For those of you worried about birthing a big baby: - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
don't! My friend gave birth to a 13-pounder last night, no drugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 03:55 PM

Woweee!!! Now THAT is a big baby!

I'm not shocked she did it without drugs, per se, but to do it at all (especially to "be allowed" to do it at all) is pretty impressive!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Hee hee, that's great! I have a nephew who is a great advertisement for natural childbirth, too. He was born at almost 12 pounds, and my sister describes it as painless!

An ultrasound not long before he was born estimated him at 9 pounds. We all know about ultrasound inaccuracies, but sometimes they're in the mama's favor!

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaramba View Post
Woweee!!! Now THAT is a big baby!

I'm not shocked she did it without drugs, per se, but to do it at all (especially to "be allowed" to do it at all) is pretty impressive!
Well, it was at a freestanding birth center, with only midwife care. So less shocking!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 PM

awesome! My good friend likes to say, "fat squishes!"

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 PM

fat squishes, it's really the head circumference that matters, and even little babies can have big heads. my 6lb10oz baby had a 75th percentile head once it popped back out. or big babies can have small head. and either way the head can squish and the mom's pelvis expand. I really hate that our culture puts such and emphasis on babies' weight.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post
fat squishes, it's really the head circumference that matters, and even little babies can have big heads. my 6lb10oz baby had a 75th percentile head once it popped back out. or big babies can have small head. and either way the head can squish and the mom's pelvis expand. I really hate that our culture puts such and emphasis on babies' weight.
Just like it does on everyone's weight, which has very little to do with anything. I've said this elsewhere, but I'm just under the US average height, wear a size 6-8 dress, have a 29" waist... and am obese, according to BMI (which is just height vs. weight). DH is also obese-- he has a 31" waist (and is a very muscular athlete).
Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaramba View Post
Just like it does on everyone's weight, which has very little to do with anything. I've said this elsewhere, but I'm just under the US average height, wear a size 6-8 dress, have a 29" waist... and am obese, according to BMI (which is just height vs. weight). DH is also obese-- he has a 31" waist (and is a very muscular athlete).
agreed, we're very obsessed with numbers, especially for such a genetically diverse society. DD is below the 5th percentile for weight, I'm glad I have a ped who's willing to look at her, and look at me (and my mom because he's her doc as well) and say she's healthy and as long as she keeps gaining he's okay with it, because obviously she has my genetics.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

User Tag List