Good Luck, Illinois! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I wasn't sure where to post this--it's not an "actionable" item really, and there's already an "Activism" thread going about what to do. 

I just wanted to send some special thoughts, prayers, and vibes to you Illinois birthies out there!

As you're probably aware, Illinoisans are desperately trying to pass the home birth safety act to allow licensed CPMs.  With the AMA headquartered there and an otherwise strong "medigarchy" controlling public policy, these brave activists have nothing short of an uphill battle. 

This has been on my brain especially because I descend from an Illinois midwife who practiced in the Peoria area during the mid-19th century.  orngbiggrin.gif  Then I read this piece

(written a few years ago, but still pretty on-target) and started thinking about how the poor woman must be rolling in her grave right now!

Opponents of this bill, in the end, will fail.  I'm truly optimistic.  They cannot produce one reasonable argument in favor of  treating Certified Professional Midwives as common criminals, and anybody with a shred of intellectual honesty knows it.  thumbsup.gif

Good luck, Illinois!  No matter how many tries it takes, you WILL succeed!!

Oh, and would one of you please post updates???  TIA!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I really, really hope this goes through.  But honestly...not very hopeful with the history in this state. :(

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ah, and I am more hopeful than ever because of the history of Illinois!

To one degree or another, I have been involved with Illinois midwifery legislation since 1979,  Although the last few years have been taken up with law school (I graduated in 2009), I have done the phone calling and the letter writing and the lobbying in Springfield and the testifying before the legislative committee.  And even though I am not very active at the moment (though I hope that will change -- a former prosecuted-CPM-turned-attorney could be a potent weapon!) I still watch very carefully.

The people who are currently the most actively involved in Illinois midwifery legislation have learned from the past.  They have learned from what has worked in other states, and they have aligned themselves closely with the resources and strengths of The Big Push.  It has been astounding to see how they have built on Illinois' history!  There is every reason to be optimistic this time around -- we have never been closer to licensed midwives than we are now!

Valerie

Former prosecuted CPM

Current RN (after six years of a suspended license)

Current JD -- licensed IL attorney

Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'm a supporter of CPM/homebirth in Illinois, but this bill outright bans primary HBACs, which is bad.  If it passes in its current form it will take years (like 30 years) to fix, if it ever gets fixed at all.  IMHO, better to delay it for 3-5 years and get it right the first time around.  Why does Illinois have to be so stupid?  *sigh*

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 AM

"Stupid"? A little harsh, aren't we? Please bear in mind that those of us in Illinois have been working on a bill for MORE THAN THIRTY YEARS. During that time, many midwives have been prosecuted out of existence, leaving few options for any women wishing a midwife-attended homebirth. Those who are currently working on legislation are doing the very best they can to pass a licensure law that will allow the greatest number of options for the most people. Delaying it for "3-5 years and get it right the first time around" simply is not possible in this state. Even if the bill doesn't get "fixed" to allow primary HBACs, please consider that in its present form, the bill is still likely to help prevent the need for primary HBACs by allowing women to choose homebirths with a licensed midwife. In the "3-5 years" you suggest, how many more women will end up with C-sections who would otherwise have had a vaginal birth at home? Do we really want to proclaim that if Illinois licensed midwives cannot attend primary HBACs, they shouldn't get to attend any births? All or nothing?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the midwives in Illinois! I grew up in that state, and all my family members still live there. I was so surprised to learn about IL policies regarding homebirth, etc, and am grateful to have found myself pregnant while living in Madison, WI where the CPMs are plentiful and homebirth isn't too much of a rarity.

I see your points, Valerie. The all or nothing argument is a classic argument in politics over all kinds of issues. In this case, I think you're right. Getting at least SOMETHING on the books now would be a wonderful step in the right direction.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

User Tag List