so having so little time for myself. My saving grace has been commuting by bicycle. It forces me to exercise vigorously every day, and that has made a critical difference in terms of losing weight and feeling stronger.

Don't give up on your body! We humans are remarkably resilient. If you have the time and resources to get chiropractic care & take yoga classes, you will definitely feel a difference in your body.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#317 of 319 Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Snapdragon: My core is shot right now. I feel as though I'm never going to get it back. However, I have nerve damage from my third c-section, and it affects everything I try to do, physically, for my core. I also have a pretty bad diastasis (about 7-8 fingers), and one of the things affected by the nerve damage is my ability to do the Tupler technique exercises. So, there are big challenges. I'm trying to remind myself that I'm still only two years out from my last section, and am busy with the kids.

However, after my first, my body felt mostly normal, and I had most of my core back, within about a year. After dd1, I don't think it even took that long. IME, the bounce back varies a lot, and depends on many factors (I suspect age and body weight play a part, as do number of section, unusual circumstances such as the nerve damage...even how much you have to do at home, and how often you can work on it). I also suspect, from my own experiences this time around, that mental state plays a part. For many reasons, I've had a lot of trouble being persistent this time around. If I do some yoga, and it feels wrong (and it always does), I'm much more inclined than I previously was to just say, "screw this - I can't do yoga", because it's so upsetting to me.. I know I need to persist, but it's hard. So, even though it's been two years, I probably haven't made more than about two weeks of progress, because I keep giving up!

Hang in there. I don't believe you're going to be permanently messed up.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#318 of 319 Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM

thanks guys! It really does help so much that so many other women have gone through this and end up okay :)

#319 of 319 Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Z&Z, I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  And thanks for sharing your story, I know it is so hard.  I haven't posted my birth story yet, although it wasn't as bad as yours.  I've typed it a couple of times...DD is nearly 2.5 so its probably time to post it.

Thank you for sharing. Lots of healing hugs coming your way...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page