How many Kegels are enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-22-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how many Kegels other mamas are trying to do and how it's helping. After dd1 (vag homebirth, unsutured 1st deg tear) I didn't do much and my pelvic floor seemed fine. After ds (now 3 mos old, vag homebirth, NO TEAR!) I feel wide open even though I'm doing Kegels. Maybe I just need to do more? Love some input!
#2 of 13 Old 03-22-2004, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
100/day minimum. During pregnancy it should increase in either number or degree of difficulty. Same when you are trying to rehabilitate muscles.
#3 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 03:04 AM

I'm not sure, but do plenty! Especially during pregnancy.

When I was pregnant with ds, I tried doing kegels but wasn't very faithful about it and when I tried again in late pregnancy, I simply could not do them. After a long labor, I ended up with a mild rectocele (sp?) where a bit of the rectum protrudes through a muscle separation into the vagina. If anyone had told me that not doing enough kegels could result in my having to put my fingers in my vagina and push the prolapsed rectum into place to have a bm, I would have done more!!

Apparently the solutions are live with it; do kegels; get a prosthesis to put in your vagina or surgery. Since mine is mild, I'm living with it and doing kegels whenever I think of them! The same thing can happen with the bladder as well. My midwife said she had both and eventually had them surgically repaired.

Kegel, kegel, kegel!!

Best,
Sarah
#4 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sarahwebb After a long labor, I ended up with a mild rectocele (sp?) where a bit of the rectum protrudes through a muscle separation into the vagina.
As I understand the anatomy, the posterior portion of the vagina is the other side of the rectum, with no muscle in between these two parts, but rather, they are shared tissue.

I mention this only because to me, it sounds scary to think of a change in anatomy serious enough to result in muscle separation and then prolapse, rather than the idea I understand rectocele to be, which is just a bit of slouchiness to the posterior portion of the vagina, which is also the same rectum bit, since they're neighbors and share that wall.

babyluvr, I'm in a similar situation--no probs after #1, but WHOAH, after #2, things are pretty slouchy. Pregnancy is tough on the pelvic floor...especially if you were LIFTING baby #1 at all while you were pregnant! And going up stairs/vacuuming, which are things that increase intra-abdominal pressure, cause stress on the pelvic floor, which is an un-Kegel, if ya think about it.

Kegel properly, by squeezing your pc muscles (not yer buttcheeks) and relax between kegels. Sit down and relax, because when you're on your feet (as you are with two babies!) all that weight of your organs and body are resting on: your weakened pelvic floor! So get it nice and strong before you stress it out with extra stairs or vacuuming, and be patient...it takes a while for your muscles to get nice and strong to overcome any ligament damage that may have happened during pregnancy.

HTH
#5 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Excellent point tiny shoes... not to mention the American obsession with a flat stomach. All those sit ups, crunches, etc... that is counter pressure pushing your insides in and down. You need to have a strong muscle at the bottom too or hello incontinence!
#6 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 02:57 PM

This is so interesting! So my refusal to do sit-ups and be on my feet all day long has protected my pelvic floor? I love it! :LOL

Seriously, though, the amount of kegels it is necessary to do really depends on genetics, type and degree of physical activity, how your births were managed, and whether or not you just normally flex those muscles without thinking about it. It certainly can't hurt to do 100 kegels a day, but on the other hand it's not always necessary to go the trouble, either.
#7 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tinyshoes
As I understand the anatomy, the posterior portion of the vagina is the other side of the rectum, with no muscle in between these two parts, but rather, they are shared tissue.
I could be mistaken although I'm pretty sure I read about muscle involvement. I'll ask my midwife again to be sure. I am sure that it varies in severity and can lead to bowel incontinence.

I'm participating in a fit pregnancy program at the gym supervised by an exercise physiologist who specializes in pregnancy fitness. Both she and my midwife strongly advise laying off of the ab exercises during pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally posted by blueviolet
It certainly can't hurt to do 100 kegels a day, but on the other hand it's not always necessary to go the trouble, either.
Yeah, but wouldn't you hate to be one who needed to go to the trouble and didn't? I sure do...and how would you know before the fact?

Best,
Sarah
#8 of 13 Old 03-23-2004, 09:37 PM

This is so timely, because I just can't seem to remember to do those kegels lately......it must be the preggo brain. Anyway, thanks for the reminder of the importance of kegels.
#9 of 13 Old 03-25-2004, 03:40 PM

So how many of us were doing kegels as we read this?
#10 of 13 Old 03-25-2004, 04:32 PM

me, me.!! I've slacked thru this pg to do my kegels, but am doing them now! :LOL
#11 of 13 Old 03-25-2004, 04:51 PM

Every time I've seen this thread come up in the new threads...I do some more kegels!
#12 of 13 Old 03-25-2004, 08:23 PM

I tried to do a few sets every day with both of my pregnancies. Probably not as many as I should have. I have never had a problem with incontinence though, even while nine months pg or days after giving birth and I'm as tight as I was pre kids according to dh
#13 of 13 Old 03-25-2004, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all your input lovely ladies. and yes, this has definitely gotten me thinking kegel all the time. i need some stickers or something to remind me daily!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page