Hypnobirthing: yay or nay? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I agree with you completely, Heather.  Any class is going to be superior to taking no class.  As you pointed out, your HypnoBirthing instructor did include a natural childbirth education as part of your class, and that is what made it effective for you.  She is not actually allowed to do that and still use the HypnoBirthing name, but some instructors see the shortcomings of the program and supplement it where necessary, as she did.  The instructor I had only taught the official HypnoBirthing curriculum, which is sketchy at best, and did not include even the basic childbirth information I needed to make the birth the safest it could be for my baby.  I had even been taught that movement is unnecessary as long as mom stays relaxed, and that if I'm relaxing "correctly", I would not push!  My body really needed me to move to help my baby down the birth canal, and my baby experienced shoulder dystocia, so clearly I needed to push no matter how relaxed I was.  The lack of information, and relaxation skills that left me unable to follow my body's lead, contributed to the complications I experienced and put my baby and me at risk.  That is why I recommend other programs over HypnoBirthing in most cases.  There are some instructors who teach a complete and useful course while still using the HypnoBirthing name, but many others only teach the official curriculum.  Since all of them use the same name for the course, there is no way to know until the class is over whether you are going to learn what you wanted to learn or not.  But there are other classes and programs that are taught consistently, so everyone taking it, no matter where or when, will get the same information and leave fully prepared for any scenario they might encounter. 

Those of us who are saying that Hypnobabies was a better choice than HypnoBirthing are generally doing so because we used both and in many cases were left traumatized or at least highly disappointed in HypnoBirthing, and want to save others that heartache.  Do women have great births using HypnoBirthing?  Absolutely!  For a quick, straight-forward birth with a fully supportive birthing team, it can be all a woman needs to have a lovely birth.  In fact, I recommend it for some women I encounter who have had some natural births, have all the natural childbirth information they need, and are just looking for a bit more focus and relaxation during their birth.  But for a first-time mom, or someone who is going for their first unmedicated birth, there are just too many variables that aren't addressed in HypnoBirthing.  I learned that the hard way, and want to spare others that experience whenever possible.

#32 of 43 Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Didn't do a class, just read the hypnobirth book and used the CD's.  Prepped hubby with a combo of the hypnobirth stuff and Bradley method tidbits (Bradley seemed more guy oriented on somethings and seemed to click better for him)  Also took a general prep class with my hospital midwives group that touched on many techniques.

LOVED the hypnobirth tools!  Great for helping me get back to sleep with all the night time peeing and baby wiggling around.  Great for helping me relax when I started having some minor blood pressure issues at the end.  Great for my labor up until transition.  (I think transition is just really tough for some people no matter what you do)  But even though transition was uncomfortable and a little scary for me because I progressed quickly and was still at home, it helped me stay calm and stay on top of the process.  (I woke up at 1:30, got to the hospital at 6:30, baby out at 8:30)

I informed by hubby on the way there "I was having an epi if I wanted it".  (for fear as a first time mom that I still had many hours to go)  When i found out I was completely dialated and ready to go, I felt very capable of pushing the baby out.  Settled right in with my headphones on and did my thing!!  Couldn't always listen to the hypno stuff during the last part, sometimes it was too distracting.  I switched back and forth between that and a general relaxing music play list. 

I think what helped me was that my goal was never "pain free", my goals were manageable labor, no meds, no interventions.  Tried really hard to keep a lot of the "go with the flow of your body" mentality that the midwives had been prepping with. 

Good luck to you!

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#33 of 43 Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 PM

I just came across a nice hypnobirthing article on the yahoo news main page.  I didn't do hypnobirthing because I hadn't heard of the "method" when my babies were born, but it's neat to see these things in the mainstream news.  Here is the link, seems to be Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703493504576007512674579874.html?mod=yhoofront   

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#34 of 43 Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM

nice article, the comments section is both amusing and seriously depressing

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#35 of 43 Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

I don't find the comments surprising at all.  It is a reflection of what most people in our society believe about birth. People often have a knee-jerk negative reaction the first time they hear something they've never heard before that is contrary to their past experience.  But some people looking for alternatives will be attracted to hypnobirthing by the positive attention in the news, how else might they hear of this type of birth?  Not from their doctor... 

#36 of 43 Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 PM

oh yeah i dont find the comments surprising at all either

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#37 of 43 Old 12-24-2010, 04:24 PM

I dont have much to add other than I did the hypnobabies home study course and it was amazing. My birth wasn't discomfort free but it was totally manageable. I did read the hypnobirthing book and it was helpful but I needed more which is why I found hypnobabies.

I don't think you should discount either method for fear of bring told your past birth experience was 'wrong' or your fault. Which hypnobabies doesn't teach by the way. The birth you have is the birth you needed to have or the birth that was meant to be.

That said, hypnobabies helped me immensely.
#38 of 43 Old 12-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Oh and I didn't make a big deal about terminology of pressure waves, birthing time, etc. The nurses calling them contractions or me experiencing back labor didn't make me or my method fall apart.
#39 of 43 Old 12-27-2010, 09:21 AM

I wish I had time to read through all the replies here.  There's some really good info in here that I'll be filing away!!

In my own experience, I tend to shy away from anything with a one size fits all mentality.  If you look through the curriculum and you think that there might be some tips and tricks that will help YOU, then by all means, give it a go.  But to assume that what works for one laboring woman will automatically work for EVERY laboring woman just seems silly.

Put a lot of tricks in your labor bag.  Then, if one doesn't work, you have something else to grab thumb.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#40 of 43 Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

In my own experience, I tend to shy away from anything with a one size fits all mentality.  If you look through the curriculum and you think that there might be some tips and tricks that will help YOU, then by all means, give it a go.  But to assume that what works for one laboring woman will automatically work for EVERY laboring woman just seems silly.

Put a lot of tricks in your labor bag.  Then, if one doesn't work, you have something else to grab thumb.gif

Thanks for the advice Italiamom! I agree with you completely.

#41 of 43 Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I wish I had time to read through all the replies here.  There's some really good info in here that I'll be filing away!!

I couldn't agree with you more, Italiamom, and that is exactly why I chose Hypnobabies!  It includes a complete natural childbirth education, complete with all the tips and suggestions used by other non-hypnosis classes to increase mom's comfort.  It includes a great deal of information on a variety of approaches for moms or birth partners to consider, and encourages moms to follow her instincts and do what feels appropriate.  But it also includes wonderful post-hypnotic suggestions that lead most women to experience increased endorphins, less stress, greater confidence and better sleep during pregnancy as well as increased confidence, comfort and endorphin release during the birth.  My Hypnobabies skills made it far easier for me to use movement during my birth, remain coherent enough to easily vocalize my needs to my birthing team and kept me confident and calm enough to smoothly follow my instincts and meet my body's needs.  Hypnobabies can not only be used beautifully in tandem with non-hypnosis childbirth techniques, it actually makes those techniques more effective for most people.   Your post isn't very clear, but it seemed that you were saying that you consider childbirth hypnosis to be a "one-size-fits-all" approach to birth and I wanted to make it clear that it is most distinctly not true in the case of Hypnobabies.

#42 of 43 Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Hi there.  I just gave birth to my first child on Dec. 10th at home.  I recall looking in to hypnobirthing early on, but my midwife shared her concern that the method can set you up for unrealistic expectations of having a pain-free birth. That said, she recommended taking a birth class that covers many different practices and techniques.  We ended up taking a class with other couples who where planning home births.  With all the reading and classes, I have to say that at the end of the day, my body did it's own thing.  Even in the throws of pushing, I remember looking to the midwife saying "It hurts...tell me what to do" and she just said "you are doing it.  keep doing what you are doing."  During the last month of pregnancy, my midwife noticed the baby was in a posterior position, so she recommended I do inversions and check out SpinningBabies.com.  I did the inversion with my knees on the couch and head on the floor in the mornings and evenings for weeks.  I also saw a chiropractor a few times.  I don't know what turned the baby, but something worked.  Good luck with your second birth!

#43 of 43 Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM

I used Hypnobabies with my 2nd.  I felt that it was helpful.  My birth was by no means painless, and I had no fear.  I believe some women have painless births - I've met some and I don't think they're lying.  I do not believe ALL women can have painless births, that if you do have a painful birth it's somehow your own fault, or that birth is not supposed to be painful.  I believe hypnosis is a kind of mental trick where you teach yourself to reinterpret what you're feeling, so you believe it's something other than pain.  That does not, IMO, mean that birth is inherently painless, that if you have pain it's because you didn't do things the right way, or because you were too afraid, or whatever.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page