Hair, to cut or not to cut? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone cut their hair to make it easier to take care of post-baby? I thought I would but I can't really imagine parting with enough of my hair to make a difference. Every time I've ever cut my hair short I regretted it, I don't look good with short or medium length hair.

If you did keep your hair long what tips would you give to make things work out better? Should I invest in scrunchies? How do you keep little fingers out of it? When does it start falling out post-baby?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#2 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had a baby yet, but going by some of my friends-- those who kept their long hair but cut it after subsequent babies, or vice versa-- it's just as easy or easier for many women to keep the long hair. It's actually easier to keep out of baby's hands with an elastic than it is to deal with medium-length or shortish hair that is too short to tie back. Now, if you shaved your head or had a REALLY short cut, that would probably be just as easy.

That said, it also makes a difference how "high maintenance" your long hair is, IYKWIM. Personally, since my long hair is straight-ish and fine-ish, it's very easy to make it look "socially acceptable." I have friends with very thick, curly and/or 3C hair who spend more time straightening it and maintaining it, and I could see where keeping it long might be too much to deal with post-baby.
#3 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM

For me, it's actually much easier to take care of my (very thick, slightly wavy) hair when it's long enough to pull back in a pony tail.
It doesn't need to be washed as often was much easier to get out of the way when my son wanted to mess with it.
I would also really consider carefully that you prefer your hair longer. Everyone is different, but I think that it is often hard enough to feel good about your appearance after a new baby without having a haircut that isn't flattering.
I'd vote to keep it long.
M
#4 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 PM

whenever i had shorter hair i always felt as though i had to wash or at least wet it and put some kind of styling product on it every day, could never just put it in a bun or ponytail, so i agree with pp in that it's really easier IMO to pull hair back in a band or braids, etc. when it's long AND it's easier to hide the fact that maybe it hasn't been washed quite as frequently as you'd like at all times.
#5 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 03:09 PM

I cut my very long hair when my son was about four months old, because I simply could not deal with it anymore. And this was after I swore up and down that I would not do this. But my hair is very thick and the PP shedding was terrible, huge strands all over the house and I was concerned for DS's safety. Plus it was getting in the way of nursing and co-sleeping because no rubberband or scrunchie will contain it for long. Add to this the fact I no longer had the time to color it properly (henna...so I couldn't get it done at a salon).

I do miss my hair from an aesthetic standpoint (especially during Halloween or the Ren Faire! I never needed a wig lol). I do not miss taking care of it. Short hair is much easier, and right now that is what matters more to my sanity.

Here is a before shot.

Here is now.
#6 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM

Someone guaranteed me that I would cut my hair when I had kids.

Nope. My hair has not been an issue at all. I braid it and pin it up when I get dressed in the morning, and I'm good for the entire day. Wash every couple of days. And even with newborns washing it wasn't all that hard.
#7 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I cut my shoulder-length hair short short when J was about 6 weeks old. It is certainly much easier to look after, on a bad day I can just run my fingers through it to straighten it out a bit.

I do miss my long hair but, I'd had it cut after our wedding so it wasn't long long when J was born. It was too short for me to do more than pull it back in a messy ponytail and I hate that look on me. Some people can pull it off really well but I am not one of them. I end up with straggly wisps around my face and this ugly, awkward thing at the back. And I had to tie it back somehow because otherwise it was always in her eyes.

If it had been long enough that I could do my standard long-haired twist-held-with-a-spike-clip hair do then I probably would have kept it long.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 08:13 PM

I prefer a really short layered style, feel it suits me best. With that said, I won't ever have short hair again while pregnant. Because it was so short and in layers, when I had the hair loss after it was very pronounced. I was already in a fragile state after giving birth and suddenly I had practically bald patches.

I agree with what others have said. It depends on the needs of your hair but for myself, being able to just pull it back in a ponytail would make the most sense as far as maintenance.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
#9 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 08:40 PM

I didn't like having shorter hair that needed 'doing.' I find it's easier for me to put my hair in braids or buns, even if it's not as flattering as a styled cut.

Scrunchies or soft elastics are good to keep it from breaking, and french braids keep shorter pieces tucked in.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#10 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 PM

Braids and buns! I have waist-length hair and LOVE it!! However, I only wear it down for special occassions because of my kidlettes. Ponytails are generally not enough for me, I need this stuff contained!! But I have had short hair and find that not only is it harder to care for (i.e. you have to do it every day--I admit, I have been known to put my hair in a quick bun after bathing and forget about it for the rest of the day.) but when I do just clip it back or whatever, it LOOKS like I didn't do it, whereas a braided ponytail looks like I styled it.

Mom of , , , and . Looooooove my SAHHubby and spend a lot of time here ---->
#11 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM

I've had five babies. I cut it short after baby #3, did not like it, and grew it out again. If baby was grabbing at it I put my hair in a bun or pony tail. Usually I just wear it down and tuck it behind my shoulders. I don't plan on ever cutting my hair short. I like it down to my lower back/waist.

Homeschooling Mom of 5 dds reading.gif

Planning my fifth natural birth using Hypnobabies for baby boy coming in June 2012! nocirc.gif

#12 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 PM

I refuse to cut my hair, absolutely refuse! I do wear pony tails a lot when I'm tired, but now that my mojo seems to be coming back, I plan on styling it a bit more like I used to before I had number three. It's just past my shoulders and it can go halfway down my back before I remember to give it a trim. I look good with long hair and am not letting mommyhood take it.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#13 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 PM

I cut my hair when my dd was born, I will not be doing it again this time... I currently wear my hair (mid-back length) pinned up in braids, or up a bun with a ficcare clip. I cut almost 7" of it off this summer and still regret it, I will not be cutting it again. I love my long hair. I'm looking forward to braiding pinning my hair up for labor/birth.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#14 of 39 Old 10-31-2010, 10:17 PM

I am such a low maintenance hair and body person! So for me, shoulder length and longer is best. I'm trying to grow it out right now, but I keep having to get it trimmed because my last haircut ended up being a terrible job, so I have to chop out all these ugly layers as they get long enough, then I'll be able to concentrate on adding length.

My goal is to do a long single braid down my back. But, if I let my hair get too long, the weight of it pinned up or pulled back gives me headaches.

I have decided that short hair, while it looks great and fresh on me, requires too much of my time and attention.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#15 of 39 Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Drastic hair cuts are one of the big no-nos during pregnancy!!!! I went and did it anyway - TWICE - and it was a total disaster.

Hair ties are your friend. Really!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#16 of 39 Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I cut my hair in pregnancy twice and shortly after once. I realized with #3 that I *have* to because it becomes so unmanageable. My hair is stupid thick to begin with and then the thickening that takes place during pregnancy makes it that much more so... Hair cutting is very much a part of pregnancy for me...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#17 of 39 Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 PM

I just had this discussion wit my hairdresser on Friday! My DS (3.5) loves to tweak and play with my hair, which drives me crazy. And I'm sure my new babe (arriving 11/5) will grab and pull on it, too.

However, it is easiest to maintain my fine thin hair when it is long. It is actually MORE work when it is short, because I have to wash/style it more often, and it usually looks AWFUL when I wake up in the morning (which means no quick out-the-door if we are running late...at least, not without a hat of some sort!). It is collar-bone length right now, so I can easily pin up the front or pull it back in a tail if I don't have a chance to shower. I'm a little worried about the PP shedding, but this pregnancy actually changed the texture of my hair

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#18 of 39 Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Don't do it! You will regret it! Cut a few inches off and shape it up but don't do anything drastic. Better to make changes gradually if possible so they aren't so shocking.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#19 of 39 Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM

My hair is a wavy/straight (like random wavy parts), fine, and thick mess. If I don't make an effort to "fix" it I look terrible. So, shorter hairstyles don't work for me because I can't always make the effort.

I plan on cutting an inch or so off to clean it up a bit...but that's it. I leave it up in a ponytail 99% of the time. My son learned quickly that grabbing it hurts and that's been the focus of a few tantrums...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#20 of 39 Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM

I have crazy-thick, slightly wavy hair down to my waist. I have cut it off before, and will never ever ever do it again. It's way more work, and ugly too. (Not saying short is ugly on everyone- just me!) While in my everyday life I like it down, during pregnancy and immediately pp, most days I can't stand to have it touching me, and I braid it or wear a head scarf.
I have actually never noticed the pp shedding...I shed a lot anyway, a bit more pp doesn't make any difference
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#21 of 39 Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 AM

i wouldn't cut mine! it's easier to take care of when it's long, in my opinion.
braids are your friend. two over the shoulder braids or one long one down your back. everyone's hair is different but i find that when i do the two braids, it's easy to go longer without upkeep and looks relatively decent. it also keeps little fingers from pulling out individual strands, which is what hurts. yanking on thick braids doesn't hurt. hair fallout is a pain pp, but there's not much you can do about it.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#22 of 39 Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 PM

I did... after both kids. But I do that pretty often... Plan to grow it out and then something (a baby, hot weather, etc) prompts me to cut it off to make it easier. I'm not doing that this time. I swear.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#23 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 AM

Nope. Just because I'm a mom didn't mean I was going to cut my hair to make things "easier". Besides, there's nothing easier than putting it in a ponytail.

Keep it long! I've known many people who have regretted it and made them feel horrible after they gave birth.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#24 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 AM

short postpartum haircut = 1st step to grandma hair

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#25 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I am the rare one that cutting my hair, in pregnancy, made my life less like hell (summer pregnancies, one in the heat of dallas) and after giving birth, it made me look better...

I really think it is the thickness of my hair. I assure you there is such thing as "too thick" and in pregnancy, I reach that point and go far beyond it...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#26 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 01:59 PM

I had long thick wavy hair down my back with ds 1. I kept it long and it was easier to deal with. I could always throw it in a ponytail and keep it out of my way. I usually wore a loose ponytail or half braid to bed and that kept it out of the way while cosleeping. I eventually started cutting it short when ds was 2 and 3. But that is because I think I look better with short hair and I went back to work and wanted to look more professional.

I had shorter hair already when pregnant with ds 2. I kept meaning to get it cut again prior to his birth, but it was still long enough to pull back during labor which turned out to be nice. Plus then my first 2 hours postpartum free time was a trip to the salon which actually turned out to be really nice to get pampered post baby. We often try to pamper ourselves when pregnant but then often don't continue to or find the time to post baby, kwim.
#27 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM

I lived in scrunchies and clips for 30 months, then I had it cut way short. I look and feel soooo much better. I am a short-hair kinda gal, anyway. Plus, the pregnancy had taken all the curl out of my hair, and it took me that long to acknowledge it. I so wish I had done it sooner.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#28 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 03:15 PM

For me, my hair just doesn't look good short. And once my hair becomes too short, it is much harder to deal with. I'd stock up on some various forms of hair ties-scrunchies, elastic bands, jaw clips and/or bobby pins and keep something on you at all times so if you want to throw it up at any point, you can do so easily.

For me, keeping little fingers out was a matter of not really allowing it to happen in the first place. If either of my kiddos got curious about my hair, I'd distract them from it, even at a young age. If DS (1 yr) gets too curious now, I just pull it into a ponytail.

I've noticed an increase in shedding around 2 months pp. I just brush my hair a few extra times to get it out and am sure to brush it before I get in the shower to make sure it doesn't clog the drain.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#29 of 39 Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM

what, you dont like the dumpy mom bun?  :]

i just kept the ends trimmed to keep it from getting dready.

braids were helpful in the newborn days.

my hair fell out when he was 4 to 7 months old,

and then i had these totally awesome little two inch things growing up...

i'm glad i kept it long though.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#30 of 39 Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I kept mine long - and I mean, hip-length - but only by sheer bloody-mindedness. :p I did NOT want to cave and get the "mom cut" - having long hair is part of my identity, as pathetic as that sounds. Unfortunately I was also doing water-only washing at the time, which wasn't as low-maintenance as advertised, for me. My hair got pretty gross without a lot of boar bristle brushing and grooming. So after a few months I switched to baking soda/apple cider vinegar washes, which made things considerably easier - and since then I've switched up to all sorts of methods, depending on the day. Conditioner-only, Indian herbs, however the spirit moves me.

Honestly, my hair (which is now longer than hip-length - I can sit on it) is a pain more often than not, but I like having it around for the days I actually want to do a fancy crown braid (a la my avatar!) or whatever. And it never looked good short when I was a kid, so I don't want to risk it. After this baby, I might get it cut shorter - like, back to waist-length - because it does actually make a difference in terms of feeling more low-maintenance, but I can still do all my hairstyles.

I always wear my hair up anyway, so baby-grabbing was never an issue. (DD does try to "help" me brush it when it's down, though - ulp!) Bunned or braided hair is really impressively baby-proof - whereas a chin-length bob has all these little tempting dangly ends that can't be secured without a good deal of fuss (cornrows? lots of gel? a really wide headband? I dunno!).

Also, yeah, hennaing postpartum sucks. It's a pain at the best of times, but I had pretty ghastly roots by the time I got around to hennaing after I had DD! Still, that's not a hair length issue... and I wasn't willing to give up my red hair. At least it was cheap and didn't require me to put clothes on and go to the hairdresser!

So anyway: I know PP haircuts can make some ladies feel like new women. But if you WANT to keep your hair, fight for it! :) Don't just chop it because that's what mums do - chances are you'll regret it, and feeling sad about that is the last thing you need post-partum.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page