what is 'invasive birth care' to you? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post
On the other hand, some women may want some comfort and encouragement but be unable to verbalize it so I think that, for homebirth midwives, the key to providing all around non-invasive care is to know when interacting with the mother is going to be welcomed and helpful and when to truly step back.
Excellent point & I totally agree. But how on earth do they actually do that? Really, I"m baffled. I'd have no clue!!

I'm actually concerned now about my HB MW - she's cool with being hands off, but I'm not 100% confident that she really, truly will just stay quiet - do only the bare minimum necessary (check FHT) & leave me alone. (It's nothing against her personally! I just have trouble trusting.)

I read birth stories on her website & the mamas mention the MW & her apprentice suggesting position changes. When does a MW know when to just let mama labor or push as she's doing vs. go ahead & speak up & suggest a position change??? How do you make that call?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post
And, what is it with anaesthesiologists being rude? Are there any polite ones? (Actually I know one, but he doesn't work OB, and I know one nurse anesthetist, who sometimes does, but I'm sure she's not rude).

"You need to hurry up and make a decision whether you want an epidural or not."

"You need to hurry up" is an invasive phrase.
I had epidurals with both my kids. I was never pressured into them. With my fisrt the anaesthesiologist asked me if I was sure I really wanted the epidural because I was so close to delivery. And with my dd, born 2 weeks ago, there was no pressure either. I got the feeling both times that they would have rather not given me the epidural.

My thoughts on what is invasive and what isn't, have really been rocked since delivering my dd in a hospital. It was such a fantastic, respectful, non invasive experience for me. I haven't read all the replies, and am looking forward to going through this thread.

caffix.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page