Hair, to cut or not to cut? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Mine is super thick, coarse, and wavy.  It was down to my waist, all one lenght, when my daughter was born.  Let me tell you, before she was born, I loooved my long hair.  I thought it looked chic and beautiful.  Tons of waves.  I never even spent that much time on my hair.  But afterwards...

She used to rip it out even when it was braided.  It started to look straggly and overwhelmingly huge if it wasn't braided - too thick to ponytail, too massive to put it in a quick bun, absolutely no crown volume whatsoever, no matter what I did, even pinning didn't help.... My face practically disappeared if I left it loose.  So when she was 6 months old I chopped it to my shoulders.  It looked awesome, super healthy.  No more tangles, so easy to care for - a fresh start! Felt like "me" again, not like a "mom" cut, which is what I was afraid of.    When I started shedding at 12 months, it was less drainclogging at half the length.  I've maintained it at my shoulders for about a year now and I think I'm ready to start growing it again.  When it gets long again, it will be healthier than it was before.  No more stragglies!

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#32 of 39 Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofairy View Post

what, you dont like the dumpy mom bun?  :]

Oh my gosh, this is what made me cut my hair.  I had the saddest saddest dumpiest mom bun.

#33 of 39 Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

aww cyclamen! mine is pretty horrendous! 

i have since dyed it pink. i look just as dirty, but now it's punk rock and therefore ok! haha

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#34 of 39 Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM

No "mom cut" for me! I already looked weird enough six months post-partum with my first baby, when all the hair that fell out after he was born started growing back and I had like this weird crewcut thing growing UNDER my long hair. It would have been positively freakish if I'd cut it short on top of that. I assume something similar will happen this time and I'm planning to wear lots of hats...

It's down to the middle of my back now and I think I might grow it a few more inches and then just keep it trimmed. I like to wear it down (I know, I know) but the ability to quickly pull it back in a bun, ponytail, or braid is killer. Short hair doesn't look good on me anyway and I'm having enough problems with my body image right now without adding "ugly hair" to the list.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#35 of 39 Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:

aww cyclamen! mine is pretty horrendous! 

i have since dyed it pink. i look just as dirty, but now it's punk rock and therefore ok! haha

haha

punk - dirty on purpose!  orngbiggrin.gif

#36 of 39 Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 AM

I get headaches with ponytails, braids, buns & the like.  I have a very sensitive scalp, hence I wear a bob & plan on getting a trim the month before baby is due.

#37 of 39 Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 AM

I like my hair just long enough to put in a pony tail, the pony tail is my lazy hair style of choice, keeps the hair out of my way and out of baby's hands smile.gif I like it to not get too long since my hair gets very heavy.

As for when it starts falling out after birth, mine was ~3-4 months PP.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#38 of 39 Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 AM

The only change I made to my hip-length, thick, wavvy hair about a baby was to go no-wash. I brush it out well every day with a spray bottle of water, essential oils, and mild conditioner. I braid it and soak it in water when I take a bath, then brush it out. I actually wash it with shampoo probably once every few months.

I would never cut my hair. I haven't found it hard to deal with at all, having a baby. We'll see how I feel after number two comes around. =)

~Rose

#39 of 39 Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:

my hair fell out when he was 4 to 7 months old,

and then i had these totally awesome little two inch things growing up...

Arrrghh! I have these and loathe them!

I also cut mine pre-birth, for the reasons OP stated. Big, sad horrid regret =(

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page