Delayed cord clamping, dangerous? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
My OB had to stop the nurse from coming in to give the pitocin for active management of third stage of labor (placental delivery) - which would have meant that I couldn't do delayed clamping of the cord.
Why would Pitocin rule out delayed cord clamping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
Suctioning shouldn't be done in the case of meconium stained amniotic fluid any how (unless baby is non-vigorous).
I was told I had no choice in this matter and since I was already at the pushing stage, I wasn't in the mood to argue. My son was taken across the room by the NICU team for a few minutes after he was born.

I asked during prenatal care whether they could wait to see whether the pitocin shot was necessary before giving it, and I was looked at as if I was suicidal for making such a request. But my doctor (the one who didn't get there in time) said that they could delay the shot until after the cord was clamped. This turned into a non-issue because the meconium staining "necessitated immediate clamping." Still, I have no recollection of getting the pitocin shot. I actually thought they had forgotten until I asked my doula and she said I had gotten it.

Clearly I am still bitter about this, but everything leading up to the delivery was 100% natural.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post
I was told I had no choice in this matter and since I was already at the pushing stage, I wasn't in the mood to argue. My son was taken across the room by the NICU team for a few minutes after he was born.

I asked during prenatal care whether they could wait to see whether the pitocin shot was necessary before giving it, and I was looked at as if I was suicidal for making such a request. But my doctor (the one who didn't get there in time) said that they could delay the shot until after the cord was clamped. This turned into a non-issue because the meconium staining "necessitated immediate clamping." Still, I have no recollection of getting the pitocin shot. I actually thought they had forgotten until I asked my doula and she said I had gotten it.

Clearly I am still bitter about this, but everything leading up to the delivery was 100% natural.
I totally feel you. Hugs mama!! Ds2 had immediate clamping and was whisked away for suctioning because of meconium staining as well. The birth was also completely natural...I didn't even have an IV or even a heplock so I really do know how you feel. This led me to do a lot of research and I found out that it's completely non-evidence based to suction and that no medical body recommends suctioning for meconium staining....it also goes against the NRP. The only exception is if baby is born non-vigorous and the airways need to be cleared for resuscitation. Ds3 also had meconium staining but this time, no suctioning (homebirth). So *finally* with my third baby, we did delayed cord clamping for the first time and it was also the first time out of three that I was able to hold my baby right away.

Oh and they did give me a shot of pitocin in my thigh with that hospital birth. I didn't have the energy to fight it because they told me I was having massive bleeding and I was scared to death of what was going on with my baby across the room. boo.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
Why would Pitocin rule out delayed cord clamping?
Well, from what I read in the research and discussed with OB, the pitocin in the third stage could cause stronger contractions of blood (rushes of it) into baby's system in an out-of-ordinary way (or something like that and I'm sure the terms are wrong in my description). Basically what I read said that you should have a natural, non-pit third stage with delayed clamping so that it works right.

It's been a few years since I was researching it, though, the information I found might be out of date by now?

....And, I didn't want pitocin for the third stage anyway. I had been really upset when I realized it had been given to me after dd1's birth ("hospital protocol").

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe that pit alone, rather than a full managed 3rd stage, is done by some UK midwives. It would certainly be worth researching if you were at risk for PPH.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Here is a study from the Chochrane Collaboration. It suggests that it doesn't help with PPH, but it may help with higher iron stores for baby.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/coc...074/frame.html

And this study also from the Chochrane Collaboration suggests that delayed cord clamping for preterm babies improves their health.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/coc...248/frame.html

The AAP also had an article with the same findings, but you have to pay to see the full text.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
Suctioning shouldn't be done in the case of meconium stained amniotic fluid any how (unless baby is non-vigorous).
This has been the reecommendation from ACOG since a practice bulletin in Sep of 2009, if I recall correctly!

Though that pp was in Canada...

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 PM

I absolutely wouldn't birth in a hospital in your situation without a doula!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
ETA: In practice, however, we did have a little issue. My OB had to stop the nurse from coming in to give the pitocin for active management of third stage of labor (placental delivery) - which would have meant that I couldn't do delayed clamping of the cord.
Needing pit for 3rd stage doesn't have to mean you can't do regular ('delayed') cord clamping. My MW waited until the cord had stopped pulsing & turned white before clamping & cutting. In my case, it seemed like that happened very quickly (less than 5 min maybe.) AFTER that was done, she was a bit concerned about my bleeding (I think she said there may have been some amniotic sac retained - after she examined the placenta.) At that point, she wanted DS to nurse or she'd give me pit. She waited to see if he'd nurse, but he wasn't interested, so I had a shot of pit.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM

OP,
My OB told me the exact same thing. Its strange too, because she was so excited about my desicion to have a natural birth, with a doula. She was super positive about my entire birth plan, even letting DH catch the baby. But when it came to the delayed cord clamping, I got talked out of it. I wish Id done more research.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sure that others have given you all the info, but I want to reiterate... delayed cord clamping does NOT cause any problems. There is no excessive dangerous blood flow to mother or baby (resulting in excessive blood loss from the other), and it is not affected by position (though, theoretically, if baby is well above or well below mother gravity would affect how long before the cord stopped pulsing).

Just ask her, "If delayed cord clamping is so dangerous, how do other mammals survive? They don't do any kind of clamping and wait to sever the cord until well after it has stopped pulsing." Duh...because it's SUPPOSED to be that way. I honestly don't know where doctors get this information or how on earth their common sense doesn't kick in to tell them how absurd it is.

Also you may want to look up the study done on delayed cord clamping and iron. It found that babies who had delayed cord clamping (1-3 minutes before the cord was clamped) had increased iron stores. Mind you, 1-3 minutes is a FRACTION of the time it takes to stop pulsating. If I remember correctly, it generally takes 30-60 minutes to stop. That's WAY more time than was given in the study and, therefore, we could easily theorize that iron (and other) stores would be much higher if allowed to stop all on its own.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

User Tag List